Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sroka testing new shapes

Postby nico34 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:27 pm

:D :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Pouch

alex a
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Beaches on Maui like Kanaha, Hookipa, Lanes, etc.
Favorite Beaches: Hookipa
Kanaha
La Ventana
Most beaches in Florida
Style: all kinds
Gear: Aguera Boards
Cabrinha Kites
Brand Affiliation: Aguera
Cabrinha

Re: Sroka testing new shapes

Postby alex a » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:17 pm

Yes, Bruno is riding my shapes now. Paolo Rista is now working for another company other than Cabrinha which Bruno kites for. I am making shapes for Cabrinha as well as myself for production. The relationship between my long time friend Paolo, Bruno, and myself is all friendly as we were all riding together at Kanaha last week
Bruno will be in the next Big Courserace in Puerto Vallarta beginning in early March with Sean Farley. Sean told me that it is a huge Sailing Regatta with many classes of boats!
You might have seen my boards at La Ventana last month in the Kite courseracing with Damien Leroy 1st, Shawn Richman 3rd, Adam Koch 4th, and Kent Marenkovic 6th or 7th.

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Sroka testing new Aguera shapes

Postby kitezilla » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:51 pm

pdkite wrote:
kitezilla wrote:Does the second rear line go all the way up to the kite, and then, around a pulley? Or just part-way up the to the kite, where it could pass around a pulley? If so, then, the set-up would consist of a "block and tackle", with a 4:1 advantage (correct me if I am wrong), and this would do two things:

(1) decrease the bar pressure, by a factor of 4
(2) increase the length of the "throw" needed to depower the kite

Also, you could probably make a case for

(1) allowing finer control of the depower mechanism
(2) allowing finer control of the turning mechanism
(3) increasing the drag, due to line resistance

If any of my assumptions are true, does anyone know why a kite racer would want to do any of the above to his kite and bar set-up?
it would increase bar pressure by a factor of 4 and decrease the length of throw to depower the kite.

the reason the first bow kites had this was because they needed like 2 meters of bar throw to depower them. the pully bar reduced that to half.

he probably has like 10000000m lines to send the kite pointing as far into the wind window as possible and the line stretch would make turning the kite difficult. increase the amount of line you can pull (by 4 times) then you can effectively turn the kite again and compensate for the line stretch.

it's def not for the depower, because in the 1:1 mode the cab's depower "100%"

pdkite,

Thanks for the correction...I had it exactly backwards concerning the effect of the block and tackle.

I hope this isn't the end of the discussion...I have already learned a lot...but it looks like we should take the discussion over to the "Bar and Pulleys" thread, that just started.

Return to “Kitesurfing”