Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Slingshot RPM. Is 3 Struts Enough?

forum for kitesurfers


Kiteosphere
Medium Poster
Posts: 139
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:55 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Florida

Re: Slingshot RPM. Is 3 Struts Enough?

Postby Kiteosphere » Fri May 08, 2009 12:41 pm

The 6M, 8M & 10M come with SS's small bar while the 12M comes with the medium bar. I'm sure you can uses the smaller bar and have done so but it will slow the kite down some. And, yes you can use other bars on the RPMs, just make sure that all 4 line lengths are even to start with and trim from there. In my opinion SS makes one of the best if not the best bar on the market. Great grip, redundant safety, padded bar ends, below the bar safety, nylon center insert, on the fly stopper ball, coated lines that minimize tangles as well as fat flying lines to minimize stretch.

ElHombre
Medium Poster
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:55 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Germany

Re: Slingshot RPM. Is 3 Struts Enough?

Postby ElHombre » Fri May 08, 2009 2:07 pm

Sure the the bar is not bad, but - for example no central push away release, size is not adjustable...

Its possible to live with that but its definately far away from the best bar of the market ;-)

Kiteosphere
Medium Poster
Posts: 139
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:55 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Florida

Re: Slingshot RPM. Is 3 Struts Enough?

Postby Kiteosphere » Fri May 08, 2009 3:40 pm

The adjustable bar is a nice innovation which SS hasn't adopted to date but I wouldn't want to use the same bar on my 6,8 or 10 as I would on my 14 anyway. I like the small bar for the smaller kites. However an adjustable bar for say the 12 and 14 M kites would make a lot of sense or cents from a cost prospective. With respect to the release it is just a matter of taste. Thee SS system works just fine in my opinion. Everyone has their own preferences and to each his own. All things considered the SS bars and lines are top quality products.

User avatar
TilmanHH
Medium Poster
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:13 pm
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Hamburg Germany

Re: Slingshot RPM. Is 3 Struts Enough?

Postby TilmanHH » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:06 pm

Hey guys I got my 2010 rpm without a manual. Can I download it somewhere? To what psi is the pumping recommended? thx

User avatar
TilmanHH
Medium Poster
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:13 pm
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Hamburg Germany

Re: Slingshot RPM. Is 3 Struts Enough?

Postby TilmanHH » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:09 pm

Do you remove the clips at the octopus valves or do you use them? a friend of mine recommended removing the clips...

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1098
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:27 pm
Kiting since: 99
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent
Location: Hood River, Or. USA
Contact:

Re: Slingshot RPM. Is 3 Struts Enough?

Postby shymac » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:19 pm

TilmanHH wrote:Hey guys I got my 2010 rpm without a manual. Can I download it somewhere? To what psi is the pumping recommended? thx


Downloadable PDF file
http://www.slingshotsports.com/s.nl/cty ... ategory=47


TilmanHH wrote:Do you remove the clips at the octopus valves or do you use them? a friend of mine recommended removing the clips...


You can remove the One-Pump clips but its really personal preference... For me, I leave them on to help stabilize the LE and if anything did happen while on the water the Clips would allow some of the kite to maintain air pressure. Where as if you didn't use those clips the whole kite could deflate. A completely deflated kites is much more hard to get to shore then a one that partially inflated. TIP: In gusty up and down conditions try clipping your clips off and put a couple more PSI in the LE. This isolates the LE from the Struts and allows the most ridged LE frame for gusty conditions.

Further detail on the RPM.

User avatar
magnus_norway
Medium Poster
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:29 am
Kiting since: 2005
Gear: Slingshot RPM 10
Cabrinha XBow 7
Cabrinha Switchblade 12
Slingshot Lunacy 129
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Slingshot RPM. Is 3 Struts Enough?

Postby magnus_norway » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:37 pm

shymac wrote:TIP: In gusty up and down conditions try clipping your clips off and put a couple more PSI in the LE. This isolates the LE from the Struts and allows the most ridged LE frame for gusty conditions.

A friend of mine said that his main reason for not wanting one pump is that the struts should have twice the pressure of the LE... What's your take on this? Any reason that the struts should have a much higher pressure than the LE?

