Rorke
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unofficial Eclipse '09 bar mod for use with the Kima

Postby Rorke » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:09 pm

5/10/10 update. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2364344

I got a couple of pm's regarding how I changed my bar for my Kima's. **NOTE - I am a just some mediocre enthusiast; not a designer, pro, etc. The following is just my personal preference.

The throw is too short on the Eclipse '09 controls. I can almost reach the bar when it is pushed all the way out with zero depower applied. At this point, the kite still has a good amount of power.
The bummer is, when you do pull in the depower line, the block just comes closer to you so you don't have to reach out as far. However, you can't actually further depower the kite.

So I tried the Kima with a couple of other "long throw" set ups and was super impressed by how much you can sheet out and still fly the kite.

On the Eclipse ’09 controls, the white line below the Mickey Mouse ears to the block (pulley), is way too long. And the depower throw is too short.
What I ended up doing is modifying my '09's to have about 3 times the throw available (not that you have to use it, as the stopper can be set wherever you want).

1. Ditch the little safety line. The Kima (and many modern kites) luffs so much when the bar is let go, that I don't think it's necessary. An alternative is described below.

2. Shorten the white line below the Mickey Mouse ears to about 1/3 of its original length. Splice it to the ears (Splicing is simple, anyone can do it)

3. Lengthen the depower line. How much? Add double the overall reduction of the white line, plus 6". (NOTE - you can't just measure the amount of the white line that was cut off. That doesn't account for the length lost in the splice. Basically, just subtract the new length after splicing from the original length. Then, add double that measurement, plus 6", to the length of the original depower line.)
I wrote down the proper lengths, but I can't find them. Damn it.

4. Feed the standing end (not the cleating end) through a plastic stopper of the depower line. Knot it under the stopper with 6” below (which is why you have to add 6” in step 3). Tie a bowline at the end of this for the leash attachment. (on the left in the photo. Mine is longer than 6”, excessive)

5. (optional) I fixed a knot in the working end (the cleating end). I put this where it would give the kite a little back stall when I ease to this knot. If I don’t want back stall, then I bring it in about 2”. You can just set the little plastic stopper where I put the knot, but there are two advantages to the knot. 1. More line to grab aft of the knot. 2. If you screw up your lengths from step 3. you can make minor adjustments by where you put the knot.
(NOTE - Since the front lines stretch more than the backs, these 2” will become more like 3” then 4” etc. As this happens, the stopper knot position will have too much backstall. So just lengthen your backs appropriately, and you’re back to square one. It’s about time I do this).

Here is where I ride pretty much at full power with no backstall.

Here is the maximum depower where I can still fly the kite.

That’s a ton of depower! I’ve never had another kite that can handle this much. Many kites won’t steer, and they are too prone to Hindenburging and inverting.

This amount of depower is only good for heading downwind, riding a wave, standing on the beach, etc. If you have this much depower, and you try to heading upwind, you CAN invert the kite. So just power up anytime you are going to put a lot of load on the kite.

Obviously, there comes a time where you just have to go down a size. Still, the Kima has got insane range.

It’s a trip when you can depower the hell out of this kite on a wave. It really does just hang in the sky. Sure, the lines eventually slack, and the kite will eventually start to fall from lack of lift, but it recovers so fast that you can really push it to the limits.
And, yes, I have dumped the kite in the drink several times by going too far. But you know what it’s like when you’re just on that killer wave that won’t quit.

3 struts? Delta? Bridle configuration? Combo of all of these? Beats me, but it works great.

Last, the best part about my Eclipse ’09 control bar is that it’s paid for. If you have the coin, just buy a different brand with longer throw! The new ’10 gear is as sweet as I am broke. :thumb:
Last edited by Rorke on Mon May 10, 2010 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeza
Rare Poster

Re: Unofficial Eclipse '09 bar mod for use with the Kima

Postby Jeza » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:16 am

Thanks for posting some pics of your setup Rorke.

I'm flying my Kima with the 08 Eclipse bar and was wondering how much it limits upper range of the Kima - a fair bit by the looks. I'll definately give it a go with my Slingshot bar and see how it goes with the extra bar throw.

Your mods to the 09 bar look good. Guess you could do away with the short peice of line from the mickey mouse ears and connect to the block directly with a stainless D shackle, it would make the mod even easier. This is what i did when adding a block to my Slingshot bar.

Looks like a lot of depower pulled in on the bar...

Cheers!

Rorke
Frequent Poster

Postby Rorke » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:37 am

Jeza wrote: Your mods to the 09 bar look good. Guess you could do away with the short peice of line from the mickey mouse ears and connect to the block directly with a stainless D shackle, it would make the mod even easier. This is what i did when adding a block to my Slingshot bar.
Cheers!
That is what I did in my first version. But I put some line back in so I can reach my bar easier when it's all the way out.
If I have the kite depowered 20% or so (not a lot anyway) the bar is within reach.
The angle of the photo makes that line look shorter than it is.

The Slingshot bar works great.

Rorke
Frequent Poster

Postby Rorke » Mon May 10, 2010 11:00 pm

If you are broke, you can follow the directions above.

If you have $50, buy an LF CPR retro kit.

Very worth it.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2364344

sabukha
Rare Poster

Postby sabukha » Thu May 13, 2010 8:19 am

How much do mickey mouse ears and other merchandise cost in disneyland paris? im going to paris and i have NO idea of how much to bring with me!!! so, how much does ice cream and face painting cost??? and how much do mickey mouse ears??? and hoodies and stuff???

Return to “Kitesurfing”