Forum for travel reports and travel questions
artemis_clyde_frog
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help me find this place

Postby artemis_clyde_frog » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:17 pm

Looking for somewhere to live/kite for Oct/Nov and possibly December anywhere in the western hemisphere, the only requirement is reliable internet and not to expensive. I telecommute for my job so good internet is all I need and a similar time zone to LA, so I can't live outside of the western hemisphere.

Right now I'm thinking La Serena Chile to kite at Puclaro since I will be in Chile in July/August to ski, or possibly Puerto Rico. Mexico would be awesome then I can drive there and not have to rent a car. Not thinking Brazil because I can speak spanish and it makes life much easier being able to speak the language.

It's cold and the skiing in colorado is weak this season :( , so I have the travel and kiting bug right now. Thanks for any tips.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Help me find this place

Postby Toby » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:55 pm

I went to Brazil with little Spanish as well...it works, and you will be able to pick up Portuguese quickly.

And in this time it is just awesome. The internet is not the fastest, but it will be ok...does the job for me too.

artemis_clyde_frog
Rare Poster

Postby artemis_clyde_frog » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:47 am

I've been to Brazil (not to kite) and got by just fine with engligh/spanish, but if I'm living there for a few months I'd like to be able to speak the language. I will be back to Brazil to kite for vacation some time.

Any goods in mexico in those months? I'm liking the idea of driving down.

Saami
Frequent Poster

Postby Saami » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:49 pm

Are you absolutely wedded to the idea that it has to be "a similar time zone to LA"? Is it inconceivable to you to start working at X:XXpm local time instead of at 8:00am local time? As long as you can communicate with your LA clients during their office hours, does it truly matter what the local time is for you?

The reason why I ask is that I live in Asia myself, while most of my clients are in the United States. This suits me just fine, because it leaves the daylight hours free for kitesurfing or whatever I feel like doing that day. As long as I can talk to them in the evenings (my time), my clients don't seem to care. Why should they care, as long as you are doing a good job and are available when they want to speak to you?

Just an idea. If you are willing to work during "non-conventional" hours, there is a whole world out there for you... And some of it has awesome kitesurfing conditions :-)

artemis_clyde_frog
Rare Poster

Postby artemis_clyde_frog » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:18 am

I've thought about, and I don't think I can make it work outside of the western hemisphere. I'd be miserable working crazy hours, would have a mad girlfriend, and don't think I can pull it off with my boss. He's very liberal with where I'm living, but Europe of Asia would be pushing it.

Still looking at Chile, Mexico and Puerto Rico. Any Mexico advice for those months would be appreciated.

Kitefritz
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Santa Marianita - Ecuador
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana , Gorge
Style: Freeride
Gear: North

Postby Kitefritz » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:09 am

maybe Ecuador is the perfekt Spot for you.
Timezone - Spanish - Internet - Wind - Climat -cheap
check : www.kitecasa.com

nils
Rare Poster

Postby nils » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:32 pm

Hey,
You should consider Mancora in northern Peru. Samana Chakra would be the place to be (check out on facebook)! There is a video you should watch. Real Kiteboarding is also offering tours there in april, they got a video on as well. You will have wind and waves but also flatwater if that is preferred and a lot of spots to check out, lots of downwind potential as well. Warm water! Let me know, if you are interested and i can provide you with more info!

ride on

artemis_clyde_frog
Rare Poster

Postby artemis_clyde_frog » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:12 pm

Kitefritz wrote:maybe Ecuador is the perfekt Spot for you.
Timezone - Spanish - Internet - Wind - Climat -cheap
check : www.kitecasa.com
I've been looking at Manta, I'll have to get to Ecuador some time. I think I'll end up in Progresso, Mexico for the fall. Thanks for all the tips!

Return to “Travel”