Gear: 10 North Vegas 9m, 12m
10 North Rebel 16m
10 North Team Series 135cm
Brand Affiliation: http://thechickenloop.com, North Kiteboarding
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kiting in Mazatlan Mexico at the end of March

Postby trandg » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:38 am

So I'm headed to Mazatlan in about 2 weeks time and I'm debating what kite sizes to bring and if I'll even be able to kite down there without making the trek to La Paz. From what my basic googling has shown, the ferry is expensive and not really worth it for just a couple of days. So hopefully I can kite within reach of Mazatlan. Will have a rental car.

I didn't find much useful info through searching here, so hopefully someone can give some feedback. Thanks!

David

peligro18
Medium Poster
Local Beach: i just bought it!
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kiting in Mazatlan Mexico at the end of March

Postby peligro18 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:29 pm

i live in culiacan 2 hours from mazatlan and the best beach is north 2 hours... that is were all my crew do the kiting... go to google maps... and find yameto or tambor or altata...that is a nice place...
for mazatlan there is JONO that guy is the owner of mazatlan kiting scene... good guy good friend...he has a 14 ...the shortest kite should be a 12... i ride a 10 and my surfboard...
the windsurf club is on the CID hotel... infront there is a island and that makes a good "microweather"

if you need any more info dont hesitate in asking!

if you want to go to the other beach and have a car or want to take the buss (2 hours) we can pick you there and you can kite with us... (up north in altata)

bemex
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Pascuales
Favorite Beaches: xametla
Style: strapless
Gear: north

Postby bemex » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:25 pm

you should be able to kite there, i ve found good wind, ive been out on my 12 and 14overpower

no need to go anywhere else but nuevo altata is SIIICK and a little windier.

have a good one i love kiting in mazatlan and altata

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All Mexico: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo. Acapulco, Guerrero. Boca del Rio, Veracruz.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Ozone Kites: Reo V3 8m, Edge V9 8m, C4 2015 10m, Edge V9 13m, Chrono V3 15m, Ozone Zephyr V5 17m. Core XR5 10m.
Boards: Fone Acid 132 2016, ASP NZ Stealth Custom 135, Axis Limited 140 2018, Axis Ultra 144 2015,Axis New Wave 5'8" Surf, Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surf, Camet Custom 139 Foilboard and Alpine Foil Access V3 Foil, Naish Alaia Strapless
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone,Core,Slingshot,Naish,F-ONE,Crazy Fly,Axis,Mystic,Manera,Pro-Limit & Dakine.

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:45 am

You can also kite at www.cardonresort.com sometimes, buoyweather is pretty accurate, the owner kitesurfs, dont hesitate to contact roberto peligro when you are there. Bigger kite is better

trandg
Medium Poster
10 North Rebel 16m

Postby trandg » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:26 pm

hey all, thanks for all your tips. looks like I'll bring my 12m/16m and hope to get a few days of wind. I'll let you know how it goes!

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All Mexico: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo. Acapulco, Guerrero. Boca del Rio, Veracruz.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Gear: Ozone Kites: Reo V3 8m, Edge V9 8m, C4 2015 10m, Edge V9 13m, Chrono V3 15m, Ozone Zephyr V5 17m. Core XR5 10m.
Boards: Fone Acid 132 2016, ASP NZ Stealth Custom 135, Axis Limited 140 2018, Axis Ultra 144 2015,Axis New Wave 5'8" Surf, Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surf, Camet Custom 139 Foilboard and Alpine Foil Access V3 Foil, Naish Alaia Strapless
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone,Core,Slingshot,Naish,F-ONE,Crazy Fly,Axis,Mystic,Manera,Pro-Limit & Dakine.

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:54 am

Until when are you staying? I will be in Mazatlan from March 31st to April 4th

Cheers
Andy

trandg
Medium Poster
10 North Rebel 16m

Postby trandg » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:24 pm

Andres_Santacruz wrote:Until when are you staying? I will be in Mazatlan from March 31st to April 4th

Cheers
Andy
I will be there March 28-3rd of April. Pm me and we can exchange details. I should have my phone/email down there and definitely would like to get a few days of kiting in!

MiguelBjj
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Corpus
Gear: Cabrinha Vector, Mystic Majestic, Xenon Rayo

Postby MiguelBjj » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:16 pm

How about Isla de Piedra? I have a lot of good friends there but I just got into kiteboarding. Never saw anyone kiting there.

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:00 pm

It's not really ever too windy at mazatlan, even less during the summer, but you can contact the local kiters here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Mazatlankitesurf/

Return to “Kitesurfing”