Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Quick Release Safety Harness???

Forum for kitesurfers
SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster

Quick Release Safety Harness???

Postby SpaceRacer » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:50 pm

Anything out there presently? In a freak incident this summer, I had a slack line wrap around my QR and my spreader bar hook. Pulled my QR but kite would not release. Terrifying. Fortunately the wind was not strong or I would have been toast. Was able to calm down and work it all out. But in the event I hadn't, wished that I could just ditch my entire spreader bar or even my freaking harness if I had to. Anyone have any leads on this?

HowieD
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Quick Release Safety Harness???

Postby HowieD » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:25 pm

You should be considering a safety knife in those circumstances. Agree being able to ditch the harness would've solved your problem if the kite had powered up, but what if the slack line had wrapped around your ankle, leg, arm etc. or around the release mechanism to ditch the harness if there were one?

I guess the harnesses with the clicker type bar (e.g. Mystic) would allow you to ditch everything.

KiteboardingTampaBay
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa Bay area
Brand Affiliation: School owner,Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
Tampa Bay Kiteboarding Association
Freak Dog Kites
Has thanked: 0

Postby KiteboardingTampaBay » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:50 am

Slingshot Surefire spreader bar, if you can find one. It has a "slap" release that lets the hook itself open up. Around 100 USD is the cost. Not sure if they're still making them...(???)
You'll probably get a bunch of Surefire haters on here, but I believe them to be the quickest way to release the kite- hands down, and it gives my students more peace of mind to have two primary safety releases.
I have heard all the stories about them breaking, (one of mine broke on me after 5 1/2 years of 100% reliable operation :thumb: ), but your kite still flags to the leash. There's definitely room for improvement, but its THE SPOT where you are connected to the kite, and the most overlooked area in safety. Maybe some innovaters around here will come up with better designs (hint, hint :wink: )
As far as kite knives go, most of them are junk and the micro pouch that comes with it makes it even worse. (We need some friggin' Freddie Kreuger Ginsu gloves or something!. :rollgrin: :idea: )
There's many discussions here that offer some good alternatives to single blades.

Good luck :bye:
www.kiteboardingtampabay.com

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:01 am

If you dont need to unhook, you dont need a hook, and could use a version of this.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2350471&start=140

Return to “Kitesurfing”