Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Can I trick Iberia - Will deceiver golfbag work?

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
basti_1984
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby basti_1984 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:14 am

Hello everbody,

I am eagerly waiting for New Years as I will be heading over for a three week trip to Ceara, Brazil until mid January. From what I have heard this should still be in the windy season however already past the peak period which is in November.

I am now contemplating which kites to take. My quiver consists of 4 JN Primadonna 2: 13m, 11m, 9m and 7m. I love them all and each one is fun as hell when flown in its ideal windrange. My initial plan was to take the 13,11 and 9 and leave the 7 at home as I thought it would not be nuking around this time of the season anymore. However a friend just came back from a two week trip and he said he was overpowered on his 8m quite often. This makes me wonder if the wind really is that much weaker in the beginning of January. Any suggestions on what to pack?

I might also just take all of my ktes to be on the safe side..however I am flying with Iberia from Europe and it looks like I am in for a 150 EUR kiteluggage surcharge unless they buy my golf luggage story...Btw. gear has to be registered in advance and Iberia has a right to refuse transport if not registered 24 hours before departure. Anyone who has expereince with Iberia and kite "golf" luggage?

Lastly I am curious about the different spots in Ceara. It looks like New Years we will be staying in Cumbucu for a few days before moving west to Paracurru and Prea. Which of these locations offers the strongest winds for our part of the season as I heard there are some differences...?
Last edited by basti_1984 on Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cumbuco-Guesthouse
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco
Favorite Beaches: Lagoon of Cauipe

Re: Brazil for New Years - Which sizes to pack and where to go?

Postby Cumbuco-Guesthouse » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:18 am

Hi there

the more up north you will normally get stronger wind … !

E.g Prea would be more windy than Cumbuco …

Greetings from Cumbuco

www.Cumbuco-Guesthouse.com

Philippino
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Bulabog, Philippines
Prea, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Prea
Boracay island
Gear: North Vegas 9m
Liquid Force Recoilcomp 131

Postby Philippino » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:51 am

Hello!
I was in Brazil (Paracuru and Prea) in september and most of the time I used 9m Vegas.
Sometimes I went out with 5 or 7m kite. I think it would be better to take 13, 9, 7 because
there is no great difference between 11 and 13m.
I flew to Brasil with Iberia from Moscow and they charged 150 euro but on the back way
from Sao Paolo to Moscow they didn't take any extra fee. So it depends on chance and your
persuasive abilities. In SaoPaolo we said about bodyboard.
In Prea the wind was the strongest. Whereas there were no wind in Cumbuco we had 15-20
knot in Prea. This is may be "dunes" effect.
Kiteregards, Vlad

recoprianto
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kitebeach, Maui
Favorite Beaches: Sherman Island, CA; La Ventana, Mexico; all of NE Brazil; Kite Beach, Maui
Style: Freeride
Gear: North Neo, North Dice, Custom Surf, North Team Series
Brand Affiliation: North USA team rider

Postby recoprianto » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:42 pm

I was there same time last year. Was underpowered on my 12 in Cumbuco, but once I was past Piracuru, the 9 and 7 were all I used. Then back to 12 once I got back to Cumbuco. So I say take 13, 9, and 7 and head north as soon as possible.

basti_1984
Rare Poster

Postby basti_1984 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:36 pm

Hey folks,

thanks for the answers. Do you know if Iberia makes you open up the luggage when checking in. I have a NSI Deceiver Golfbag and would like to save the 150 EUR surcharge applicable for kite luggage...anybody has any experience?

Another idea is to register the kite luggage in advance as per offical rules and then try to check in as golf luggage and if it fails I still got the offical reservation for kite gear. Problem is that if kite luggage is not registered at least 24 hours prior to departure they are entitled to refuse taking it on board....

Thanks for any hints,

Basti

poshnbex
Rare Poster

Re: Can I trick Iberia - Will deceiver golfbag work?

Postby poshnbex » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:47 pm

Hi... we had no probs with the fake golf bag between Miami and Madrid on Iberia...

Good luck!

poshnbex

vegasrider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Brand Affiliation: North

Re: Can I trick Iberia - Will deceiver golfbag work?

Postby vegasrider » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:53 pm

Why not take a "true" golfbag (I mean, one of the real golf manufacturers, as they pretty often gnow the good old "naish golf" story) and then take one or two clubs with you. If they let you open the bag, pull out your sand wedge a bit, that worked always fine for me.

Return to “Travel”