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1098
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:27 pm
Kiting since: 99
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent
Location: Hood River, Or. USA
Contact:

Re: Slingshot RPM. Is 3 Struts Enough?

Postby shymac » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:58 pm

magnus_norway wrote:
shymac wrote:TIP: In gusty up and down conditions try clipping your clips off and put a couple more PSI in the LE. This isolates the LE from the Struts and allows the most ridged LE frame for gusty conditions.

A friend of mine said that his main reason for not wanting one pump is that the struts should have twice the pressure of the LE... What's your take on this? Any reason that the struts should have a much higher pressure than the LE?


Ask yourself does this make any logical sense.. Struts needing more air? From my point of view... Most of the stability of the bridled kites come from the LE and bridle layout... The struts aid in relaunch and stabilizing the canopy in terms of keeping it open and not collapse on ya. But more air in the struts really doesn't effect much. But you wouldn't just want them completely soft. The cut of the canopy is design to be stable if its not you can get lots of canopy flutter and unwanted flight behaviors... That's why SS uses a loose leach tension to create a canopy pocket to help stabilize and prevent unwanted flutter.

Its hard to get a kite flutter free without adding tons of struts. That's why the RPM is such a sweet kite because with only 3 struts its about as solid as the FUEL with 5... If you talking a kite without bridles is nice to have everything max out but you don't need to put more PSI in the struts. Kite with bridles, I add a couple more PSI to the LE in storm conditions but mostly I just put the standard 8-9 psi.

User avatar
magnus_norway
Medium Poster
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:29 am
Kiting since: 2005
Gear: Slingshot RPM 10
Cabrinha XBow 7
Cabrinha Switchblade 12
Slingshot Lunacy 129
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Slingshot RPM. Is 3 Struts Enough?

Postby magnus_norway » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:20 pm

shymac wrote:
magnus_norway wrote:
shymac wrote:TIP: In gusty up and down conditions try clipping your clips off and put a couple more PSI in the LE. This isolates the LE from the Struts and allows the most ridged LE frame for gusty conditions.

A friend of mine said that his main reason for not wanting one pump is that the struts should have twice the pressure of the LE... What's your take on this? Any reason that the struts should have a much higher pressure than the LE?


Ask yourself does this make any logical sense.. Struts needing more air? From my point of view... Most of the stability of the bridled kites come from the LE and bridle layout... The struts aid in relaunch and stabilizing the canopy in terms of keeping it open and not collapse on ya. But more air in the struts really doesn't effect much. But you wouldn't just want them completely soft. The cut of the canopy is design to be stable if its not you can get lots of canopy flutter and unwanted flight behaviors... That's why SS uses a loose leach tension to create a canopy pocket to help stabilize and prevent unwanted flutter.

Its hard to get a kite flutter free without adding tons of struts. That's why the RPM is such a sweet kite because with only 3 struts its about as solid as the FUEL with 5... If you talking a kite without bridles is nice to have everything max out but you don't need to put more PSI in the struts. Kite with bridles, I add a couple more PSI to the LE in storm conditions but mostly I just put the standard 8-9 psi.

Thanks for the input! I have asked myself this, and couldn't find any. Still wanted to just shoot off the question to you to make sure it wasn't anything I hadn't thought of :) Then for me, I can't see why one pump is such a bad thing that a lot of guys are arguing... Never had it fail on me, and I think it really is faster and more user friendly!
Last edited by magnus_norway on Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TilmanHH
Medium Poster
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:13 pm
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Hamburg Germany

Re: Slingshot RPM. Is 3 Struts Enough?

Postby TilmanHH » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:56 pm

shymac wrote:
TilmanHH wrote:Hey guys I got my 2010 rpm without a manual. Can I download it somewhere? To what psi is the pumping recommended? thx


Downloadable PDF file
http://www.slingshotsports.com/s.nl/cty ... ategory=47


Hey thanks for the link but it doesn´t work... :o


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Adolfo, Bing [Bot], JaZone, Paulwoller, Yahoo [Bot] and 20 guests