Gear: CABRINHA X-BOW 3 12M
NOBILE 666
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: GoPro fogging problem

Postby dankron » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:35 am

hey rick,

this photo looks sick!!!! you are nuts, the only way i like sharks is away from me... hehehehe

about the silica thing how did you managed to fit the pack with the camera? I've tried a few sizes and couldn't find one that fits...

cheers,
dan

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:09 am

On the silica gel strips, I use them in Olympus and Canon housings but have yet to need one in a GoPro perhaps because of sealing it in AC most of the time. Anyway, I would get the small kind, be real careful about not interfering with the gasket seal on the housing. There may be room between the back of the camera and the housing door for the silica gel tape.

From: http://www.adorama.com/IOMSGD.html?searchinfo=IOMSGD

Working on some of the HD shark video now, should be pretty interesting. Air rings rising up to the boat through a cloud of sharks, sharks hammering into the diver and camera and a lot more. Feeder putting a gray "to sleep on the bottom," not sure how he does that? You could get real messed up on one of these feeds if you don't listen to instructions. Even if you do, there is always the odd bad day. The feeders and photographers wear partial mail suits, don't want a shark biting an unprotected area. Still, it is pretty mellow, the first videos I shot might put you to sleep. A couple of hours of sharks swimming rhythmically all over like a bunch of cats walking around a food bowl. This time, the sharks must have been a bit less mellow. Banged into me a bunch of times and I wasn't even holding fish.

A real short video from the first time a couple of months back appears

HERE Should be a lot different this time.

eldadgold
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eldadgold » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:05 pm

i put in the housing a piece of toilet paper- works fine.

dankron
Rare Poster
Gear: CABRINHA X-BOW 3 12M
NOBILE 666

Postby dankron » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:07 pm

nice tip, i'll try that!!!!

emmandkev
Medium Poster

Postby emmandkev » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:51 pm

Cut open the pack of silica and put a few pieces in the view finder - it's recessed - that will allow you to close the GoPro case and will prevent fogging - but be careful that catch is not that sturdy - an earlier poster referred to rice - it know it works in a salt shaker, but does it work in a GoPro? Would be nice if it did - it's far easier to get hold of than silica these days.

btw - a top tip that I got from GoPro when the catch on my GoPro broke - rather than waiting idly for the new catch to arrive, as a temp solution use cable ties to secure the case shut - I used 3 - 1 each side of the centre mounting point and 1 in the middle - worked a treat - no water in the case, even when diving to 40 feet.

yomotha
Frequent Poster
Style: Whatever I feel like for the day
Gear: Core, Lift

Postby yomotha » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:54 am

RickI wrote: On a related, unrelated note, used FOUR GoPros including two HDs to capture a shark feeding behavior of about 50 Caribbean Gray sharks over the weekend. Even mounted one HD on the helmet of the feeder, Chang shown below. INSANE FOOTAGE, really like this camera!
Hey, just received my HD. What video resolution/format do you recommend for diving? The default 960p or one of the others? I'll be using 960p for kiting, but am not sure which would give the best view for the diving.

Thanks

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:30 pm

I don't have a good answer, yet. Only have the one shark dive in with the HDs. After a lot of thought and looking at the few HD videos online, I decided to use it in the default, 960p setting. I can fit in only one such dive per trip, get it right or redo it next time. I was shooting in exceptionally good conditions, 80 ft. plus visibility and fairly good sun in blue water. You can see from the video how it came out below, I thought pretty well. There is some light distortion underwater due to the dome port issues. I saw a video online from a blue hole in Greece that looked particularly clear shot at the lowest resolution. I will continue to experiment and will post most underwater updates HERE

Happy shooting!
yomotha wrote:
RickI wrote: On a related, unrelated note, used FOUR GoPros including two HDs to capture a shark feeding behavior of about 50 Caribbean Gray sharks over the weekend. Even mounted one HD on the helmet of the feeder, Chang shown below. INSANE FOOTAGE, really like this camera!
Hey, just received my HD. What video resolution/format do you recommend for diving? The default 960p or one of the others? I'll be using 960p for kiting, but am not sure which would give the best view for the diving.

Thanks

stringy
Medium Poster
Local Beach: seattle, wa
Style: freeriding

Postby stringy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:40 pm

I've experienced fogging on the non HD GoPro, but the HD seems to handle this alot better. Not a problem for me yet kiting in temps less than 50 degrees. Here in Seattle, we typically kite year round with temps now in the 40 degree range and water probably in the mid 40 degree range. I've dropped the kite and had the GoPro spend some time sitting in the water, but it seems to take the punishment. Here's some footage from yesterday with the GoPro.

Brad
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sunset, Dolphin, Kite Beach, Doodles, Big Bay, Derde Steen, Hakgat, Tekweni, Sodwana, Ponta Da Ouro, Witsands
Favorite Beaches: As above.
Style: Twini, Directional, Surf, Air
Gear: Cabrinha everything.

Postby Brad » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:23 pm

Will try this AC route as its a pain to miss some great footage as we all know.
Thanks for the advice and just one question...what REALLY works every time? :?:

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zerogee_ca » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:16 am

According to GoPro you get...
"3 sets of anti-fog inserts. Each set lasts 4-5 uses and can be dried in an oven (3 minutes) and used again."

Do you need to activated them before the first use? Are people re-activating them in the oven to reuse them? Are you not getting the 4-5 uses out of them? How are people storing them after they are activated so they last a little longer?

Return to “Kitesurfing”