SlingShot's at it again!!

Forum for kitesurfers
Johnny TBKS
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Johnny TBKS » Sun Jul 07, 2002 2:33 pm

Anyone hear yet about what SlingShot is doing to their large kites?
Has anyone here tried them out yet? I'd be interested in hearing
what those who have tried them has to say.

Information on their modifications is on the TBKS new page...

http://www.tampabaykitesurf.com/news.html

Johnny

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Arcsrule » Sun Jul 07, 2002 8:24 pm

I haven't heard anything particular about their big kites but i have heard their boards are not holding up and their business practice is not totally honest. I know one dealer who no longer sels their boards and one who totally dropped the slingshot line.

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 07, 2002 9:08 pm

Would anyone really pay $700 for a board these days?
How rich does one have to be to afford a new kiteboard these days, what a bunch of crap.

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Mon Jul 08, 2002 12:08 am

in germany, the slingshot boards are cheaper than most other brands (naish, wipika, ahd)...

i've talked to a few guys riding them. everyone has removed the additional fins and is impressed how durable the boards are.

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 08, 2002 3:17 am

way to slander a perfectly good company "arcsrule". their is usually 2 sides to every story and you i am sure only heard one of those, and this being your dealers version.

i find their boards to hold up quite nicely as well. i also remove the extra fins for most days, but i do use them in lighter winds. boards are durable, nice, tough;everything as promised to be. not to mention the cool graphics.

as far as paying 700.00 for a kiteboard,how about you go buy yourself a Switcher or a Carver? bet you dont get them for 400.00 either. what's a 2002 Olry listing for these days? checked the price of a nice litewave board? and cabrinha boards, they cheap? did you know that the KHaTT Wake Custom (TT) lists for 849.00? if you want the best, you have to pay for it. if you're willing to settle for less, then buy an inexpensive kite like an arc or something and a 200.00 or 300.00 picklefork and go kitesurf. As long as you're having fun, I'm happy, but no need to slander companies and defame them without knowing all the facts.

i think the topic here is slinsgshots new mods to their big kites. and i would be excited to hear anything about them as well.

they must be doing something right as they seem to dominate the contest scenes for the most part.

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 08, 2002 3:46 am

Back to the original point of this thread...
Thanks for sharing that info, Johnny. I think the free upgrade is a smart business practice! I hope Slingshot does indeed start a new trend of free upgrades. It seems like kiteboard technology is advancing very fast. Plus, each company guards their trade secrets prior to release of the new models. It's not hard to imagine how this could be good for developing customer loyalty and more importantly, good for the kiteboarding consumer. By the way, I paid $470 for my Slingshot Drake and it's awesome!

:cool:

Johnny TBKS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Johnny TBKS » Mon Jul 08, 2002 1:29 pm

I have been abusing SlingShot skate series boards ever since their release and have had NO problems yet. The company itself has been rather great to me and for me as well. I also think that what they are offering to do with the large kites helps to back that up.

I am assuming that noone on here has flown these new mods yet. DO IT! Check one out when ya have the chance, and SHARE the word when you do!

Pea's Out!
Johnny

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 08, 2002 5:21 pm

How does this make the kite look? The 2002 sling's that I own have a nice design on the wingtips that I like. Are they cutting this design off entirely or are they cutting through it somewhere? And how does that look afterwards?

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 08, 2002 11:47 pm

One mod is not going to turn a fuel into a X2. Anyone who has flown both can tell you this.

This is a good idea and an excellent business practice. But in this case it is overly hyped, and as such, it is a thinly veiled attempt to compete with the X2 while slingsnot gets its new designs developed.

Feel free to insult this statement as you wish...

Johnny TBKS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Johnny TBKS » Tue Jul 09, 2002 1:29 am

I'll let what I witness on the contest scene decide this for me.

Johnny

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Johnny TBKS on 2002-07-10 13:40 ]</font>

Return to “Kitesurfing”