Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The best kite for me in 2010: an hard choice ?

Forum for kitesurfers
flysurfing
Frequent Poster
Gear: Depends the mood
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: The best kite for me in 2010: an hard choice ?

Postby flysurfing » Tue May 11, 2010 5:34 am

TheJoe wrote:
flysurfing wrote:
TheJoe wrote:You should look for a delta shape in the 12m range. I ride Wainman Boss but any delta should do the trick. I would look for something that lets you adjust the bar pressure and turning speed like the Wainmans, GK's, RPM's, not sure on the Epics didn't check them out when I was doing demos last week. Just find a place where you can demo the kites before you buy.
What to think of the new Naish Torch 2010 in 12M ?

On their website, i cannot find any information about the windrange.

As well i have hear the octopus system can be a big problem if the bladder got damaged ?

cheers
C kite. I wanted try it last week but once you ride a fuel there is no other. For the wind range you want I doubt a C kite will do the trick.
Hello,

I think u are right that the windrange of the C kite is quiet bad....
However, i am afraid to loose in performance with a flat kite like the helix, or rebel...

What do you think ?

atkite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Orewa,Shakespear park New Zealand
Favorite Beaches: Orewa,shakespear park. New Zealand
Style: All above
Gear: 2010 rpm's, Influence grind 138 with boots
Been thanked: 0

Postby atkite » Tue May 11, 2010 6:13 am

With your 1 kite quiver do you have 1 board only?

I ride 10m rpm from 15knots-25knots great for jumping with hooked and unhooked.
Bar press you can change

Good lucky in finding your new toy.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue May 11, 2010 6:29 am

Well, with 67kg and wanting a one-kite quiver, I think the Evo is a no-go :o

It got HEAPS of low end (and an awesome kite if heavier or having many kites), but not for you at all IMHO.

Dont know the other new North kites that much, as I am mostly into waveriding (and racing) - but there must be some that fits :thumb:

Of the kites I know inside out, you could also choose a Takoon Chrono 10m2 - a serious jumping machine 8)
But maybe a bit too powerful for you, I dont know...

The thing is, that with 67kg you need a kite with less low end and more range, as simple as that :D
(And low end and range are NOT getting along on a good kite :o )

So an SLE and not too low AR (not a typical Delta), so you got a kite with good allround qualities and depower - and a kite that fly fast for even more range and jumping, would be my recommendation for 67kg and your one-quiver desire on mostly flat water !

Happy hunting - you got loads of options, so a hard choice indeed, as more than half of all kites could be your choice I think :wink:

:thumb: Peter

magnus_norway
Medium Poster
Gear: Slingshot RPM 10
Cabrinha XBow 7
Cabrinha Switchblade 12
Slingshot Lunacy 129

Postby magnus_norway » Tue May 11, 2010 8:04 am

flysurfing wrote: I think u are right that the windrange of the C kite is quiet bad....
However, i am afraid to loose in performance with a flat kite like the helix, or rebel...

What do you think ?
Yes, it is a hard choice, but I also think you're making it even harder by on the one side saying that you ride a Vegas and like the C-kite feeling and on the other side want a one kite quiver.

I guess you have three choices:
- Go for 2-3 C-kites as that is what you like, and don't worry about the one kite quiver demand (if that even is a choice, economically).
- Go for a single C-kite, and live with the fact that you'll not always be in its sweet spot, or even that you can kite in all wind conditions
- Go for a single hybrid kite with more depower and range, but where you'll lack some of that C-kite feeling

For the hybrid kite, I would also say that there are kites out there that are closer (closer, not exactly the same, don't get me wrong) to the C-kite feeling than some other kites out there. Which kites we are talking about is up for debate all the time, and I guess you know what I'm talking about...

flysurfing
Frequent Poster

Postby flysurfing » Wed May 12, 2010 3:21 am

magnus_norway wrote:
flysurfing wrote: I think u are right that the windrange of the C kite is quiet bad....

What do you think ?
Yes, it is a hard choice, but I also think you're making it even harder by on the one side saying that you ride a Vegas and like the C-kite feeling and on the other side want a one kite quiver.

