Forum for kitesurfers
marshall10488
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Flyboards
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Two very different types of kiters.

Postby marshall10488 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:47 pm

ryuu wrote:As an American I agree 100% with you BUT this is an international board so laws and culture differ vastly.

Also as an American I know that if you were to help and if ANYTHING were to go bad you are now open to a lawsuit.
http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=6498405&page=1
yes but as an American you can be sued for anything. comeon delivery companies have multi-million
dollar paper cut insurance. Off the subject i know but if i was the rescuer i would be 'sending the boys round' i think. that is bang out of order.

RichardM
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Northern Orange County
All Los Angeles County
All Ventura County
Some Santa Barbara County
Brand Affiliation: Malibu Kitesurfing
http://www.MalibuKitesurfing.NET
The BEST way to learn kitesurfing !

Postby RichardM » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:37 pm

ryuu wrote:As an American I agree 100% with you BUT this is an international board so laws and culture differ vastly.

Also as an American I know that if you were to help and if ANYTHING were to go bad you are now open to a lawsuit.
Not any more (or at least much less).

The case cited by the article actually spawned a bill in CA which was passed last year which indemnifies (takes away liability) good samaritans for any harm they do accidently while giving aid in an emergency.

Of course, this doesn't mean you can't be sued, just that it would be much less likely and that you'd probably win relatively easily.

Richard M.
Malibu Kitesurfing - since 2002
(310) - 430 - KITE (5483)
kfRichard@MalibuKitesurfing.NET

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby robertovillate » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:29 pm

ryuu,

While I do not think it's your intention to discourage coming to someone's aid, let's not encourage that attitude (i.e. don't help because he's a dumb ass, flys brand x, should take care of himself, etc.) to those who have questions about it.

Under any circumstances we should not let fear of litigation prevent us from doing the right thing. I tend to think that most people, even some of the antagonists on this thread, know what it means to do the right thing - hopefully from the age of 4 years old and on. Of course, it's a personal choice to help others, and sometimes it does keep people from harm.

Apparently some individuals are so blinded by the idea that, in their right to have a differing viewpoint and personal attitude, ridiculing others with good intentions supports their position. Pretty sad to see that. But I reckon "it takes all types"....blah blah. I think this sort represents less than 10% of kiteboarders...room for improvement perhaps

Nothing wrong with building good karma and helping others. It is unlikely you will be sued unless you do something incredibly stupid or negligent.

Here's a short bit that touches on the topic.
http://www.atlanticmaritimeacademy.com/goodsam.html

While kitesurfers may not be classified as vessels...who cares. If you were floating around on the sea with a piece of wood and someone else could be saved by paddling over to them with it that is still the same principle... I would hope anyway.

chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East

Postby chemosavi » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:41 am

Reminds me of the time I fell asleep in the back of my buds pickup on the interstate during rush hour after a heavy duty happy hour and inadvertently rolled off the back end into the oncoming traffic. Like a herd a wild buffalo did they descend upon me.

Soccer moms and wanna-be-home now commuters ignored me like I was a brown stain on the side of the toilet bowl.

Many was the time I cursed their failure to offer the kind hand of help in my subsequent two year hospital rehabilitation. Lesson learned...My karma's like a horney-toad on a hot mexican highway in the middle of a gone-bad drug run.
Last edited by chemosavi on Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:02 am

flyingweasel wrote:
Kamikuza wrote:"... hire a life gaurd" ?

So if you're playing tennis with our two nice friends there and you twist your ankle, you can expect them to say "Should've brought crutches see ya I'm off home" :o
LOL, is this the first tennis analogy on the forum???

You are definately in, nay lead, the stupid category.

Game, set and match...Weasel!!!

anyone for strawbs and cream?

:rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin:
Well that shows your level of maturity - or lack of it.
Maybe it's stupid to want to help people (especially if they're assholes like you), but I'd at least make an offer to someone in trouble - even if it was only to go ashore and get proper help.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:23 am

chemosavi wrote:...
...My karma's like a horney-toad on a hot mexican highway in the middle of a gone-bad drug run.
Nice one!!! :lol:

chemosavi, man that sounds like a rough night...maybe lay off the bottle for a while! :thumb:

flyingweasel
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flyingweasel » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:09 am

Last edited by flyingweasel on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:34 am

FredBGG wrote:The other day I had a front line fail.

With out going into too much detail.....
Wind was slightly off shore...
Pretty strong current...
With all due respect, did you check your lines before heading out?

One even yelled if you can't relaunch it's your problem.
Did they know one of your flying lines was broken?

At that point another kitesurfer had just arrived... he threw on his wetsuit and asked me to
spot for my surfboard while he swam out through the surf and current to get it.
I wouldn't have done that, unless it was real close maybe, current and offshore wind and all...
I think most people would, at the very least, have offered to go get help. I mean how hard and inconvenient is that?

Glad you were able to self rescue :thumb:

I'm amazed you got the foil back through the heavy surf, seaweed, current and off shore wind. You saved some marine life I'm sure :)

It's always better you can save your own ass in this sport. But it's also nice to know that you can count on others should things really get nasty. Most times that would be the case. I don't know what went wrong here.

ryuu
Medium Poster
Local Beach: local mud holes called lakes
Gear: lf

Postby ryuu » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:48 am

RichardM wrote:

Not any more (or at least much less).

The case cited by the article actually spawned a bill in CA which was passed last year which indemnifies (takes away liability) good samaritans for any harm they do accidently while giving aid in an emergency.

Of course, this doesn't mean you can't be sued, just that it would be much less likely and that you'd probably win relatively easily.

Richard M.
Malibu Kitesurfing - since 2002
(310) - 430 - KITE (5483)
kfRichard@MalibuKitesurfing.NET
That's great, thanks for the info. Hopefully it catchs on.

ryuu
Medium Poster
Local Beach: local mud holes called lakes
Gear: lf

Postby ryuu » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:31 pm

robertovillate ...

Your right, I just did a poor job of trying to point out that around the world the laws are different and where this happened there is no law that you must help and that someone is more likely to end up in legal trouble by helping than not. I'm always willing to help any time I can regardless.

Return to “Kitesurfing”