Lightwind Kiting!

Forum for kitesurfers
alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Re: Lightwind Kiting!

Postby alexrider » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:21 pm

alex a wrote:Hi Everyone,
..., I might be able to air freight a board out of the factory at Vietnam (same as Jimmy Lewis Factory) to Thailand. I am not sure if I can get it there for the race (Chinese New Year) but might be possible! alex@alexaguera.com
.....Alex
Thanks Alex,
Will email you.
:bye:
Alex

alex a
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Beaches on Maui like Kanaha, Hookipa, Lanes, etc.
Favorite Beaches: Hookipa
Kanaha
La Ventana
Most beaches in Florida
Style: all kinds
Gear: Aguera Boards
Cabrinha Kites
Brand Affiliation: Aguera
Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby alex a » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:01 pm

Hey Ronnie,
Where are you living now?? Are you the same Ronnie I used to kite with all the time? The good ole days at Kite beach??
If so, Kai Katch is really enjoying your Jetski this winter! Lots of Jaws action this season...Him and Francisco Porcella have been getting some good ones..
Just started kiting again after a 4 year layoff, Jesse and Shawn Richman got me back into it!
Here is my new website I have been working on http://alexaguera.com..
Alex

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:47 pm

alex a wrote:Hey Ronnie,
Where are you living now?? Are you the same Ronnie I used to kite with all the time? The good ole days at Kite beach??
If so, Kai Katch is really enjoying your Jetski this winter! Lots of Jaws action this season...Him and Francisco Porcella have been getting some good ones..
Just started kiting again after a 4 year layoff, Jesse and Shawn Richman got me back into it!
Here is my new website I have been working on http://alexaguera.com..
Alex
Hi Alex,
No, we've never met, and I live in Ireland. I remembered you from films like Trade Winds, and as a windsurfer, I've read about your boards and stuff for many years. I only mentioned that before, because some kiters might not have known you have a long history as a waterman.
I'm very interested in lightwind kiting as an add-on to windsurfing, hence my interest in raceboards etc.
Looking forward to the production boards. Are they Aguera production boards, or Cabrinha?

cheers,
Ronnie

alex a
Medium Poster
Kanaha
La Ventana
Most beaches in Florida
Cabrinha Kites
Cabrinha

Postby alex a » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:28 pm

Hi Ronnie,
Nice to meet you!
I am making my own Aguera brand Production Boards at http://alexaguera.com and I am making two models of the Kite Race boards for Cabrinha as well. I have been riding the Cabrinha Crossbows on these race boards. I really love this kite for racing!
Alex

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:59 pm

Hi Alex,
Good to hear about the Cabrinha race boards - they sould be more accessible over here.
Seems like the boards are ahead of the kites at the moment. I have the 13m Xbow, but I would reckon the relaunch requires 8 knots, so I guess I'll have to do some experiments to see if I could lower that.

The 59 looks like a nice simple design, that would be easy to paddle back in with the kite on it. What length is it? For freeride, my concern is comfort and being able to ride with less effort, so I'm used to more dome on my windsurfers, which helps hold the board flat. Race boards look like a lot of hard work and a tough stance, so I am modifying race fins to fit to a large waveboard to see how that goes, before deciding about a raceboard.

best of luck,
Ronnie

alex a
Medium Poster
Kanaha
La Ventana
Most beaches in Florida
Cabrinha Kites
Cabrinha

Postby alex a » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:00 am

Hi Ronnie,
The Aguera CR 59 is 178, the bigger Cabrinha model is 183 (6'0").
Yes you can paddle back in on these boards! Just make sure your harness hook does not ding the deck (take harness hook off or move it)! I have put dings a few times on the prototypes with my harness hook... I actually straddle the board now with legs on both sides in the water to relaunch kite when wind is too lite.. I can sit up in this position for a while and see what the kite is doing while I am waiting for wind, way more cozy then actually being in the water next to your board..I saw Adam Koch doing this when we were training in La Ventana in really light air, now I do it all the time!
Alex

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:19 pm

Thanks for the answers Alex.

kiterdrew
Medium Poster
Local Beach: East Beach, Anna Maria, Skyway
Favorite Beaches: East Beach, Skyway
Style: Wakestyle
Brand Affiliation: Mutiny Kites

Postby kiterdrew » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:22 pm

Hey i was just wondering how much it cost for a raceboard? as im interested in starting to race and also for a lightwind fix. I have a 13m Eze so i would guess the lite wind would be awesome. let me know alex. or shoot me a pm. thanks

alex a
Medium Poster
Kanaha
La Ventana
Most beaches in Florida
Cabrinha Kites
Cabrinha

Postby alex a » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:51 am

Hi Kiterdrew,
I think the boards with fins, pads and straps will be around $950.
These CNC (computer shaped) fins can be $100-$150 each if bought separately. I was thinking of doing hand foiled cheaper fins but decided to go all out with really nice CNC fins.. I can't quote Price on the Cabrinha model on this though, only the Aguera brand...Cabrinha Kite Courserace models will be out shortly as well as the Aguera Models. We should be testing new Cabrinha models here in Maui in the 1st week of March!!
Alex

Return to “Kitesurfing”