Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Epic Screamer Full Review, Videos, Pics, & Discussion

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
Hugoloco
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lac-St-Jean, Québec, Trois-Rivières.
Style: Airtime
Gear: Ozone
Zeeko
RSC
Ion
Brand Affiliation: Complicated
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Epic Screamer Full Review, Videos, Pics, & Discussion

Postby Hugoloco » Sun May 09, 2010 3:59 am

forgot to say: of course, anybody that feels like giving an opinion on those 3 kites is welcome.
Last edited by Hugoloco on Sun May 09, 2010 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

grantman54
Very Frequent Poster

Postby grantman54 » Sun May 09, 2010 4:26 am

Hugo. I would recommend the Renegade for you. The Screamer has a drastic performance feel to it. Trust me, its a fun and exciting kite but definitely feels different than most kites on the market. The Renegade feels like a better delta-ish kite. It does not lack in any areas and is a well rounded kite that beats out similar kites in all areas. If you like your waroo's and aren't ready for a crazy powerful kite get the Renegade. You won't be disappointed.

Geronimo79
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Epic Kites and Arise and Hyperflex
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites and Arise

Postby Geronimo79 » Sun May 09, 2010 11:53 am

Comming From Waroo's myself and i went for the screamers. It took me a couple of session to adjust. The riding itself is really much alike, feels very smooth but with a much more powered feeling to it. But the jumping took me a while to get adjusted too. The timing is different since you dont really need timing with the waroo, you steer it back you'll jump.
The screamer you need to actually pop and then you'll get awesome results.

The renegade is a lot like a delta, some of the tester i had over here compared it too Evo2/bandit2 kites. Since they are so popular i dont see this as an insult. But the kite definitly has some other characteristics too. Its a fun kite to ride. But i noticed last weekend that i definitly enjoy the screamer a lot more. Even in overpowered conditions that kite feels really good. and due the nice barpressure it stays good to control.

And yes Grantman, Powerlines are the center lines. the others are the steering lines.

Hugoloco
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lac-St-Jean, Québec, Trois-Rivières.
Style: Airtime
Gear: Ozone
Zeeko
RSC
Ion
Brand Affiliation: Complicated

Postby Hugoloco » Sun May 09, 2010 12:32 pm

Thanks guys.

I feel like making a few precisions :
My wind conditions are almost always gusty. Rarely nice steady wind up here. So I would prefere a kite that swallow the gusts better. According to what I have read here & around, Renegade seems to be ahead on this point. Right?

In fact, could I suggest that Renegade would be closer to a Kahoona then a Waroo?

And finaly, Screamer seems to have common points with my 2010 Waroo (wich is NOT the same kite it used to be: lot more powerfull and less easy to fly).

Sorry for comparing again and again...
Obviously, (like always) the best answer is to try those kite and feel them by myself!

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Sun May 09, 2010 12:59 pm

Hello "Hugoloco"
Just read your post concerning which kite to get. I think the best thing to do will be for you to test them. Can you email me so I can find a dealer or a rep near you so they can help you demoing the kites. This will make your decision much easier.
But from my understanding the RENEGADE might me your choice of kite. (these are some action picture of the Renegade 9 in 14 to 16 knots of wind)
Attachments
EpicAruba1©GustavSchmiege075.jpg
EpicAruba1©GustavSchmiege075.jpg (62.31 KiB) Viewed 1556 times
EpicAruba1©GustavSchmiege047.jpg
EpicAruba1©GustavSchmiege047.jpg (80.59 KiB) Viewed 1556 times

Soleas
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: BIG AIR
Gear: Epic Screamer, Flysurfer Soul
Brand Affiliation: Epickites Cyprus Rep/Rider, Kiteflex team rider

Postby Soleas » Sun May 09, 2010 2:08 pm

Hugoloco,

The Renegade is the model that's similar with the Delta's.
You should try both you never know, you might prefer the Screamer.

Then again who knows, you might not like either. I doubt it though :D

Try first and let us know what you think.

