North select
Slingshot celeritas
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Soma bay, Egypt: Intercontinental & Sheraton question

Postby superpedro » Sun May 23, 2010 5:04 pm

Hi,

I've managed to convinced my non-kitting wife to go for a week holiday in Egypt but the condition is that i have to kite in front of a 5 start hotel. We've stayed before in Movenpick at el Gouna and she loved it but they are doing some building renovations and she doesn't want to go there!!!..

I think i have narrowed down to the intercontinental in Abu Soma or the Sheraton in Soma bay.

So i know that there is a kitesurfing center (surf motion) very near to the Intercontinental in Abu Soma but does anyone know if is possible to kite infront of the hotel?

i've found some info about the sheraton hotel that all the buildings create a lot of wind shadows... is there a kitesurf center nearby?

Thanks

Pedro

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Soma bay, Egypt: Intercontinental & Sheraton question

Postby Toby » Sun May 23, 2010 9:15 pm

Hi Pedro,

I know all places personally, have just been to Soma Bay and currently staying at Moevenpick...

Moevenpick: the new rooms are beautiful! I don't hear any constructions nor does it influence any of my daily life. The spot is not as good as Mangrovy Beach or Soma Bay

Sheraton: if you are experienced, you can kite to the right of the hotel...offshore wind, a bit gusty, but you should be alone and have a great little spot for your own...I kited there as well. But it is not the official kite spot...so you will be better off taking the free shuttle to the 7 Bft station at the top of the Soma Bay.

Interconti: good hotel, spot is good too. But I prefer the 7 Bft station, since the wind is offshore, and therefore you have flat and deep water. Interconti has a shallow lagoon...a bit too shallow to do tricks, but you can ride it. Or stay in the deeper water next to it.

I suggest: check prices for the Kempinski Hotel...close to the Sheraton. New, awesome pool area and and amazing rooms...but currently not many guests...so pretty empty.
The Robinson Club is my favorite, since it has amazing food, animation with lots of activities if you want (and if there is no wind). And very good fitness courses...your wife would love it if she is into it. It is a German club, but everyone speaks English and is friendly. You will meet interesting people of higher levels. Since it is a club, the Germans are more open, not like typical Germans ;-)

Let me know if you need any further information!

7Bft station location: http://www.kitebeaches.com/loc/soma_bay___north.html

superpedro
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Gilgo beach
Style: Crappy
Gear: Wainman kites
North select
Slingshot celeritas

Postby superpedro » Mon May 24, 2010 8:24 pm

Thanks for that Toby...

I've just need now do the last sweet taking to my other half and start packing!!!

p.

puchanix
Medium Poster

Postby puchanix » Tue May 25, 2010 12:20 am

My wife (who also kites) and I want to go to Egypt for a week this July. We are trying to figure out which is THE best place to go... Someone recommended Dakhla, but I was wondering what people on this forum thought... Looking for flat water, steady wind and a nice hotel right in front of the kiting area...

Thanks!

Ariel.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Tue May 25, 2010 7:53 am

in Soma Bay you need to take a shuttle to the station (15min). Drives every 30 min.

Interconti is a short walk.

Moevenpick or Club Med in El Gona have it in front.

Moevenpick: I am currently hearing construction noise...if you can choose, stay in Cluster (block) 1, 2. Or ocean side on 3 or 5.

I don't know Dahkla, Morocco. But it looks very nice with huge flat water area. Not sure about the infrastructure...but I assume for a non kiting wife it will not be fun...

puchanix
Medium Poster

Postby puchanix » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:56 pm

Thanks for the info. I meant to say Dahab in Egypt, not Dahkla in Morroco. Sorry.

Soma Bay looks pretty awesome. And it sounds like kiting at the 7bft station would be ideal. But I am a bit confused about whether any of the hotels are walking distance from 7bft. Is the Intercontinental walking distance from 7bft? Any other hotels walking distance? I hate to have to get into a shuttle every day...

Cheers,

A.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:21 am

no walking to 7 Bft! Just the shuttle.

But there is a station in walking distance from Interconti.

Return to “Travel”