Peter Lynn C-Quad?

Forum for kitesurfers
grantman54
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Peter Lynn C-Quad?

Postby grantman54 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:28 pm

This thing looks ancient. Anyways, my question is are they any fun to use on the sand? (someone is selling one locally for 20$; he thinks its a 3m)
Like a trainer kite?
Landboarding?
Dangerous?
Any thoughts at all about them would be nice.

MonkeyAir
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Peter Lynn C-Quad?

Postby MonkeyAir » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:38 pm

Hi Grantman.
The C Quad is the ultimate power per size kite. The first out on the water was always a C Quad due to the amazing projected area, lightness and speed. The problem is it is not a water re-launchable though they did sell some floats for it at one point. Expect a very, very fast kite that requires handles to fly properly so you can use the brakes to eliminate overfly. Masters of C Quads can absolutely rip on the things. If you look back in old Style (kiteboarding mags) etc. from the beginning of the sport, you will see shots of guys out in basically nada wind boosting and ripping it up at a contest in Egypt. You will have fun just messing with it at 20 bucks and hopefully it is coming with the handles and lines with a back strap. PL had a team rider that made it look easy and took any light wind contest apart on the water with them way back when. Have Fun.
Traig.
MonkeyAir.com
Malibu's original kitesurfing equipment and lesson source

ced1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cannon Rocks
Favorite Beaches: Cannon Rocks, Flag Beach, Anse la Raie, Witsands, Dolphin beach
Style: Big air, wave riding
Gear: Airush, Underwave

Postby ced1 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:43 pm

You might have to check the Bridal... If not set properly it can be a pain. But I'm sure some one here knows all about it... That kite pulls man!

Ced

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zerogee_ca » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:46 am

Old skool with the C-Quad... Handles and backstrap. :thumb:

If I recall... Flat, thin, low aspect kite. A 3m would be a 3m projected (and very close to it's flat surface area). Very fast too, the 3m must be like a stunt kite fast. Grunty, goes to the edge of the window and pulls hard upwind. Good light wind kite. Size for size a powerful, most efficient kite. Need to mind the brakes well though. A buddy used them on the water on a "handle bar" (so he could mind the brakes too) for a few years but he was a master kite pilot. Packing was cool with the single piece carbon rod LE. There was a coiling trick to pack it.

MonkeyAir
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MonkeyAir » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:25 am

Great clip of film.
Seems like yesterday.
De-power was all in the legs for so long, the sheer forces got a lot of our knees if getting over 300 days a year consistently and always jumping. The fellow in the vid did a nice little summation of PL kites in the generations he used. Think he said pure power for the C Quad with stability only on handles with speed. The water foil was, good relaunch, great speed and power with no depower. The kites sure have gotten easier to use over the years from all brands.
Thanks for the great clip.
Traig

grantman54
Very Frequent Poster

Postby grantman54 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:49 am

the guy doesnt have any handles for it. So i have no need for it.

If anyone wants it i'll pick it up for you and ship it to you for 35$ he said it has only been used twice

twannie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mui ne ,Vietnam. Cadzand bad,Netherlands
Style: freeride
Gear: Ozone,Dakine,Axis
Brand Affiliation: Ozone,Axis,Dakine

Postby twannie » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:51 am

ode to Kane Hartill ,master of the c quad those days ! :)

he inspired me !

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:44 pm

I'd sure like to try the old 10.5 or 12.5 C-quad for the sake of history (and fun). Let me know if you find one of those "almost free" deals.

I really liked the old videos of Kane on the 8.5 with handles and backstrap, especially the one where he was ripping and getting nice jumps in Essaouira when the kitesurfing contest was cancelled to to insufficient wind. He was the only one out and made it look great.

John
grantman54 wrote:the guy doesnt have any handles for it. So i have no need for it.

If anyone wants it i'll pick it up for you and ship it to you for 35$ he said it has only been used twice

gonewiththewind
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gonewiththewind » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:45 pm

Is anybody out there starting the kiteboarding museum yet? Some day, it might be nice to look back and see where it all started and various kites along the way. Kiting with handles. Skis. Etc. Somebody should at least start gathering the specimens.

maddy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby maddy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:22 pm

:!:

be careful .. exercise in very low winds before giving confidence to the beast

I have seen 2 broken shoulders (just for fun)

and it was a 2.2 tiny one

Return to “Kitesurfing”