Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Does a stiffer board really pop that much better?!?

Forum for kitesurfers
bavdrftr318
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Does a stiffer board really pop that much better?!?

Postby bavdrftr318 » Fri May 07, 2010 1:51 am

I ride a Nobile 555 and I feel like it has ALOT of flex for a board. Also the stance is narrow. Does the stiffness of a board really affect pop that much?

What are the things do look for when looking for a board to do powered tricks with?

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: Does a stiffer board really pop that much better?!?

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri May 07, 2010 2:25 am

wet noodle stiffness is useless for pop

JumpinJoe
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ft Myers Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ft myers Beach - Lanark St
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Kites- Flexifoil Hadlow Pro - Fuel
Board- Aggression - RRD
Mystic
Brand Affiliation: Getkiteboarding.com

Postby JumpinJoe » Fri May 07, 2010 3:07 am

YES!!! Now this is just my opinion. I do ride a stiff board because of this reason, I have had some of these new wood core boards but I think they suck!

I started a thread a while back asking if anyone knew where you could get a foam core board and no one had an answer. All we got left are these wood core boards.

I am forced to have to purchase a pricy hand made foam core board because everyone switched over to building the wood core boards super cheap.

Foam was 4 times the price, yup it always comes down to $$$$. There are a few down sides to a foam core board but its the best riding board out there.

If you want to know where to get a foam core board PM me I don't want to post it on the forum.

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gbleck » Fri May 07, 2010 5:25 am

Errr yea for a foam core board your options are going to be limited. Come to think of it only brokite comes to mind. Oh and agression but don't know much about them.

adamrod
Frequent Poster

Postby adamrod » Fri May 07, 2010 5:52 am

I know that at least half the 2010 line of lf boards are foam core....the recoil is for sure. And the rest use wood stringers

Bain
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Bain » Fri May 07, 2010 12:53 pm

JumpinJoe wrote: If you want to know where to get a foam core board PM me I don't want to post it on the forum.
It's not like its a secret or anything. dcboardz.com or rougewave are two of the best in North America, imo.

I have a DC and absolutly love it. His boards have very little flex, just a small amount in the tips.
If you push on it with your hand, you really cant notice any flex in the board. It does not ride stiff though, sooooo buttery smooth. In chop and waves too.
It's all about the proper rocker line and outline.

alib987
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Rest Bay
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby alib987 » Fri May 07, 2010 1:32 pm

Good question.

I am looking for a new board. snapped my 07 thorn. Looking for a good freestyle/wakestyle board and have narrowed it down to the Brunotti Youri Zoon Pro, Nobile 666 3d, and Naish Momentum.

All i think have similar outlines and sizes, wide tips and rockers, (132*41 to134*42)

The Naish momentum is the more flexi i think and i am wondering if this will decrease pop?

Obviously for that past few years its been stiff board = big pop, but with more flexi freestyle/wakestyle boards coming out in 2010 like the LF Kaos is this oppinion changing?

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Fri May 07, 2010 3:49 pm

Yeah, as mentioned the new Aggression kiteboards are sweet. Foam core, wider tips, stiff tips, loads of pop. If his webpage is down, check out his facebook page (simple search, gents) and see recent pictures. Saw him last week and he had finished up a lot of inventory that is sitting in the boxes ready to ship! Get on it...

(not that I agree with the wood core bashing. SS makes some sweet wood board like the lunacy and misfit which are wooden, stiff with loads of pop)

The111
Medium Poster

Postby The111 » Fri May 07, 2010 6:32 pm

As a new kitesurfer (just did my first jumps last night) I am interested in the explanation of what "pop" is and how it affects a jump to begin with.

My understanding is that you build tension in the lines before unloading it to jump. This tension is maintained through your rail (which is really "beam-loaded"... a cantilever probably no more than 6-8 inches off of your heels). Whether the rail is stiff or flexible... in both cases when you load it highly it will reach a stiff state. Like a person standing still on the end of a flexible diving board vs a stiff one. The flexible diving board will bend more... but in the end it will still carry the same load, just in a curved shape rather than a straight shape.

Now, in theory I could see how thinking a flexible rail would have some spring load which assists your boost, as you unload both your rail and your lines at the same time. But realistically, we're talking again about a "6 inch diving board." Which probably would give far, far less boost than say, the coil force you hold in your own quad muscles. Real diving boards are very long, for a reason.

So, my wild ass guess as a totally noob kiter, is that as long as the rail is stiff enough to hold a good edge prior to the jump, it really doesn't matter just exactly how stiff it is... I think probably 99% of your boost comes from the kite/lines and your own legs. But, I'll happily accept any explanation as to why I am wrong. :D

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Fri May 07, 2010 9:34 pm

The111 wrote:As a new kitesurfer (just did my first jumps last night) I am interested in the explanation of what "pop" is and how it affects a jump to begin with..... as long as the rail is stiff enough to hold a good edge prior to the jump, it really doesn't matter just exactly how stiff it is... I think probably 99% of your boost comes from the kite/lines and your own legs. But, I'll happily accept any explanation as to why I am wrong. :D
You lost my attention in your scientific diving analogies, but think of it this way...
Some jumps are just achieved by sending the kite correctly. You don't even need to be on a board to go up. You can do it running on land.
Some jumps are achieved by keeping the kite parked and popping off the water. Loading up your edge, not doing anything with the kite. Think of a snowboard jump/pop when you aren't hitting a feature, but are just moving along and can pop off the flat.
Some jumps combine both and you go huge.

Flexible boards are nice to ride in chop. It is like cruising with a pair of Nike Air running shoes. They absorb all the crud so you get a nice easy ride. However, when you jump, some of the energy that you load into the tips of the board is going to be lost in the board flex. A stiff board will transfer the most energy from its press against the water's surface to your big air release.

There's a lot more science to it than that and you want some combination of flex and stiffness so you can load up the board but also ride comfortable.

Maybe that helps? Maybe not. It is also very possible I'm talking out my ass... :butt2: Have fun and welcome to the stoke! :bye:

Return to “Kitesurfing”