Style: Learning
Gear: 10m EH / Freak Dog Vicious, 140x40Freak Dog Tracker
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

End of February in Florida

Postby Naby » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:44 am

Hello,

I am planning to go to Miami for a week at the end of February.

I am a beginner still trying to learn to stay on the board. (yes I did take lessons)

I have just one 10m kite and one 140 cm board. Is it worth bringing this equipment for my trip?
If so, can you suggest a beginner friendly spot?

Thank you

Jan

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Re: End of February in Florida

Postby adamj2281 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:25 pm

I was there a year and a half ago when I was first learning and everyone pointed me to Matheson Hammock, which in comparsion to Charleston, is a pretty sketchy drift launch off a parking lot. Depending on what level you are, you may be comfortable here, I would say that once you are launched it looked decent (light chop, flat water).

Your other option is Crandon Park in Key Biscayne, but you have to pass an IKO test to ride there, or take a lesson.

Krazedkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby Krazedkiter » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:42 pm

We have had mostyl N/NW/W winds this season which is terrible for us. Worst seaosn ever.

If your lucky enough to get S to E/or NE (no N) you can go to Crandon on Key Biscayne. Heavily regulated. Need IKO level 3 and kite insurance.

Option for a beginner who cannot ride yet is supervised practice. There is a good shallow large practicing area to learn. You have to pay them $50 to do it but it gives you free rain of the place w/o the certification.

One note, if you pay the $50 for supervised practice, INSIST that the manager assignes a specific instructor to be the one watching over you and INSIST that the manager tells the instructor ahead of time who you are and what kite you will have. Your paying them money to ride i na public spot, they need to earn it. It is not a private lesson but it includes the instructor keeping an eye on you from a distance in case you get in trouble.

Naby
Medium Poster

Postby Naby » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:23 am

Where is Charleston?

I will check with MiamiKiteboarding for Crandon. The supervised session may be exactly what I need.

On Kitebeaches.com, I saw "Miami Flats". Any comments on that one?

Thanks

Jan

Krazedkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby Krazedkiter » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:45 am

If you are not proficient at staying upwind and very comfortable riding, the Miami flats are not for you.

The flats are basically the flats around Stiltsville on the south end of Key Biscayne. Boat access only. Strong ocean current channels on all sides of the flats with boat trafiic. NOT for beginners no matter what anyone tells you.

There are 2 little flats up against land on the west side of Key Biscayne that are only accessible by boat as well that are sometimes used.

The flats are mostly used in any type of wind with west in it.

Miami is a difficult place to learn. We have the most miles of beach you could ever imagine but very few launch access points. So many restrictions and so little public beach access. One so heavily regulated that its becoming expensive to kite even after you buy the gear.

AndrewJMcGee
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Napeuage, Shinnecock
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras Island, Montauk NY
Style: Twin tips, Naish Mutant
Gear: Ozone, Liquid force, Nobile, Naish

Postby AndrewJMcGee » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:56 pm

Bring a wetsuit. Just was in the keys and the water was warm, but the air was cold with strong northerly winds from the cold fronts! I had 1 mil shorts and a 1 mil vest and got cold. It is do able without, I personally would of loved a 3 mil suit.

greginkw
Medium Poster
Local Beach: St Augustine and Matanzas inlet Florida.
Smathers beach Key West.
Gear: Everything I can get my hands on.
Brand Affiliation: Airush, F-One, Ozone, Slingshot, Cabrinha, Caution and Wainman.
Axis, Crazy Fly.

Postby greginkw » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:53 pm

Hi Naby, if you have the time and can make it to key west give us a call, or if you can not make it all the way here try and get to Islamorada and hook up with either "7 sports" or the guys at "the otherside boardsports"

Greg http://keywestkiteboarding.com/

Naby
Medium Poster

Postby Naby » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:01 am

Thanks for the info guys!
I know my limitations. If you say it's for advances riders, it's definitely not for me.

Greg, Key West sounds and looks awesome but you're 4 hours away from Miami. Unfortunately, I will not be able to make it there. Maybe on my next trip if I plan accordingly. Are there any reasonably priced hotels nearby?

I did a little bit more research and I found this school in Fort Lauderdale: www.eastcoastkiteboarding.com
Does anyone have anything to say about them? My concern is that Fort Lauderdale beach will have waves which would make learning more difficult. Am I right?

Jan

lifeonlake
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Monashka Bay Beach
Favorite Beaches: Miami, Florida

Postby lifeonlake » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:38 am

I am also going to Florida next month, with my family.There is a huge fun there.May be on the spot I have met many of yours.This will be enjoyable too.

greginkw
Medium Poster
Local Beach: St Augustine and Matanzas inlet Florida.
Smathers beach Key West.
Gear: Everything I can get my hands on.
Brand Affiliation: Airush, F-One, Ozone, Slingshot, Cabrinha, Caution and Wainman.
Axis, Crazy Fly.

Postby greginkw » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:10 pm

Hi Jan ,We can definately help with cheap accomodations if you ever come here , we work with a local visitor center that has over a hundred properties that they book for so places to stay are no problem most of the times, they also average about 20 to 40 percent cheaper than advertised rates. Our windy season normally starts in Oct, so let us know if you can ever make it here and we will help as much as we can.

Greg
http://keywestkiteboarding.com/index.html

Return to “Travel”