2010 Best Kahoona V2

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
grantman54
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2010 Best Kahoona V2

Postby grantman54 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:34 pm

Well I just finished trying out 6 new kites after the Pismo Beach Kite Expo. For the sake of time, I am only going to review the aspects that stood out to me on each kite. I am going to review the 2010 Liquid Force Envy, 210 Liquid Force Havoc, 2010 Best Kahoona, and 2010 Caution Zombie.
Kiter Background:
Well I currently own two 2009 Liquid Force Sessions; 12m and 9m. I am only 20 and have been kiting for 3ish years. But I really started riding this last season. I weigh 175lbs and ride a Liquid Force 133 Recoil mostly but have a 145 WLF too. I am really working on progressive riding right now; working on my airs and technical skills such as riding toeside and waveriding. Every day I am landing a new trick or catching a bigger wave.
Conditions tested in:
The wind I tested the 2010 9.5 Kahoona in was about 20mph onshore. The water was a little rough. Swells up to head high and ocassionally, what I call cross waves (waves going perpendicular to the beach). But of course we also could ride in the little whitewash close to shore. I spent about 45mins on the Kahoona.
Performance:
-Stability. This is the most stable kite I have flown. It was happy anywhere in the wind window.
-Handling. No surprises here. The kite ended up where you wanted it too and was very predictable.
-Bar Pressure. The bar pressure felt good for a lighter bar pressure. It still had enough for you to know where it was in the air.
-Bar quality. I really liked the thinness of the center line(s) on the bar. I really like the finger bumps/grip. I really liked the materials used.
Complaints:
-The Redline bar. I know Best makes their regular Best bar so in fairness that is the typical bar. But I just could not understand what was going on with that strap depower thingy on the redline bar. Maybe I was doing something wrong.
This is a small complaint that I noticed. I am sure if I spent more time on the kite I might find this complaint false/unfair.
Who is this kite for:
This kite is for any rider that wants an good kite all around. No complaints on this kite. There are no sacrifices on this kite. This kite performs fine in all areas. This kite would be great for beginners, riders looking to progress, and intermediate riders that want a kite that is consistent performs good in all areas.

Thanks to Kinsley from http://xtremebigair.com/ for the demo. If you are around the central coast come check out the kite for yourself and see what the new Kahoona V2 can do for you!
Attachments
Picture 4.png
Picture 4.png (85.44 KiB) Viewed 4754 times

Juwanna Kite
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2010 Best Kahoona V2

Postby Juwanna Kite » Thu May 06, 2010 2:32 pm

I've been demoing kites at the South Padre Island Kite Roundup. I've tried 7.5, 9.5, & 11.5 Kahoona v2, flying them back to back against other kites. I love the depower ability, the drift, the ability to overrun the kite without ill effect, the speed of turns, and the ease of relaunch. What I don't like is that the bar pressure is higher than the other kites I've demo'ed. And I seem to have sheet in/out a lot more than other kites.

I seem to be the only one that is commenting about the bar presssure and sheeting in/out (which may be due to the higher bar pressure).

Rorke
Frequent Poster

Postby Rorke » Thu May 06, 2010 2:58 pm

Juwanna,
What is your weight?
What have you tried that is most similar, but with lighter bar pressure?
PM please if you don't want to hijack.
I wish I could have headed down there this year!!!
Rorke

Juwanna Kite
Medium Poster

Postby Juwanna Kite » Thu May 06, 2010 4:45 pm

Rorke wrote:Juwanna,
What is your weight?
What have you tried that is most similar, but with lighter bar pressure?
PM please if you don't want to hijack.
I wish I could have headed down there this year!!!
Rorke
I weigh 175lbs.

Kites I've tried so far besides the Kahoona's are Slingshot RPM, GK Trix, Ozone Catalyst and C4.

They all have about the same bar pressure as my 07 & 08 Waroos with the exception of the GK Trix. You can adjust the bar pressure with settings on the kite. With it set at the lightest, it is the lightest bar pressure on a LEI that I've ever experienced. (I've experienced lighter on a flysurfer Pulse 2 but's that another story).

And none of the other kites re-launch as easily or drift as well as the Kahoona v2. But they all seem to handle gusty conditions with less sheeting action than the Kahoona v2.

I've still got the Waineman (sp?) and RRD Obsession kites to try.

In some ways it's nice to have so many kites to try but at the same time you have to be careful about how many you try before writing down impressions as the memory tends to get muddled. And you want to be flying kites back to back in as close a wind conditions as possible so you are really comparing apples to apples.

grantman54
Very Frequent Poster

Postby grantman54 » Thu May 06, 2010 6:21 pm

And none of the other kites re-launch as easily or drift as well as the Kahoona v2. But they all seem to handle gusty conditions with less sheeting action than the Kahoona v2.

what do you mean by drift? if it is what I think you are talking about it is one of the reasons I would not buy a kahoona.
Honestly this is a decent kite all around... just very unexciting. It is probably the most boring kite I have flown, but that is because it is good in all areas and isnt great at anything. In other words, no sacrifices just an all around cruzin kite.

Juwanna Kite
Medium Poster

Postby Juwanna Kite » Thu May 06, 2010 6:41 pm

I'm specifically looking for a Surf kite. In that regards, you frequently are going directly at the kite, creating slack in the lines. The kite needs to do two things under these conditions, drift well back into the wind window (doesn't hindenberg) and still turns on slack lines. Kahoona acquits itself well on both accounts.

I'm not sure I would pick the Kahoona as an all around kite as there are more cruizing appropriate kites out there. In particular the Bularoos seem to have continued the cruizing traditions of the pre 2010 Waroos.

grantman54
Very Frequent Poster

Postby grantman54 » Thu May 06, 2010 6:45 pm

I'm specifically looking for a Surf kite. In that regards, you frequently are going directly at the kite, creating slack in the lines. The kite needs to do two things under these conditions, drift well back into the wind window (doesn't hindenberg) and still turns on slack lines. Kahoona acquits itself well on both accounts.
oh ok. Agreed this kite "drifts" well and is good at it. I was thinking of something else (pivoty motion lacking power)

Return to “Reviews”