Buggy/car rental in Brazil

Forum for kitesurfers
kiterfighter
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Buggy/car rental in Brazil

Postby kiterfighter » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:53 am

One other option is to ask for Tony (Antonio) as a buggie guide in Cumbuco. Everyone knows him so just ask. Great reputation. He can take you up to Jeri find good and cheap pousadas, (and keep you safe) at a reasonable cost. The buggies break down a lot so best to have a guide who can fix them. What he does is follows you down the coast while you kite! then shows you where to eat and stay every night! Its so fun. The buggies are a an adventure and hard on the back, but you see brazil from the water not the road. He was worth every penny.

Renting a car or 4x4 and traveling is a recipe for getting lost, possibly robbed. Some towns are very safe, others not the least. Cumbuco is very safe, but as you travel north, there is much more poverty and no jobs, so get a guide.

Jeri is pricey but fun, Paracuru was great, Prea has great waves, some tourists were robbed in Pecum when we were there. The Caiupe lagoon is TINY and crowded. Don't bother. Also don't listen to Toby, he has a vested interest in the place. The wind is on everyday, but often the waves are messy in Cumbuco. Very little flatwater unless you travel. Also youll hear how it gets windier to the north. Sometimes true. Also like anywhere, when its 9m its gusty.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:07 pm

relax amigo. You don't know shit about my interests.

Taiba or Uruau is a tiny lagoon.
Cauipe fits easily 30 kiters who will have fun.

The wave downwind from Cumbuco are nice for up to intermediate level. No pro waves. In front of Cumbuco there is chop, now waves. Who said so?

Nice waves also in Tabuba, also a small, but nice lagoon there.

That's why I am in Cumbuco, Cauipe is for me the best place in the world, also because many more people to meet, better infrastructure, and a big city close by in any case.

kiterfighter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiterfighter » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:03 pm

Haha your so right Toby who the hell knows what motivates you to BS?

Anyway Cauipe is so small and crowded you couldn't pay me to kite there again. Its always crowded, in fact Cumbuco is about 3 miles from Cauipe and the whole coast is pretty packed. Also the ocean often takes out the sand barrier and the lagoon will empty out even more. There working on this with a rock wall, but when you have hundreds of kiters wanting to occupy a small area I say why bother. Also 13 y.o. pros throw down making it hazardous for anyone who lacks expert skills.

Thats why I say travel and check out Ihla Do Gaurjiro "theflatwatersea.com" it has only 4 small hotels, and a true flatwater paradise, abeit gusty also. Check the tides before you go there as it can also empty out for 2 days at a time. Enjoy Cumbuco for its infrastucture and cheap food and drink. Toby is right though, there are no waves in front of Cumbuco, just nasty chop. Move on for better kiting with no crowds. If you can swing it make your way up to Jeri for great food and a serious party, and bring lots o' cash for that town.

But check it out and make sure you get back to us with how great Cauipe lagoon is!!!!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:54 pm

the whole coast is pretty packed
First: 7km from Cumbuco to Cauipe.
Second: Do you mean the about 30 kiters passing by daily at those 7km of beach? That is packed?
Stay with facts please.

Cauipe is full in November...go now...maybe 20 kites? Sure, for someone who can't kite, riding in the pro area it is dangerous for sure. But for the ones who can ride, that area is 1000 times safer than the beginners and intermediate area in the center section of the lagoon.

But, I hope everyone goes to Ilha do Guajiru...so I can have Cauipe for me and the locals :thumb:

And hey...maybe now I have interest in Ilha do Guajiru as well?

And saying Jeri is great? Do you want learners and intermediate to ride in 30-40 knots in the main wind season? That is more dangerous than 40 kiters on the Cauipe lagoon!

So, looking forward for more of your local info!

:bye:

kiterfighter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiterfighter » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:51 pm

:lol: Dude are you taking some heavy meds for your back? Caiupe with 30 40 kiters means guys riding in lines, pros riding 5 feet from the beach, instructors teaching begginers downwind, and thatched huts all over downwind. I was there for almost a month and did downwinders every day from Cumbuco. If you got there super early you might only have 10 guys in an area but the wind would suck, and as soon as it picked up the crowds appear. The tacks are ony about 1 and half minute before you have to turn around, STOP BUllshitting its fucking annoying. I spent 5 days in Ihla Do Guarjiro and the place is HUGE with a total of 15 people!! You can do downwinders for 3 miles too if you have a buggy. You fucking live there and have never been?As for Jeri, if you start south in Prea and do the Sunset downwinder to Jeri, it KICKS Cumbucos ass for waves. NO crowds, none. I hear its even better to the north of Jeri. It seems like I know a lot more than you and I don't live there 6 months of the year. Also it was windier in Cumbuco than Prea when I was there. but its gusty everywhere when you are on a 7! Your such a total BSer... you probably teach in Cauipe and risk the lives of your students? Its almost as bad as the spit in the gorge IMO. Stay away. Bottom line Cumbuco is fun to stay but the riding sucks. Nasty chop and crowds? I guess if thats all you know...

