Forum for kitesurfers
dacronkid
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2010 cabrinha pro bar upgrade question

Postby dacronkid » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:23 am

The pro bar upgrade kit comes with two new center lines to replace the single centerline and existing swivel that are on the standard 2010 IDS system. My question is do you really need to use the two new center lines in the kit? Why not just connect the existing center line and swivel to the new IDS activation pull strap. I dont see why this would not work and would save you money by not having to buy the kit with new center lines you dont need.

You would just need to buy a stainless ring and fasten some kind of pull handle to it and purchase a swivel chicken loop. With two swivels on each end of the centerline { 1 at the kite end and the other at the chicken loop} there should be nothing to twist up or manually unwind after doing multiple rotations in the same direction. This setup should be more trouble free than having two center lines i would think.

Am i missing something here on why this would not be possibly a better option for some of us that do not want to pay $70 dollars for the upgrade?

gazxtreme
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Walney Island, Lake District, UK
Favorite Beaches: Sotovento Fuerte.
Sanbar at Hurghada Egypt.
Style: Old school, progressing to wake style
Gear: Starkites Sbow 08.
Starkites Sprint 134.
Brand Affiliation: I use Starkites in my school and rode for Starkites in 2008 BKSA grand prix.

Re: 2010 cabrinha pro bar upgrade question

Postby gazxtreme » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:18 pm

I cannot answer your question but have another one for any pro Cabrnha peeps.
Why every year do some manufacturers market a bar/kite set up then offer costly up-grades for something that should not need up-grading in the first place? the guilty ones are those who are the most expensive to start with, problem is people keep loyalty buying then buying the up-grades when they should really be looking for a manufacturer that provides equipment that is fit for purpose to start with. Sorry it's not helped you but I can't believe people still buy into this.

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:14 am

Yep some kites are not cheap !
You are not forced to buy them though.
Sounds like you have a bone to pick with Cabrinha
The upgrade kit was developed because of some complaints.
So a solution has been offered.
You don't have to take it.
The kites work just as well "out of the box" and are mostly used like this.
You are mistaking the possibilty of choice with a defect that needs replacing.
The kites are great as they are and I enjoy my Xbows without modification and my Nomads in larger size with.
Just a point of view from a different angle.
Nico

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby IWB2 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:37 pm

gazextreme,
The IDS Pro bar upgrade is not necessary for the majority of riders out there as the STOCK IDS system offers exceptional performance and maximum safety and instant depower. The IDS Pro System is an inexpensive upgrade which allows a small segment or riders (some advanced riders) a slightly different option. It is cool that an alternative option is made available to keep all riders using the 2010 Cabrinha kites happy.

kitesafeflorida
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Indian Rocks Beach, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Any beach without garbage on it!!!!
Style: Waves and flatwater
Gear: Cabrinha IDS kites and boards. Nobile boards as well.
Brand Affiliation: Watersports West and Cabrinha

Postby kitesafeflorida » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:00 am

The upgrade kit, should really be called an option kit. Giving the rider another option on the way the bar is set up. Any kite out there that has a swivel above the bar usually has to deal with the centerlines getting all twisted up as you loop the kite. The 2008 Switchblades had the idea of putting the swivel just above the chicken loop in order for the rider to unspin the centerlines in the event they get twisted. The IDS system as mentioned works fine, but like many other brands out there, one has to deal with the dreaded swivel that likely isn't really going to work. Hence an Upgrade or option to quickly convert the bar to solve this problem. I don't however recommend this option to beginners.

Just curious, do you bitch at the car company that offers power windows when your manual windows work just fine??? Or how about air bags, or ABS? Do you pay extra $$$ for these features?

If you really want something to hate at, do yourself a favor and get the movie Food, Inc. That will really piss you off.

Return to “Kitesurfing”