Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Two very different types of kiters.

Postby Toby » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:24 pm

you could have drowned as well, and then the guys would be going to jail for refusing to help.
So what they did is not funny, it is a serious matter.

And you can drown very quickly...I lost power after a 1 minute swim in colder water, and my last chance was to get back into the kite laying on the front tube...lucky there was a rescue boat around...

tungsten222
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby tungsten222 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:34 pm

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Sed in urna et enim porttitor ullamcorper ac non ipsum. Proin eleifend orci quis ligula convallis et viverra metus porta. Fusce commodo eros ut sapien euismod venenatis. Proin suscipit auctor laoreet. Phasellus scelerisque viverra nisi eu malesuada. Etiam malesuada tellus non neque fermentum at molestie mi condimentum. Vestibulum gravida enim sit amet nisi mattis pulvinar. Suspendisse hendrerit ipsum id neque sodales ut tincidunt felis dignissim. Suspendisse potenti. Phasellus venenatis pharetra consectetur. Curabitur tempus lacinia dui. Nunc semper arcu id leo lacinia porta. Proin commodo adipiscing egestas. Suspendisse adipiscing enim turpis, sed.
Last edited by tungsten222 on Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:16 pm

Well done Fred in being able to get yourself back in unassisted, and you even managed it with the handcap of deciding to rescue the kite too.

In winter, very cold water can take away your ability to rescue yourself very quickly. Its a whole different ballgame then, but not so bad if you have a big board you could paddle in on.

http://vimeo.com/8386771

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:53 pm

Fred,

Did you sense that because you were on a ram air kite rather than an inflatable, that this fact played a role in the 2 kiter's refusal to help you?

For instance:

(1) Did prejudice between "pumpers" and "twin-skins" play a role?
(2) Fear of the filamentous bridle lines, by the potential rescuers?
(3) Worry by the rescuers, of tearing up your kite and the liability for damage, while trying to tow it in.

Those of us who know you through your participation on this forum, know that you are a stand-up, non-confrontational, forgiving kind of guy, but did your potential rescuers know these things about you? It would be interesting to know what they were thinking at the time. If you get to talk to them, let us know what they have to say about the incident.

eree
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby eree » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:03 pm

when i go kiting i don't expect to see the ER-lawyer with the liability form to sign at the beach. until now it is understandable for me that each kiter is morally obliged to look after any other person in the water in the vicinity.

golden rule is good to everyone to keep, but there are the exceptions unfortunately. these exceptions are called accidents. and no person alive is safe from them, experienced or not. accidents don't depend on sports we go for, gear we ride, style we ride or our personal characters.

i may have written some pretty unpleasant posts on forum here and there about somebody's riding style and gear. but it is neither personal and nor serious, that's just hobby, remember? but as the former seaman for 15 years myself i'll never let a person without help in the water 'cause i know what nature can do to a person in distress in a very short time.

so lets be alert and attentive to the fellow kiters and other persons on the water wherever you kite!

winds

flyingweasel
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flyingweasel » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:52 pm

Last edited by flyingweasel on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

flyingweasel
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flyingweasel » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:57 pm

Last edited by flyingweasel on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

flyingweasel
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flyingweasel » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:01 pm

Last edited by flyingweasel on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Inflatables

Re: Two very different types of KITES

Postby Pump me up » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:53 pm

FredBGG wrote:The other day I had a front line fail.
Wind was slightly off shore...
I really needed a tow to the beach.
I had the kite safely on the 5th line folded in half (flysurfer Foil)
I waved down two kiters.... both expert judging by their riding.
Both refused to help.
One even yelled if you can't relaunch it's your problem.
Anyway after a difficult ordeal in the surf and current I got back to the beach.
I had to rest a bit but my board was still out there.
The problem here isn't with the other kiters, it's with Fred's choice of kite. If Fred had an inflatable, he would have been able to "self-rescue" by grabbing the tips and "sailing" to shore. The other kiters refusing to help is understandable: Fred made the choice to choose less safe equipment (ram airs - for self rescue) - it's his problem and he shouldn't impose on others to make up for the deficiencies in his equipment. Also, towing a Flysurfer to shore is like towing a sleeping bag full of water - horrible.

Ignore the lies. Ignore the exaggerations. Ram airs are inferior compared to inflatables in wind dropouts and gear failures.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:50 pm

flyingweasel wrote:
Toby wrote:you could have drowned as well, and then the guys would be going to jail for refusing to help.
So what they did is not funny, it is a serious matter.
You managed to work this out from Freds story????

Are you on drugs?
anything can happen. Read the whole forum and you will find stories like that. And due to personal experience I know how quick things can go wrong.

tungsten222: you would have done nothing different than me. Don't try to be smarter afterwards.

Return to “Kitesurfing”