Style: Superstyle
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii
Mystic Kiteboarding
Trandscend Kiteboarding Apparel
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Epic Screamer Full Review, Videos, Pics, & Discussion

Postby sol-flyer » Mon May 03, 2010 6:21 am

Nice review :o i took the time to read most of it, I skipped the part about the kite cause i already know how truly amazing the screamers are :wink:

I am a team rider for EPIC and have been riding for 4 yrs...(FYI)

I have a different opinion about the bar, First thing i did when i got the bar was take the OS handles off the outside lines and move one to a center line. (Dimitri was getting all panicky watching me do this...LOL)

Since I first started kiting, I've used an above the bar depower system, But have grown to like the below the bar depower with a "clam cleat" only for hooking my leash to, I find that this depowers the kite just as much, if not more than the mini 5th setup. I rarely depower my kites nowadays...if i am overpowered i will size down, This is what I have found works best to find that "sweet spot" within a kites range. (my quiver is 14m,10m and 7m)

As a kite instructor in the gorge I feel that the mini 5th is not adequate to fully disable the kite. Depower yes, but not disable. For teaching and for my personal setup I prefer a center line to flag out the kite when engaging the safety release on the chicken loop. in overpowered conditions where the safety release really counts, it is near impossible to go into a self rescue once the mini 5th is deployed. This is my only concern about the bar.

Perhaps in the future we will see a below the bar leash attachment (mini 5th) that will also flag out a center line under a certain amount of tension :idea: :?: Also since changing the center line rope and making the throw slightly longer, I have found the Screamers have about 10-15% more depower when sheeting out the bar.

I really appreciate the thurough review with pics and cool vids :jump:

See ya on the water!

KiteCulture
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Epic Renegades, Screamer LTD
Brand Affiliation: EPIC kites www.epickites.com

Postby KiteCulture » Tue May 04, 2010 4:32 pm

I find these kites pretty easy. Must be me, but I never spend much time tuning things. I pull it out of the bag, set it up, fly it and maybe use the trip strap if things get strong, or to let he kite breathe... I like them for the ease of use. More so on the Renegade, but the Screamer is pretty easy too.

Here is another review:
I really like em!

grantman54
Very Frequent Poster

Postby grantman54 » Tue May 04, 2010 6:11 pm

I find these kites pretty easy. Must be me, but I never spend much time tuning things. I pull it out of the bag, set it up, fly it and maybe use the trip strap if things get strong, or to let he kite breathe... I like them for the ease of use. More so on the Renegade, but the Screamer is pretty easy too.
Dont get me wrong, I find these kites pretty easy too. I haven't had a problem flying them on the "stock" settings. Flies fine. But I found tuning can really change the flying dynamics on this kite. Which I like to mess around with and find the right feel for me. Turned a sweet session, into an EPIC session last time.

KiteCulture
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Epic Renegades, Screamer LTD
Brand Affiliation: EPIC kites www.epickites.com

Postby KiteCulture » Tue May 04, 2010 10:01 pm

any suggestion on tuning the LTD Screamer? I'm riding it right out of the bag. LOTS of power with this baby, and I really only fly it in lighter winds (15 knots or less). I'm 145 lbs, 136 twin, 4 yrs experience. Used to riding the Renegade which you never have to think about. I find the Screamer needs a little more attention (or you get spanked). What are your thoughts on moving the bridle? What have you done and why? There are certainly LOTS of tuning options with this kite.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Tue May 04, 2010 10:07 pm

Hello "KiteCulture"
Yes the 10 LTD Screamer is a more advance kite. The best way to set up this kite is to put the flying lines on the 1st knot closest to the Mickey Mouse ears on the bar just above the Depower Strap.
This will be better for unhooking the kite.

Then your next step will be to play with the 3 options you have on the LE right where the Leading Edge curves up. This makes the kite go more at the edge of the window or lower. (this option is only good for the 10 LTD).

I hope this helps.

addicted~2it
Medium Poster
Gear: SS Rev
Underground Boards
Myctic Warrior
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby addicted~2it » Wed May 05, 2010 6:41 am

I flew a Screamer last week & let me tell you, anyone that think's this kite is good, is an a**hole.
That bar is a real peice of shit. But thats pretty harsh, if you wear a helmet when you ride you'll probably love it.
Sorry Dimitri, your gear has got a long way to go. Unclutter that bar for starters.

grantman54
Very Frequent Poster

Postby grantman54 » Wed May 05, 2010 7:13 am

The best way to set up this kite is to put the flying lines on the 1st knot closest to the Mickey Mouse ears on the bar just above the Depower Strap.
This will be better for unhooking the kite.
Sounds like I have accomplished a similar tune up on my 9m with a slightly different method.

WELL
addicted~2it
You just called me a harsh name. Your response is very immature and holds no credibility. Especially with statements like this.
if you wear a helmet when you ride you'll probably love it
BTW Youri Zoon wears a helmet during some moves in his latest video. Ive seen Hadlow wear a helmet too.

I don't know why my review is getting attention from the worst posters on here. However, judging by the amount of Screamer posts on kiteforum, I know both of you are outnumbered. :) :) I have done plenty of reviews on other far less worthy kites and no one else left such trashy comments. Please guys, refrain from attacking my review, others, and a company. Rather lets discuss likes/dislikes, differences, and improvements

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Wed May 05, 2010 12:06 pm

It is ok "addicted~2it", I totally understand were you are coming from. These kites were made for man with big balls. :allbegood:. No body is perfect.

kitenb
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kitenb » Wed May 05, 2010 4:33 pm

I personaly like the fact that when you push the bar all the way out, you still have a little power in the kite. Coming from a C-kite background, that is what I am used to...and when I miss a handle pass, it still gives me a few seconds to recover. So, to each their own.... But, I think for those who like C-kites, then you probably also like some power left in your kite and not the 100% depower feature... so, a little confused with pdkites comments, if he likes C kites...
Anyway, everyone has their preference. I flew a bunch of 2010 kites this year, and ended up going with a mixed quiver of Screamers and Renegades. For me, the best kites I have flown....

grantman54
Very Frequent Poster

Postby grantman54 » Wed May 05, 2010 5:14 pm

I personaly like the fact that when you push the bar all the way out, you still have a little power in the kite. Coming from a C-kite background, that is what I am used to...and when I miss a handle pass, it still gives me a few seconds to recover. So, to each their own.... But, I think for those who like C-kites, then you probably also like some power left in your kite and not the 100% depower feature... so, a little confused with pdkites comments, if he likes C kites...
Anyway, everyone has their preference. I flew a bunch of 2010 kites this year, and ended up going with a mixed quiver of Screamers and Renegades. For me, the best kites I have flown....
Totally agree! I came from kites with 200% depower on my old kites if you let the bar out. Seriously the kite would just drop out of the air if you let go of the bar. That is not a good thing! It got frustrating constantly having to play with the stopper ball.
I actually really enjoy having a little power once you release the bar on my new Screamers. But for those that want more depower, they can shorten up the center lines and walla! You have really good depower when you sheet out.
I also flew a ton of 2010 kites and the Screamer also convinced me to purchase a new quiver

Return to “Reviews”