Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North Race LTD 2010 ?

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: North Race LTD 2010 ?

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:12 pm

mikelet wrote:That's it...the rails.......
Really don't understand why a board designed to perform flat and rely all the force and lift to the fins has full hard rails,it makes no sense for me and don't feel right under the feet,add strong winds and chop and a fat tailed quad surfboard will do the job........ :lol:
Easy - it does NOT only rely on the fins, and it is NOT always ridden flat 8)

And the release is much better (less drag) with the hard rails :thumb:

But of course on cost of control when turned, just like waveboards (well, depending on where and how, but in general terms)

8) Peter

Clarencephil
Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride

Postby Clarencephil » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:25 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
napeaguekiter wrote:I have spent quite a bit of time on the 2009 North LTD. I found it very fast and comfortable upwind but lots of pressure on the rear leg when reaching. Jibing the board is not easy because the nose is very narrow (background: for the last 3 years I have been using a 5'5" directional wave board 90% of the time and am very comfortable jibing).
I then tried the Airush Monaro. It is a tad slower than the North, much more comfortable to ride on a reach, the rail holds better in high speed jibes and it is much easier to jibe (wider outline in the front). As I am not using the board for competition but as a lightwind board I decided to buy the Monaro. It is a much more balanced ride, less extreme and more forgiving than the North.
Nice to see !

How many brands (big serial production, not limited or special customs) are having raceboards or freeride raceboards now ?

North have had two, the Race LTD 2009 and now 2010.
Airush has the Monaro.
Ocean Rodeo has the ?
And others ?

Kindly, Peter Frank

And RRD

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:19 pm

Actually, I am quite amazed to realize something new.

Having spoken to lots of brands and their "team" both riders and designers/responsible, not necessarily connected with racing as such - a lot of them rides raceboards as it is awesome fun in light wind, and to play around and do trips also.

But most wont launch raceboards as a product yet because it evolves so quickly that it would be impossible at this early state, and the very "racing" (not freeride) market is very small, and not as "hot and smart" for many :-?

Part of it the same situation as waveboards 4 years ago - too many changes too fast so to speak...

Am quite amazed to see how many actually rides raceboards just for fun around the world, those having the option that is :thumb:

Well, I understand it myself - but you see/hear very little about raceboards :wink:

Will be interesting to see what happens from now on regarding ultimate light wind weapons :naughty:

Kindly, Peter Frank

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:36 pm

Bruno Sroka has been very successfully developing race gear for Cabrinha, and they seem to have made the 2010 Xbow more of a race kite, but they are taking a poll about course racing, and seem to be trying to figure out what to launch in the lightwind market.

http://www.cabrinhakites.com/component/ ... acing.html

It will be interesting to see how North do, with their full on race boards versus Airush with their more freeride boards. In light winds, which usually have fairly small chop, I think the extra edge the racer has might make it more exciting to use.

surfpilot
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby surfpilot » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:27 am

Here's another picture...

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:47 am

There's a good article by Steph Bridge in the Dec/Jan issue of Kiteworld Magazine, about getting into racing, with some info on fins for the 2010 LTD.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:35 pm

Just got the 2010 mounted with straps/fins now - it arrived monday but havent had time to get it / buy it, till now.

The finish and surface looks really awesome - and the design is so simple and sleek - no cut aways or funny edges or anything (which I hate), but a clean design.

Very appealing to the eye IMO, also the carbon strips, no matter if mostly for looks...

What stroke me, I did not expect, was that the 2010 is quite thin - the 2009 was relatively thick in fact.
Also, the edges are not as boxy and fully sharp like the 2009, but a bit tucked under on the 2010 and thinner rails also.

All in all should in theory give much better control, and still max tail planing surface and area for fast and easy tacking (as the nose is thin but wider) - and most of all, the ability to glide/float through long lulls (which the 2009 could not - only short lulls when you were planing).

But thats all theory - will see if the wind is okay tomorrow for the first testing and see how it holds up in real life up here on the other side of the world from you PaulOz and OzBungy (where the water runs the other way around in the zink) :thumb:

Kindly, Peter Frank

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:19 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:Just got the 2010 mounted with straps/fins now - it arrived monday but havent had time to get it / buy it, till now.

The finish and surface looks really awesome - and the design is so simple and sleek - no cut aways or funny edges or anything (which I hate), but a clean design.

Very appealing to the eye IMO, also the carbon strips, no matter if mostly for looks...

What stroke me, I did not expect, was that the 2010 is quite thin - the 2009 was relatively thick in fact.
Also, the edges are not as boxy and fully sharp like the 2009, but a bit tucked under on the 2010 and thinner rails also.

All in all should in theory give much better control, and still max tail planing surface and area for fast and easy tacking (as the nose is thin but wider) - and most of all, the ability to glide/float through long lulls (which the 2009 could not - only short lulls when you were planing).

But thats all theory - will see if the wind is okay tomorrow for the first testing and see how it holds up in real life up here on the other side of the world from you PaulOz and OzBungy (where the water runs the other way around in the zink) :thumb:

Kindly, Peter Frank
Hope you have some nice weather, wind....must already be pretty cold up north, is your spot Ebeltoft?
Out of my travels through Danemark, I can tell you, you are a really lucky guy to have such nice and many spots.
Is Kitesurfing allowed on all your coast and fjords?
Anxious to hear your comments on the 2010 and comparision with the 2009
Frank

Samaculus
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Samaculus » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:23 am

Good luck, Peter! :bye:

I hope you have a great ride, and that the North Race LTD 2010 performs as you hope it will. I'm crossing my fingers! :wink:

Also, could someone fill me in on the relation between edges and rails? As far as I understand it, the edge is the bottom of the rail, and the rail is the long, thin sides of the board. Right? The sharper the edge (more angular) the sharper the rail. Is this considered the same as a hard rail? What is meant by soft rails? Rounded edges? Thanks for the info! :)

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:43 am

Samaculus wrote:The sharper the edge (more angular) the sharper the rail. Is this considered the same as a hard rail? What is meant by soft rails? Rounded edges? Thanks for the info! :)
A hard rail is sharp and boxy and good for going upwind. A soft rail is rounded and better for turning.

I just got my North LTD but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

:wink: CG

Return to “Kitesurfing”