*


All times are UTC + 1 hour



Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Slingshot RPM. Is 3 Struts Enough?
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:41 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:55 am
Posts: 139
Location: Florida
The 6M, 8M & 10M come with SS's small bar while the 12M comes with the medium bar. I'm sure you can uses the smaller bar and have done so but it will slow the kite down some. And, yes you can use other bars on the RPMs, just make sure that all 4 line lengths are even to start with and trim from there. In my opinion SS makes one of the best if not the best bar on the market. Great grip, redundant safety, padded bar ends, below the bar safety, nylon center insert, on the fly stopper ball, coated lines that minimize tangles as well as fat flying lines to minimize stretch.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Slingshot RPM. Is 3 Struts Enough?
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:07 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:55 am
Posts: 111
Location: Germany
Sure the the bar is not bad, but - for example no central push away release, size is not adjustable...

Its possible to live with that but its definately far away from the best bar of the market ;-)


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Slingshot RPM. Is 3 Struts Enough?
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:40 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:55 am
Posts: 139
Location: Florida
The adjustable bar is a nice innovation which SS hasn't adopted to date but I wouldn't want to use the same bar on my 6,8 or 10 as I would on my 14 anyway. I like the small bar for the smaller kites. However an adjustable bar for say the 12 and 14 M kites would make a lot of sense or cents from a cost prospective. With respect to the release it is just a matter of taste. Thee SS system works just fine in my opinion. Everyone has their own preferences and to each his own. All things considered the SS bars and lines are top quality products.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Slingshot RPM. Is 3 Struts Enough?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:06 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:13 pm
Posts: 54
Location: Hamburg Germany
Hey guys I got my 2010 rpm without a manual. Can I download it somewhere? To what psi is the pumping recommended? thx


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Slingshot RPM. Is 3 Struts Enough?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:09 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:13 pm
Posts: 54
Location: Hamburg Germany
Do you remove the clips at the octopus valves or do you use them? a friend of mine recommended removing the clips...


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Slingshot RPM. Is 3 Struts Enough?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:19 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:27 pm
Posts: 1098
Location: Hood River, Or. USA
TilmanHH wrote:
Hey guys I got my 2010 rpm without a manual. Can I download it somewhere? To what psi is the pumping recommended? thx


Downloadable PDF file
http://www.slingshotsports.com/s.nl/cty ... ategory=47


TilmanHH wrote:
Do you remove the clips at the octopus valves or do you use them? a friend of mine recommended removing the clips...


You can remove the One-Pump clips but its really personal preference... For me, I leave them on to help stabilize the LE and if anything did happen while on the water the Clips would allow some of the kite to maintain air pressure. Where as if you didn't use those clips the whole kite could deflate. A completely deflated kites is much more hard to get to shore then a one that partially inflated. TIP: In gusty up and down conditions try clipping your clips off and put a couple more PSI in the LE. This isolates the LE from the Struts and allows the most ridged LE frame for gusty conditions.

Further detail on the RPM.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Slingshot RPM. Is 3 Struts Enough?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:37 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:29 am
Posts: 109
shymac wrote:
TIP: In gusty up and down conditions try clipping your clips off and put a couple more PSI in the LE. This isolates the LE from the Struts and allows the most ridged LE frame for gusty conditions.

A friend of mine said that his main reason for not wanting one pump is that the struts should have twice the pressure of the LE... What's your take on this? Any reason that the struts should have a much higher pressure than the LE?


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Slingshot RPM. Is 3 Struts Enough?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:58 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:27 pm
Posts: 1098
Location: Hood River, Or. USA
magnus_norway wrote:
shymac wrote:
TIP: In gusty up and down conditions try clipping your clips off and put a couple more PSI in the LE. This isolates the LE from the Struts and allows the most ridged LE frame for gusty conditions.

A friend of mine said that his main reason for not wanting one pump is that the struts should have twice the pressure of the LE... What's your take on this? Any reason that the struts should have a much higher pressure than the LE?


Ask yourself does this make any logical sense.. Struts needing more air? From my point of view... Most of the stability of the bridled kites come from the LE and bridle layout... The struts aid in relaunch and stabilizing the canopy in terms of keeping it open and not collapse on ya. But more air in the struts really doesn't effect much. But you wouldn't just want them completely soft. The cut of the canopy is design to be stable if its not you can get lots of canopy flutter and unwanted flight behaviors... That's why SS uses a loose leach tension to create a canopy pocket to help stabilize and prevent unwanted flutter.

Its hard to get a kite flutter free without adding tons of struts. That's why the RPM is such a sweet kite because with only 3 struts its about as solid as the FUEL with 5... If you talking a kite without bridles is nice to have everything max out but you don't need to put more PSI in the struts. Kite with bridles, I add a couple more PSI to the LE in storm conditions but mostly I just put the standard 8-9 psi.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Slingshot RPM. Is 3 Struts Enough?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:20 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:29 am
Posts: 109
shymac wrote:
magnus_norway wrote:
shymac wrote:
TIP: In gusty up and down conditions try clipping your clips off and put a couple more PSI in the LE. This isolates the LE from the Struts and allows the most ridged LE frame for gusty conditions.

A friend of mine said that his main reason for not wanting one pump is that the struts should have twice the pressure of the LE... What's your take on this? Any reason that the struts should have a much higher pressure than the LE?


Ask yourself does this make any logical sense.. Struts needing more air? From my point of view... Most of the stability of the bridled kites come from the LE and bridle layout... The struts aid in relaunch and stabilizing the canopy in terms of keeping it open and not collapse on ya. But more air in the struts really doesn't effect much. But you wouldn't just want them completely soft. The cut of the canopy is design to be stable if its not you can get lots of canopy flutter and unwanted flight behaviors... That's why SS uses a loose leach tension to create a canopy pocket to help stabilize and prevent unwanted flutter.

Its hard to get a kite flutter free without adding tons of struts. That's why the RPM is such a sweet kite because with only 3 struts its about as solid as the FUEL with 5... If you talking a kite without bridles is nice to have everything max out but you don't need to put more PSI in the struts. Kite with bridles, I add a couple more PSI to the LE in storm conditions but mostly I just put the standard 8-9 psi.

Thanks for the input! I have asked myself this, and couldn't find any. Still wanted to just shoot off the question to you to make sure it wasn't anything I hadn't thought of :) Then for me, I can't see why one pump is such a bad thing that a lot of guys are arguing... Never had it fail on me, and I think it really is faster and more user friendly!


Last edited by magnus_norway on Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Slingshot RPM. Is 3 Struts Enough?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:56 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:13 pm
Posts: 54
Location: Hamburg Germany
shymac wrote:
TilmanHH wrote:
Hey guys I got my 2010 rpm without a manual. Can I download it somewhere? To what psi is the pumping recommended? thx


Downloadable PDF file
http://www.slingshotsports.com/s.nl/cty ... ategory=47


Hey thanks for the link but it doesn´t work... :o


Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], poldo and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group