Forum for kitesurfers
grantwe
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Reverse launch Wook 16.5m

Postby grantwe » Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:44 pm

Hi there,

I had the unfortunate pleasure of ditching my wook 16.5m in 15kt winds.
I tried everything to relaunch but no way. My 12m wook relaunches no problem.

Apparently one can reverse launch by joining a 5th line to the 2 trailing edge connectors provided. How do I do this??

Thanks,
G.

btw: I was out on my 12m in winds gusting 30mph yesterday. It has awesome depower - no 'moon walking' on the beach and flies you straight upwind really far into the window.

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 30, 2003 6:22 am

Try:

http://www.kitesnowboard.com/Content/Me ... setup.html

Good explaination and a video.

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:02 am

Hi Grant

How are you lines set up on your 12m wook? I've got one and was fully powered in 20mph (depower set up at min power) and had to walk half a mile with it(thanks to low tide!).

Also do your tips flare out 'cos mine do sometimes excessively!

cheers

Alex

grantwe
Medium Poster

Postby grantwe » Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:52 pm

Hi Alex,

What I did do in strong wind was lengthen the back lines by sliding off the rubber sleeves at each end of the bar and moving the larkshead to the last knot. This takes the pressure off the back lines - hence less power.
(there are 3 knots to chose from)

If the next time I go out it is a lighter wind then I will definitely tighten them to get more power.

To check if the back lines are not too short and therefore flaring the tips/stalling the kite it is best to lay your lines out without attaching the kite. Make the main line adjusting strap as long as possible and make sure the chicken loop is right up against the bar (both as if wanting to be totally powered).
If in this position your steering lines are shorter than the main lines you will need to adjust them to make them the same length.

Was the half a mile walk due to sailing down wind or was the kite walking you down the beach before you got on the water?

In those 30mph winds I spent a lot of the time with the main line depower strap as tight as possible and with the bar pushed as far away from the chicken loop as it could go - survival mode!

It is an awesome kite but a bit frisky. Next time I will attach the rear lines to the inner tassels to make it turn slower.

Hope this helps,
Grant.

Fatfish98
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Fatfish98 » Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:58 pm

I shortened my chicken loop by 3 inches as it was just too long and I find that I only use the adjuster strap to set the kite power for the day (strong or lighter wind)
Even when it's 25 to 30 knots like today I only made small adjustments to the strap as the kite will fully depower on the chicken loop.
You don't want the wing tips to flare when you are riding as this will slow or stall the kite so don't pull the bar in too far........if it flares just let your arms out a bit ..........if it still flares then pull on more depower strap.

Postby Guest » Thu May 01, 2003 6:03 am

cheers for the replys guys!

Won't be able to check the lines till Sun but think there is a possibility that the rear lines are too short, as was out yesterday and could'nt really depower the kite that much (I weigh 75kgs) especially when on the beach!

ps the reason for the long walk was the tide had gone out 1/2 a mile !! (greatstone beach, uk)

Brenho
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Brenho » Thu May 01, 2003 7:28 am

Hi,

Definitly check all line lengths, specially after the first times out. I had to shorten my Skoop2 back lines 15 in one side and 20cm (!!) on the other!!! The bar and lines are the same as Wook.

Return to “Kitesurfing”