You must love crowds Toby, enjoy them.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:20 pm

What is your real name if you start attacking me like this? Sounds like you have invested in Ilha do Guajiru...making so much advertising for it...

Ever ridden it on low tide?

Ever been in Cumbuco not in November?

Cauipe with 40 kites is too crowded to have fun. 30 kites are no problem if you can ride, and 20 are relaxed. Good winds in the morning as well, but not 25 knots..around 16 knots. great for beginners and people who want to advance basic tricks and don't want a 7 sqm kite to ride on.

And you even don't know the real good downwinders...looks like you missed something in your stay here...

Keep attacking, knowitall! But do it with your real name! So I can check your interests in what you write! :remybussi:

kiterfighter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiterfighter » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:27 pm

Relax big guy. :nono: Do you even read posts? I advised littlekitegirl that low tide means no riding In Ihla and to check the tides before going. What the hell is this forum for if we can't post our opinions without being attacked by the moderator? Especially one who makes money off the site and lives in Cumbuco part-time? I am just a kiteboarding traveler who was trying to help out a fellow kiteboarder. You don't like my advise, cool. I never asked you too. I call BS when I hear it, always have. Why? because I am not paid in anyway unlike most shills on your site. You ought to thank me for coming on here and posting real opinions. You think Caiupe is great I don't. 30 kiters? So only 30 kiters keep the entire town of Cumbuco afloat? :rollgrin: I say Let them find out for themselves. I did 30 mile downwinders with buggie support most of the way to Jeri, so I feel safe to say I know a bit of the NE coast of Ceara. The best Waves were in Prea IMO. Paracuru was good in spots but there is no epic wave riding as you well know. No doubt I missed some great spots, but wind, and waves vary don't they? Cumbuco to Caiupe by far the worst chop just like you said! BTW I went in middle of August. Had wind every day. mazed how little you know about other places besides that overcrowded lagoon. Cumbuco is for people who don't care to unhook, mostly intermediates on twinnies. Never saw a board off :naughty:

As for my liting "interests" I have only a very depeleted pocketbook like most riders. If you can make a living out of kiteboarding then you deserve more props for that than any riding skill!

littlekitegirl
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby littlekitegirl » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:10 pm

I actually opened this topic over a year ago - and have since been to Brazil (spent 3+ weeks kiting) and returned. We also traveled to other parts of Brazil (not for kiting).

Had a fantastic trip and rented a normal car for the whole time. Got a good deal on it (equivalent to $25/day).

We were there in November so Cauipe Lagoon was too busy for us, having a car meant we could get to lots of other places so didn't spend much time there. That being said, I'm sure its fantastic on other months when its less busy! Unfortunately for us, our work schedules only allowed for a November trip. Of course a 4x4 would have been ideal, but way out of our budget and having the car still allowed for a lot of freedom we wouldn't have had otherwise.

We found some of our own favourite spots in Brazil not normally mentioned on this forum... as I'm sure most people there do! Kiting in Brazil is fantastic, and we'd love to go back - sadly, its not in our budget for anytime soon. Sticking to cheaper (yet still good) kite destinations for now!

Sorry to those who don't agree, but Ihla (flat water paradise) is only mediocre. Worth checking out (as are many spots), but not as good as the hype. I won't elaborate - but pm me for anybody who is going and wants a non-biased opinion! Jeri is fun, worth checking out - but too windy for learning. We're intermediate/advanced kiters so no problem for us... had a blast on my 4m

lkg
Last edited by littlekitegirl on Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiterfighter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiterfighter » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:06 pm

I would agree the Ihla website is way cooler than the reality! I found it Gusty, and the ocean riding was worse than Cumbuco. Nasty chop. But no crowds at least. I say skip Ceara and go to Cape Hatteras NC for real flatwater, just don't expect wind everyday.. and be ready to pay more.

BTW How can an opinion be non- biased? Its point of view you may have differnt kiting skills, needs than others. As for a place being crowded Toby doens't think Cauipe is, so even that seems to be POV....I guess.

littlekitegirl
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby littlekitegirl » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:25 pm

Fair enough, any opinion is biased. But, I don't have investments in any kite area, Brazil or otherwise - so that's what I meant. I was just a regular kiter tourist, nothing else.

Return to “Kitesurfing”