Ruthless Blonde at Soma Bay

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
SBBeachbum
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ruthless Blonde at Soma Bay

Postby SBBeachbum » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:10 am

nikalaitzian wrote:sorry for the capslock guys.

Toby please do that because the behavour of them reminds us that monopolium destroys the quality!!

Ok the quality of the facilities are very good but why charging so much??

Every body knows that they pay almost nothing to run the place (average egyptian salary per month is 50 eur)!!

Thanks in advance
Dude. If you think you can run an operation more efficient, still make money, go ahead and open a kitestation in Egypt. You cough up thousands for gear and then complain about lousy 20 Euros.

Pumma
Medium Poster
Local Beach: KiteBeach Maui , MuiNe Vietnam , Paje Zanzibar , Hua Hin Thailand , 'Secret Spot' Greece
Favorite Beaches: KiteBeach Maui
Gear: North Vegas , Flexifoil Hadlow Wake , Ronix Parks , RipCurl
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Pumma » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:13 pm

SBBeachbum wrote:

Toby please do that because the behavour of them reminds us that monopolium destroys the quality!!

Every body knows that they pay almost nothing to run the place (average egyptian salary per month is 50 eur)!!

Thanks in advance
Dude. If you think you can run an operation more efficient, still make money, go ahead and open a kitestation in Egypt. You cough up thousands for gear and then complain about lousy 20 Euros.
if YOU can pay 20 euro per day for rescue it doesn't mean that everybody can pay it.....
:naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:31 pm

Pumma wrote:
SBBeachbum wrote:

Thanks in advance
if YOU can pay 20 euro per day for rescue it doesn't mean that everybody can pay it.....
:naughty: :naughty: :naughty:
So what is the logic here? If you cannot afford something, you should get it for free or at a reduced rate? I wish! Let's get real here, the price is determined by supply and demand, if they wanted more people there they would reduce the price, they obviously are enjoying the profit as is, and unless this is government regulated the only thing you can do is not go there....? Yes you can complain, but why act as if you are entitled?

I must be missing something here, these people are talking like they are entitled to this service at what ever price they wish to pay... is this some sort of organization or club? Or is this just a private business that happens to control beach access?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:53 pm

all of Soma Bay is private. One Egyptian owns it all...also the kitestation, all hotels.

Soma Bay is more expensive than other areas in Egypt...therefore the Sheraton, Steigenberger, Escalade Golf Hotel and the Robinson Club...and now a 4 star hotel the Breakers for less rich people.

Still, you need money to go there, live there...and kite there!

Maybe they want to keep it exclusive, and not have 100+ kiters, therefore the 20 Euro daily charge.
Could be, since they have people with money coming anyway...

And it is a business...so they need to make some money.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:25 pm

I'm bored at work so here is my 2 cents....

Capitalism at it's finest. I'm sure these people who are complaining would offer the service for free if they were the owners....lol not!
It sounds as though they were surprised and not prepared to pay, otherwise they would go somewhere else for vacation. The costs should be disclosed up front but that is not required, still though it is good business practice to do so. Either way, I doubt anyone cares especially the owner of the land that people are upset they have to pay the set price for the service. I don't know what the laws are there, but I suspect the owner of the land is responsible for the safety of the people using his land and therefore must carry liability insurance, and employ people to ensure the rules are enforced, have a rescue boat and driver, and likely a safety crew who are trained in CPR etc..... all that sounds pretty expensive for the couple hundred they collected the day the OP was there based on the video they could not have been more then 20 riders.
I'm all for unrestricted access and/or free/reasonable parking costs, but if you choose to do this on private property.... pay the set price and if you don't like it go kite somewhere else!

However, if it was me, after we were done kiting that day, I would have talked to people in charge... not the "ruthless blonde", but maybe someone closer to a manager status who has a relationship with the owner of the property (you can always find someone who will listen to reason if you present your argument with class), to explain my concerns and why we may consider vacationing else where in the future because of them.

Toby wrote:all of Soma Bay is private. One Egyptian owns it all...also the kitestation, all hotels.

Soma Bay is more expensive than other areas in Egypt...therefore the Sheraton, Steigenberger, Escalade Golf Hotel and the Robinson Club...and now a 4 star hotel the Breakers for less rich people.

Still, you need money to go there, live there...and kite there!

Maybe they want to keep it exclusive, and not have 100+ kiters, therefore the 20 Euro daily charge.
Could be, since they have people with money coming anyway...

And it is a business...so they need to make some money.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:38 pm

and it always depends on how you approach people. The people I have met there seem all nice.

So maybe there were mistakes on both sides. Doesn't mean things are for free, but I am sure there would have been some solutions to the problems encountered.

Return to “Travel”