Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

plexiglass boards

Postby nomorebikinis » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:47 pm

any idea if these ever are going into production? just curious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf8e0hTMwIg

Richie RIch
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Grand Cayman - I kite out the back of my beach house :)
Style: I kind of make it up as I go along!
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: So-Chlo - Island Skate and Surf Wear

Re: plexiglass boards

Postby Richie RIch » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:14 am

It is a nice idea.

However, there are material properties that have to be considered over form - I could be wrong, but it looks like there is a stress concentration resulting from the fin hole, screw pressure and lateral fin forces that have caused a significant stress crack at 2:22. Combined with the standard inherent material properties, this may result in ultimate premature board failure.

Fatigue and incorrect material selection are common causes of product failure.

Like I said, I could be wrong, so don't jump me! Just my 2 cents!

Richie

vindsportknut
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby vindsportknut » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:41 pm

Very nice idea and the material only has waterpearls, no damage seen. But how to find such a board if you miss it in a huge jump or in a big wave? Floating around it also is a potensial danger to other kiters. Unless you paint i orange or somthing and then the point is gone... but a stylish idea!

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gbleck » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:58 pm

I think price would be the primary barier to this becoming a production board.

nomorebikinis
Frequent Poster

Postby nomorebikinis » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:27 pm

So this board will probably develop –only- as a toy for the pro riders.
I ve been “day dreaming” hard: why it is that I like this design. I do snowboarding, but the idea of a plexiglas snowboard does not appeal to me. Also skim or skateboarding can only be fun with a good old wooden board or foamie.
Believe it or not, I think it is of the “moses effect”. Do not laugh :-? . Just the idea that with this board it is like you are “walking on water” or the effect when making a spray like a wall of water you can look through. Just ordinary action photo’s will look different too, it becomes closer like actually flying in the air (without special effects). Also zero resistance, if the plexiglas becomes thinner, the speed.

ZigZag
Medium Poster

Postby ZigZag » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:26 pm

There is another problem with a Plexiglas board: It sinks in salt water.

The density of Plexiglas is about 1.19, while the density of sea water is about 1.03

My calculations show that you need about 500 grams of buoyancy to keep the board afloat. Maybe you can provide that with thick low density foam pads and straps.

Plexiglas has a low modulus of elasticity compared to fiberglass and carbon fibre. So a Plexiglas board will bend a lot more than a standard board, and will not feel as crisp when riding.

vindsportknut
Medium Poster

Postby vindsportknut » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:17 pm

If you look carefully on the film you'll see that it's layered and hollow with a stiffening central layer for mounting of pads. It should be possible to build such a board if you have the right glue and so on. Easier than other materials, I believe.

sflinux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Joe Blair, L41, Meyerhoffer, Rusty, Tom Wegener, & Cloud IX

Postby sflinux » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:59 pm

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:34 pm

Just to add my experience to this, Plexiglas or Lexan is never glued together, it is welded together using Methyl Chloride. This is typically not a very good sealant but if you were able to apply it so there were no holes I think it would be possible to to make a hollow board, you would definitely need a inner skeleton though and the rocker/concave would not be easy, I believe heat would be required for this (maybe a large oven and a form). You may also need some other sort of sealant.
While anything is possible, I am told by the guys in the our shop that Lexan will de-laminate withing 2 years and Plexiglas will de-laminate in 4, faster if exposed to UV and temperature variances. If this is to be filled with air, it would probably need a vent while not in use..... sounds like a fun project but a lot of work at the same time... all for a see through board... I once had a see through watch... made it hard to tell the time.....

Sincerely

Pete

vindsportknut wrote:If you look carefully on the film you'll see that it's layered and hollow with a stiffening central layer for mounting of pads. It should be possible to build such a board if you have the right glue and so on. Easier than other materials, I believe.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:33 pm

The board is mainly made from one piece of plastic.
As I remember from last summer, material cost would be hundreds of dollars for the plastic,
but the kicker is it cost $10,000 + to mold, form, polish, etc.
It looks neat, but doesn't seem too practical.
All the same, it would be fun to try....

Return to “Gear Builders”