Beaatch
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Beaatch » Mon May 10, 2010 7:40 pm

I got to fly the Screamer 9 down in Hatteras in some pretty strong winds. Without a doubt, this kite is a bitch - in a positive sense! Def an adrenaline booster - it boosts HUGE air (bigger than any kite I've been on ever) and gives you a sense of "don't mess with me". As some folks said here - it's a kite for big balls, super fun ride. I megalooped it a few times (which took me a lot of guts), very nice loops and nice recovery. I think some folks down there videotaped some of it, I'll post it here once I have it.

Flew the Renegade 9, too, great kite for beginners and wave enthusiasts, very relaxed and easy ride.

djlepper
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby djlepper » Mon May 10, 2010 11:17 pm

I posted this in the main thread but feel like I should post my thoughts on the Screamer here too:)

I'm not affiliated with EPIC Kites and actually am a rep for one of the kiteboard manufactures. I'm 245-250lbs and live in LA area so not the place with strong winds (even though last couple of weeks have been pretty strong:)
I usually rode Waroo 17 and Bularoo 13, for couple of years, and this year I started to look for new kites, as there have been a lot of changes in design and performance.

Last couple of months I test rode any 2010 kite I could get my hands on... Slingshot Octanes, F-One Bandits, EH EZE, Best (Kahoona, Waroo, Bularoo),Wainman Rabbits, RRD Obession...and few other brands, so I can have an idea how each kite rides, before I drop at least $1500 on a brand new kite/bar.

Couple weeks ago I got demo kites (SCREAMER 14 and RENEGADE 11) from Dale (west coast Epic rep). I was a little skeptical about riding 14 in our SoCal conditions, even though when I talked with Dimitri @ Pismo KiteXpo he assured me that 14 should be more than enough:)

First time I tried it the wind was kind of light (avg 15-16mph) and I pumped my 17 just in case. Totally unnecessary. 14 had plenty of pull for my weight on a "small" 135x41 twintip. Staying upwind no problem and some decent jumps:)

The thing that I totally fell in love from the first tack was how it handled. The feedback on the bar is direct and the kite is very responsive. The kite is always exactly where you expect it to be, an it flies a little forward in the window so you always kind of see it in the corner of your eye. This kite is the easiest kite to fly one handed that I tried.. When I'm just cruising I hardly ever have both hands on the bar. This was the only kite so far that I didn't have to get used to at all, it felt perfect right from the beginning.

Few of my kite friends also tried the kites and all had very positive comments:)

I had a chance to ride the 14 again last weekend. This time wind was 20-22 avg, and I must say that Screamer cuts upwind so well that in two tacks I ended up 200 yards upwind of everyone and my launch point . Also I've never ridden as fast on any kite as I did that day.... I mean if I was racing this kite would definitely be my choice.
It took me couple of tweaks of settings to get it dialed in with this kind of wind (mainly so I wasn't too overpowered), but after that it felt just perfect.

All pretty much has been said about this kite earlier so I'm not going to repeat the build quality, how it jumps etc etc...

This may not be a kite for everyone , but anyone who's in the market for new kites, should def. check it out, just to see if it works for them. I know it works for me, that's why I have one in the mail right now:)

grantman54
Very Frequent Poster

Postby grantman54 » Mon May 10, 2010 11:50 pm

thanks djlepper for your input. I am hoping more Screamer owners will post their experience on here so there is a compilation of all the reviews out there. I know there are a ton because so many people are excited about this kite.

Where exactly are you kiting? (im from Pismo) :)

suave1
Rare Poster
Local Beach: lac des deux montagne (quebec)CANADA
Style: race
Gear: épic,cabrina,flysurfer,fone,best,éclispe,concept air,
Brand Affiliation: épic

Postby suave1 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:09 am

I wrinkle kites Épic screamer since this winter, me like them for sault the speed it are of kite of man.

Last week I was in Course hattéras and I had a problem with my 10m to screamer ltd my blader was drilled, a private message has my supplier and the next day Dimitri came to see myself has kite beach to send me a new to blader which I changed the course to continue has to take advantage of my holidays, Dimitri not my not the aisser hang he(it) it is occupied by me as a pro, it offers a very good after-sales service

Excused for grammatical mistakes in English me am french. Eric

Return to “Reviews”