Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

A Twintip that can keep up with Directionals

Postby Toby » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:15 am

Eddy Lansing tested a new twintip setup for the first time during the PKRA Germany worldcup.

Overall he scored 5th.

I hope they can tune the board more and make it even better, since this would get more people into racing!
Attachments
Eddy 1.jpg
Eddy 1.jpg (119.29 KiB) Viewed 5516 times

poldo
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: A Twintip that can keep up with Directionals

Postby poldo » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:25 am

Not beatiful at all but very interesting as completely different design and riding style. I wonder how the unusual fins setup work and feel in riding... :roll:

Europ2
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Europ2 » Tue May 11, 2010 1:38 pm

That picture is nearly 10 month old.
Any update ? Any news about a production board ?

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby stefaans » Tue May 11, 2010 3:39 pm

The answer is obviouson this one I would say!

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Tue May 11, 2010 5:10 pm

Yes the answer is obvious:

We are working on it and there will be a Race twin tip in the near Furture.

Armin got 2nd Place after me on a prototype Racedoor in Dahme.

--
Gunnar

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby stefaans » Tue May 11, 2010 5:16 pm

HA, no kidding huh I was actually expecting that board to be in the dumpster since they made so many improvements on the raceboards and fins over the last 10 months. would be cool to see what you guys came up with we haven't seeen a twintip race in any events in the last year. you guys have any pics or keeping it secret? i know some guys here would actually prefer to race on twintips if they were competative at all.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Tue May 11, 2010 7:46 pm

Im sure there are others out there too, but I will let you look for them.

There are certain advantages that may even give Twin Tip Raceboards the advantage in the Future.

The easy ones are:

1) No Tacking = saves time and less chance for mistakes

2) One Fin has less resistance = More speed

3) Travelling. You can take more different boards for different conditions with different Rockers etc. Traveling with the directional boards is a pain in the a$$.

4) As an entry level Race Board these boards are great as they are easier to use than current 2010 Production Directionals and kicks their butts performance wise.

--
Gunnar

MKM
Frequent Poster
Gear: tons...
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha & Dakine

Postby MKM » Tue May 11, 2010 8:28 pm

hmmm... I wouldn't be too quick on that assumption. In looking at the other two race boards on the podium, I notice that one is very old style and I'm not too sure about the other one. Also not sure as to which fins they are running. What racers were at the event? It's just that boards very similar to yours were in SF several years ago and they were not on par with the course boards back then either. Additionally, if a foil guy placed on the top 2, I'd question either the level of competition at the event and/or the type of courses being run.

I hope what you are saying is true, but I'd sure like to see it run against Bruno, Damo, or Adam as these are the only 3 guys that seem to have it together at all. Keep in mind that Bruno won every race at the last world cup by huge margins and was only able to get 3rd at the worlds by winning 2 races out of 10.

Call me insane, but I sincerely doubt that this particular twin tip is remotely competitive against the new Aguera boards. I'd suspect that the race boards will gain 3-4 degrees upwind, ride 3-4 degrees lower down wind, and ride at the same speed or faster than the twin. Tacking really isn't a consideration for a raced board if you know how to do them and can ride a race board. The only advantage of a twin would be jibing off the wind. I'm sure that this would be faster than current quads. This really wouldn't matter too much given that you would do a maximum of 3 jibes down wind and more often than not only a singe one.

Fire away!

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Tue May 11, 2010 9:28 pm

I hope what you are saying is true, but I'd sure like to see it run against Bruno, Damo, or Adam as these are the only 3 guys that seem to have it together at all.
Well MKM : I never said that it would beat the Best of the Best, but it's better than any of the current 2010 Production Boards available at the moment.
Call me insane, but I sincerely doubt that this particular twin tip is remotely competitive against the new Aguera boards. I'd suspect that the race boards will gain 3-4 degrees upwind, ride 3-4 degrees lower down wind, and ride at the same speed or faster than the twin
As I said: In the Future there may be potential. You just have to try and see where things lead you. It may work, it may not, but one thing is sure: This board is the easiest Competitive Raceboard to ride at the moment. A board like this could get more people interested in Racing. It may not have the performance of Adams, Damos and Bunos boards, but whose does? Especially not the guy with the Aguera Board at the Europeans last weekend who got his butt kicked. A lot of racing performance still comes down to the rider.
Tacking really isn't a consideration for a raced board if you know how to do them and can ride a race board. The only advantage of a twin would be jibing off the wind. I'm sure that this would be faster than current quads..
Yes, but there are so many people that want to Race and can't tack a directional Raceboard.

And the twin tip is not Mine. I'm the guy who came 1st. I still ride a directional as I prefer that style and I want to develop my own ideas rather than have everything done for me.
Additionally, if a foil guy placed on the top 2, I'd question either the level of competition at the event and/or the type of courses being run.
The Level of the German Tour may not be that high yet, but luckily there are people like me and armin whose goal is to get more people involved and get the level of racing up here in Germany. What we don't need it people like you "pissing" on anything that is remotely different and making hurtful statements.

The Course was a standard Triangle.

If we want more people to race we need startup equipment. The goal of the TT Raceboard is to get people involved.

I thought you would be more openminded and interested in grass roots racing as you obviously have vested interest with Cabrinha and Aguera.

--
Gunnar

MKM
Frequent Poster
Gear: tons...
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha & Dakine

Postby MKM » Tue May 11, 2010 11:02 pm

Whoa there cowboy. No disrespect intended. I just wouldn't think it fair for people to run out expecting that this style of board would be competitive as your post implied. Conversely, I like the idea of this style of board and can even see room for another class of racing evolving with it.

Keep up the good work and hopefully it will continue to get better and better. I even think that the twin tip in slalom racing may be very good. You will still need good pointing performance for passing, but the turning would be far better on the twin. There's room for all types in this sport and we are just in the beginning of evolution.

Sorry for the mis-understanding. Have a good one.

Kent

Return to “Kitesurfing”