Local Beach: St. Pete
Style: Beginner/Wake
Gear: '09 Cabrinha 12m Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Taking Cable Tricks to Kite

Postby GnarShredd » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:18 pm

I'm not a super good cable rider but can do backrolls, roll-reverts, and raleys (hopefully working on a krypt this weekend!) but I finally just picked up a decent board for kiting and really want to focus on wakestyle riding when conditions allow. With that said...

Any tips for a fairly experienced cable rider for moving cable tricks to the kite? I'm talking anything from kite position/control, edging technique, etc. I just started kiting a few months ago and can't wait to bring my wake-riding to the kite.

Thanks!

russky
Medium Poster
Gear: North vegas

Re: Taking Cable Tricks to Kite

Postby russky » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:19 pm

Just follow the progression: load & pop, hooked-in raleys & back-rolls, then go unhooked.
Don't waste time on old-school tricks :lol:

truelslone
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Trondheim, Norway

Postby truelslone » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:12 am

russky wrote:Just follow the progression: load & pop, hooked-in raleys & back-rolls, then go unhooked. (...)
If you're used to riding cable, I wouldn't waste time on learning to pop hooked neither. To be hooked in just give you a weird centre of gravity that you're not used to from the cable. On a good day I'm doing front2blinds and back2wrapped with the kite, but I still don't know how to pop properly when I'm hooked in. Good luck, you'll progress fast, being used to pop in the cable! :thumb:

GnarShredd wrote:Any tips for a fairly experienced cable rider for moving cable tricks to the kite? I'm talking anything from kite position/control, edging technique, etc. (...)
Go with speed, kite steady at 45 degrees or lower, edging and loading for a shorter period (more like a determined carve, rather than longlasting edging). Slower speed and kite at higher angles can be good for soft learning, but definitively affects the style and flow of the jump.

GnarShredd
Rare Poster
Local Beach: St. Pete
Style: Beginner/Wake
Gear: '09 Cabrinha 12m Switchblade

Postby GnarShredd » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:21 pm

Killer, thanks for the tips. I'm still getting a bit more used to riding unhooked but it feels comfortable to me because of wakeboarding (It's just a REALLY weird pull being up so high).

the wind is shit here during the summer but I'm hoping to do some travelling and get some more kite time in.

Return to “Kitesurfing”