Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Rain ?

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 11, 2002 10:47 pm

Can you go kiteboarding when its raining ??

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 11, 2002 10:57 pm

Yes. As long as there is wind.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri Jul 12, 2002 4:03 am

Yes, as long as you don't have lightening near by (1 to 10 miles away?) and there are no squalls or unstable weather coming in. If you fly near squalls you might end up going on a nice involuntary lofting flight. Exciting but not easy to top, particularly from the hospital!

Check out:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kitesurf/ ... formation/

for more ideas.

Rick Iossi

Johnny TBKS
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Johnny TBKS » Mon Jul 15, 2002 1:18 am

No problem at all to kitesurf in the rain. Why not, yer wet anyways! I think inflatable kites would be the obvious choice over foil kites for riding in the rain.

Just keep a close eye on current conditions and approaching weather and be ready to get to land and landed quickly...don't venture too far away.

I personally prefer to not fly in the rain as I have found from my own experience that rain usually involves some sort of a storm cloud to some extent, and these kind of clouds generally carry along pretty un-predictable conditions.

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:02 am

some kites fly bad when wet.

often, wheather is very unstable when it's raining - you're cruisin' @ a 3-4bft and the next cloud coming up brings you a nice gust of 7 bft ...

watch out more often for any visible changes in the sky - darker or lighter clouds, edges etc.

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Mon Aug 12, 2002 6:04 pm

Inflatables still fly well in the rain as long as the the wind isn't 5 knots or something low like that. I find the sunny conditions to give the most stable wind but as long as it isn't unstable kiting in the rain is heaps of fun.....

Just look behind you every now and then for dark clouds and also look at the water for scouring (ie surface is being roughed up by strong wind).

Return to “Kitesurfing”