Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Bring Back the Mutant

Forum for kitesurfers
OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Bring Back the Mutant

Postby OzBungy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:13 am

Now that directional boarsd have been well and truly resurrected it's about time manufacturers re-invented the mutant.

Strapped surfboards are fun when there are waves around. They're a bit of a waste of time without waves.

Most of us only get to ride crappy onshore slop so again and directional wave board is a bit of overkill.

My back leg gets tired from all that toeside riding.

Gybing is easy enough to do but it's more fun to slash a turn than dick around with swapping feet.

I don't jump so well off toeside so I miss out on a lot of aerial action when I ride my surfboard.

Ocean Rodeo and Flyboards have mutants in their lineup. A bit more choice would be nice.

ravenboardz
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bring Back the Mutant

Postby ravenboardz » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:17 am

Firebird Underground still my favourite board. Use it for years. Great fun and uptodate...

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:35 am

There are others.
Attachments
toxic-wave-2.png
toxic-wave-2.png (46.59 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
3154528.jpg
3154528.jpg (13.82 KiB) Viewed 1475 times

wondamic
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Leadbetter and C-Street
Style: Freestyle & Waves
Gear: Wainman all the way!
Brand Affiliation: Airborne Kiteboarding

Postby wondamic » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:07 am

Peep out what Franz is up to: http://www.alkita.fr/

He made my board (The yellow with red and white strips). I can ride it in all conditions. Waves, flates, chop, you name his boards are SICK. :jump:

Fully custom too! Everything from weight, style, conditions of wind/current/water, size, straps, fins and more...

Thanks Franz!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:18 am

A friend of mine rides only his old Naish Mutant and loves it.

So looks like there is a market. Can anyone list which Mutants are new these days?

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:27 am

There are variations on the boards with nose fins. The Slingshot fuse looks most like the historic mutant to me.

http://www.live2kite.com/slingshot-2009 ... p-855.html
Attachments
SSFuse151_b_600.jpg
SSFuse151_b_600.jpg (18.14 KiB) Viewed 1427 times

harviento
Medium Poster

Postby harviento » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:25 am

OzBungy wrote:Most of us only get to ride crappy onshore slop so again and directional wave board is a bit of overkill.

My back leg gets tired from all that toeside riding.

Gybing is easy enough to do but it's more fun to slash a turn than dick around with swapping feet.

I don't jump so well off toeside so I miss out on a lot of aerial action when I ride my surfboard.
With everything you are saying, you should also consider the Ocean Rodeo Mako. I bought one a few months ago for exactly the kind of riding you're talking about. I also have a surfboard, but for sloppy days, the Mako is perfect. While it has a bi-directional shape, it has a totally surfy feel to it. I have not ridden a mutant, so I can not compare, but the feel of the Mako is somewhere between a twintip and a surfboard, way closer to the surfy side than the Jimmy Lewis. Feels great riding heelside/toeside like a surfboard, but also nice to be able to rest by riding heelside switch every once in a while. Very carvy - you can really lay into the turns. And yes, it's easy to boost and have all the aerial fun that you want. I debated about which size to get but have found plenty of surfy fun with the 140 while also having a good all-round board. The 150 or King would be even more surfy.

haynman
Medium Poster
Style: surf

Postby haynman » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:41 pm

Great memories on my Naish mutant :thumb: :thumb: ......unfort. buckled the bottom.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:49 pm

Hmmhh, have spend last season on a twin tip and liked it lot, but maybe I should brush the dust of my mutants and revive them (I am riding old school style anyway). Still have a fine selection in my cellar: Naish 5.0 (2003), Naish 4,7 Pro (2004), Naish 121 (2005)

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:38 pm

OzBungy wrote: My back leg gets tired from all that toeside riding.
Take your back foot out of th strap and place it closer to the front foot and toes nearer the upwind rail. THis will even out your weight, lower the nose of you board and take the load off your back foot. Better upwind etc.

OzBungy wrote: Gybing is easy enough to do but it's more fun to slash a turn than dick around with swapping feet.
Swap your feet before you turn and you can slash the turn as fast and tight as you want

Most important get good at toeside both ways.

Also if there isn't monster chop and ditch the straps!

Regarding mutants... the biggest advantage is being able to reverse away from trouble in a beat.
However quick footwork on a strapless is just as fast.

One aspect of mutants that I don't like is the locked in position of the straps.
Very bad for boards that require more edging and more power to ride... hence stress on the knees. However the rotating strap system that came out recently would fix that.

Return to “Kitesurfing”