Cabrinha: '09 16m XBOW / GK: '08 12m & 9m Trix / Eclipse: '08 14m Thruster
|
2009 Nobile XTR 143x48, T5 137x42 / 2007 Litewave 179
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dynabar 2010 Models

Postby FL Kiteboarder » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:33 pm

robertovillate wrote:V5 is still in testing now and may not be out for a while. The differences are subtle, mostly to streamline some manufacturing and keep cost down
No problem, as I'm in no hurry.
So, probably 2nd or 3rd quarter release for the V5, if you were to guess?

Marc
Naish 13.5m Cult / GK Trix 9m,12m / Eclipse Thruster 14m; Nano 4m, 6m, 7m, 11m
Kiteboarding Videos: Feat. Dynabar, Naish, Cabrinha, GK, Eclipse, Turbolauncher & More

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:14 pm

Deferred Success wrote:
robertovillate wrote:V5 is still in testing now and may not be out for a while. The differences are subtle, mostly to streamline some manufacturing and keep cost down
No problem, as I'm in no hurry.
So, probably 2nd or 3rd quarter release for the V5, if you were to guess?

Marc
Kiteboarding Videos: Feat. Dynabar, Naish, Cabrinha, GK, Eclipse, Turbolauncher & More
I honestly do not know when they will be ready. But I will probably have some of those too when they are available. I am testing one now though.

tux
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lignano
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara CE BR
Style: wave
Gear: Naish Helix Limited '09 9 North rebel '09 9; vegas '08 9 , rhino '07 14
John Amundson Pro model '08 Hydro '08

Postby tux » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:01 pm

Deferred Success wrote:-
I currently have a Dynabar V3, but I'm thinking about getting the PRORACE model.

I think that the PRORACE model with its 6mm dyneema rope to provide "enough stability of the hook in any position"
and its "less quick" sliding (as compared to the PROWAVE) are desirable attributes.

What's the ETA on the latest Dynabar V5 (below) ?

Marc
[/b][/url]
Hi, I'm an happy owner of the Prowave Dynabar, I love the quick sliding of it and I hope it will get quicker in the future, in particular the plastic roll behind the bar that stop the hook, instate of rolling in the bar just slide getting consumed and slowing the slide of the hook.
This is the only problem I've had into an intense use of it in 30consecutively days in about 25/30knots 4/5 hour per day.
Attachments
dynabar.jpg
dynabar.jpg (61.47 KiB) Viewed 1719 times

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:50 pm

I would agree with Tux's statement on the plastic roller. Mine doesn't roll either. The hook slide across it instead of using it as a roller. It still works, but probably not as smooth as it would be with a different material for the roller. I understand the problem. A metal roller would work best, but it would probably drive up the cost. Plastic is cheaper, but softer. Not sure of a solution. Not sure if it needs a "solution". The flattened plastic roller, acting as a slide surface, prevents metal-on-metal sliding which would become a point for corrosion to set in. But, the plastic will probably break sooner than planned because it is not working as a roller bearing.

I have both the ProWave and the Freeride. I've used the ProWave exclusively for the past 5 months. I just tried the Freeride version yesterday. I was surprised at how little the Freeride moves compared to the ProWave. I would say that the Freeride takes about 2-3 times more pull before it slides off og center. The differences in the notches makes a big difference. Interesting.

Like them both.

tux
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lignano
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara CE BR
Style: wave
Gear: Naish Helix Limited '09 9 North rebel '09 9; vegas '08 9 , rhino '07 14
John Amundson Pro model '08 Hydro '08

Postby tux » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:38 pm

...I'm wondering how it would work with a ceramic roller...

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:40 pm

tux wrote:...I'm wondering how it would work with a ceramic roller...
Something with high hardness rating, but low abrasion...maybe titanium?

Any engineers or material science guys out there...ideas for a good source for this type of material?

From my experience - the Prorace version with the rope "bar" slows the hook down as intended, where as the metal bar is pretty fast motion, especially on the more continuous curve of the Prowave.

Geez, how much faster can they make it?! :D
Sure beats a fixed hook though :wink:

Also, just curious if you lads with roller issues are using the older pin or the newer pin? The old one had threads running full length which added rolling resistance, the new is only threaded at the end with a smooth shaft which allows the roller to move better.

At one time I played with some small pulleys at the base of the hook, but they can get fouled and also break down faster, and the the really good high load variety are expensive. In general think it's better to keep it simple and easy to maintain/repair.

grantman54
Very Frequent Poster

Postby grantman54 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:04 am

Something with high hardness rating, but low abrasion...maybe titanium?

Any engineers or material science guys out there...ideas for a good source for this type of material?
Delrin. It is a self lubricating plastic that has low abrasion. Should be perfect for this application. I used it as chain tensioners and ran 25 and 35 chain across at 25fps for 100hrs. It only showed about 1-2mm of wear.

JAYFACTORY
Medium Poster

Postby JAYFACTORY » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:14 am

We decided not to use harder roller because the torsion forces on the hook don't allow the roller to roll properly and it slides instead: an harder material would damage the steel rod the hook slides on.
Customers who are using hook with fully threaded pin should replace it with the new pin to improve rolling and limit the possibility of pin unscrew (always check the pin before lifting your kite).

We are waiting the new roller made in PA-GV (polyamide glassfiber-reinforced) and it will last longer and roll better. On the V5 version we will also add an additional PA washer to avoid any metal-to-metal contact. V5 version is a restyling of V4 version plus a new pad, the functionality is almost the same: it will take few more months to fully test it and be sure it is as strong as V4 version.

After more then one year of marketing and customer’s satisfaction feedback, our commitment about DYNABAR’s future is: DYNABAR started a new concept in kitesurfing and sliding hook will be used by us and surely by all the major brands on the market (we “heard” some are already working on it!). Don’t wait more, don’t ride static, ride the future, ride DYNABAR :thumb:

FL Kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Jetty, Ft. Pierce, FL USA
Favorite Beaches: South Jetty, Ft. Pierce, FL USA
Anne's Beach, Islamorada, FL USA
Style: Freeriding
Gear: |
Cabrinha: '09 16m XBOW / GK: '08 12m & 9m Trix / Eclipse: '08 14m Thruster
|
2009 Nobile XTR 143x48, T5 137x42 / 2007 Litewave 179

Postby FL Kiteboarder » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:31 am

-
For those who use the Dynabar PRORACE model, you can extend the life of the rope

and reduce friction by using SailKote.

I am using it to lube my pump, as it is a dry lube and does not attract sand.

Check this forum post and response from the makers of SailKote, McLube.
As an added value tip for KITEBOARDERS, try the following:
use Sailkote to coat the control lines on your kite as they will help to keep them slick,
minimizing abrasion and possible cutting or wearing through, and will minimize water absorption
and keep your control lines lighter and clean from sand and dirt, rather than heavy and soggy.

Marc

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:48 am

robertovillate wrote:...Also, just curious if you lads with roller issues are using the older pin or the newer pin? The old one had threads running full length which added rolling resistance, the new is only threaded at the end with a smooth shaft which allows the roller to move better.
As far as I know, I'm using the newer one. I have a Freeride and a ProWave that were shipped from Italy in late July or August. I thought that, at the time, they said it was the new version with the newer pin. How do I check?

Return to “Kitesurfing”