Gear: CABRINHA X-BOW 3 12M
NOBILE 666
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

GoPro fogging problem

Postby dankron » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:03 am

hey guys,

have anyone experienced fogging on the gopro cameras? today i got my new HD goPro for a test run, and after 3 minutes of being on the water the camera completely fogged from inside, to a point that the video is completely unwatchable.

Does anyone knows any tricks to it? or is it my camera that is with problems?

cheers.
dan

kitecozumel
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: all Cozumel locations
Favorite Beaches: anywhere with wind and waves
Style: professional
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot

Re: GoPro fogging problem

Postby kitecozumel » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:24 pm

Yes, we're experiencing that same problem, maybe the air tempeture differences while the kite is flying, we noticed more when the camera is position in the kite strut.
May need to ask the master himself, go www.jimstringfellow.com

grantman54
Very Frequent Poster

Postby grantman54 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:10 pm

I have heard that the little silicate balls that come in shoes will fix that. Just drop a couple in the housing. Thats at least what i heard

Erlend M B
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Sideshore.no (Wainman Hawaii, Nobile, Crazy Fly)

Postby Erlend M B » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:33 pm

You must have closed the housing in hot, moist air, trapping moist air in the housing. As the housing cools, the air becomes oversaturated with moisture, consequently fogging up the housing. You need to make sure the air inside the housing is low in humidity. One way could be to close it in the fridge, or freezer. Or, as mentioned above, put some silca gel inside the housing, rice is allso supposed to work.

dankron
Rare Poster
Gear: CABRINHA X-BOW 3 12M
NOBILE 666
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby dankron » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:04 am

Thanks everyone,

I'll try the silica gel thing and I'm guessing in my case would be even worst as I had the camera mounted on my board.

I've posted some shots on my blog

http://blog.danielkron.com

cheers
Dan

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:13 am

Haven't used the GoPro in water, but with the bike I got into the habit of making sure the camera was recording movies AND running, then putting it into the housing and riding off ... doing that may equalize the temperature ...?

Erlend M B
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Sideshore.no (Wainman Hawaii, Nobile, Crazy Fly)

Postby Erlend M B » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:20 pm

Kamikuza wrote:Haven't used the GoPro in water, but with the bike I got into the habit of making sure the camera was recording movies AND running, then putting it into the housing and riding off ... doing that may equalize the temperature ...?
Fogging will occur when the air inside gets cooler than the air was when the housing was sealed. This is very rare when riding a bike, but pretty normal when splashing the housing with water.

BTW, diving shops should have some anti fog liquid, used to prevent fogging in diving masks.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:59 am

Motorbike, that is ... I'd bet windchill cools it down nicely :D I know with the Pinlock insert on my visor that if I wash it and don't let it dry to room temp, then it'll fog between the insert and the sheild.

ktouhey
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I fly a lot.
Style: waves
Gear: Naish kites & boards, O'neill wetsuits.
Brand Affiliation: Naish, O'neill - Canada Team Rider

Postby ktouhey » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:37 pm

Erlend M B wrote:You must have closed the housing in hot, moist air, trapping moist air in the housing. As the housing cools, the air becomes oversaturated with moisture, consequently fogging up the housing. You need to make sure the air inside the housing is low in humidity. One way could be to close it in the fridge, or freezer. Or, as mentioned above, put some silca gel inside the housing, rice is allso supposed to work.
yup. you got it.
an easy fix tip from a pro surf photog for waterhousings (haven't tried it on a gopro, but no reason it should be different)...
When you drive to the beach, leave the housing open on your dashboard with the A/C on and windows closed. That'll dry the air in your car. then close seal the housing before you leave the car and you're good to go.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:45 pm

I've had the same problem with other UW housings, not the GoPro yet however. I use bandaid like silica gel packs and try to seal the unit in AC before going diving. I've also heard of guys using hair dryers set on low heat to desiccate the air in the unit before sealing. Just don't fry your electronics! The AC approach has worked well for me to date, haven't tried the hair dryer approach.

On a related, unrelated note, used FOUR GoPros including two HDs to capture a shark feeding behavior of about 50 Caribbean Gray sharks over the weekend. Even mounted one HD on the helmet of the feeder, Chang shown below. INSANE FOOTAGE, really like this camera!
Attachments
gopro shark shot.jpg
A still shot from the fifth camera, a Canon G9. The GoPros were all shooting video.

Return to “Kitesurfing”