I guess you have three choices:
- Go for 2-3 C-kites as that is what you like, and don't worry about the one kite quiver demand (if that even is a choice, economically).
- Go for a single C-kite, and live with the fact that you'll not always be in its sweet spot, or even that you can kite in all wind conditions
- Go for a single hybrid kite with more depower and range, but where you'll lack some of that C-kite feeling

For the hybrid kite, I would also say that there are kites out there that are closer (closer, not exactly the same, don't get me wrong) to the C-kite feeling than some other kites out there. Which kites we are talking about is up for debate all the time, and I guess you know what I'm talking about...
Dear All,

I understand that i need to make some concession in order to get a good wind range.

Have u ever tried the Naish Elix kite is it a kite to go for ?

Thanks,

j1finnn1
Frequent Poster

Postby j1finnn1 » Wed May 12, 2010 4:15 am

Try an obsession 10.5, it's a great 1 kite quiver.

magnus_norway
Medium Poster
Gear: Slingshot RPM 10
Cabrinha XBow 7
Cabrinha Switchblade 12
Slingshot Lunacy 129

Postby magnus_norway » Wed May 12, 2010 7:56 am

flysurfing wrote: Dear All,

I understand that i need to make some concession in order to get a good wind range.

Thanks,
Hi, okay so then you're willing to go for more of a hybrid kite, I reckon?

For the Helix, it seems that both for 2009 and even more so for 2010, its shape has changed to resemble more the shape of a C-kite. Here's a thread with some arguing about how the Helix behaves: viewtopic.php?t=2364328&p=650604

Furthermore, I would say test some kites to find a kite with the feeling you're looking for. But in order to narrow your search a bit, I would like to mention a few kites that I personally believe can "bridge the gap between SLE and C" as it is named so nicely :D

I would start with testing these:

- SS RPM
- Naish Helix ('09-'10)
- Ozone C4
- LF HiFi Comp
- Wainman

Propably a lot more kites out there that would fit, but these where the ones that came to mind. Most of these also have options to adjust bar pressure.

flysurfing
Frequent Poster

Postby flysurfing » Wed May 12, 2010 8:24 am

magnus_norway wrote:
flysurfing wrote: Dear All,

Thanks,
Hi, okay so then you're willing to go for more of a hybrid kite, I reckon?

For the Helix, it seems that both for 2009 and even more so for 2010, its shape has changed to resemble more the shape of a C-kite. Here's a thread with some arguing about how the Helix behaves: viewtopic.php?t=2364328&p=650604

Furthermore, I would say test some kites to find a kite with the feeling you're looking for. But in order to narrow your search a bit, I would like to mention a few kites that I personally believe can "bridge the gap between SLE and C" as it is named so nicely :D

I would start with testing these:

- SS RPM
- Naish Helix ('09-'10)
- Ozone C4
- LF HiFi Comp
- Wainman

Propably a lot more kites out there that would fit, but these where the ones that came to mind. Most of these also have options to adjust bar pressure.
Hi thanks for your input.

Seems according to the others guys that the Helix is very light in the bar ?

It could be nice for strong wind but i am not quiet sure what it will give in low wind conditions ?

Cheers !

Fly

Wisha
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Whyalla, Henley
Gear: CORE

Postby Wisha » Wed May 12, 2010 8:51 am

Core 9m GT

I'm 85kg.

I have ridden it when 13m Bandits and Switchblades are at their low limit sub 12knots

I have ridden it in 32knots and felt quite comfortable.

Just amazing

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed May 12, 2010 9:58 am

flysurfing wrote:
What to think of the new Naish Torch 2010 in 12M ?

On their website, i cannot find any information about the windrange.

As well i have hear the octopus system can be a big problem if the bladder got damaged ?

cheers
Torch is a nice kite. It has good windrange, but not as good as the cult. You might get away with a 10.5 cult or Helix. If the wind is mostly in the 12 knots then yes a 12 might be the ticket, but if it is a little higher then 10.5....

If jumping is more important, I would recommend the 2010 Helix...my all time favorite kite. Really powerful. The lightest bar setting is a little too light for me, but it is adjustable...I use the lightest bar pressure setting only in light winds...and sometimes if in onshore conditions.. :-)

I've never had problems with my octopus system.

Return to “Kitesurfing”