Medium Poster
Local Beach: all around France
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Assymetrical Front fins

Postby pouch » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:02 pm

I just open a new topics to ask you the purpose of assymtrical fins ?

fins with an assymetrical profile create a lift (like an aircraft wing) furthermore , as soon as you increase lift , drag will also be increased
if you install those kind of fins on a race board ,assym. fins will create lifts that will be coumpound one to another....and resulting drag will reduce your speed and perfomance :thumb:

thanks for sharing your experience :remybussi:

Pouch

d0uglass
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fort Pierce, Florida
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 m Cabrinha Crossbow 2006, 14 and 17 m Cabrinha Contra 2008, Litewave Spirit 137, Litewave Freeride 179
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Assymetrical Front fins

Postby d0uglass » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:30 pm

All fins, whether symmetrical or asymmetrical, create both lift and drag.

But asymmetrical fins actually create more lift (because they're shaped to maximize lift in one direction) and less drag (because they're thinner and smaller). So they can help you go faster and go upwind better. That's what I've been told, anyway.

I think the only problems are, like you say, when the fins on both sides of the board are in the water, pulling in different directions and making the board feel squirrely.

pouch
Medium Poster
Local Beach: all around France
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer

Re: Assymetrical Front fins

Postby pouch » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:16 pm

Thanks!

from what I have seen front fin (assym) are usually bigger than aft fins .or at least similar
if assym fins are thinner (less drag) why don"t they reduce symetrical fin thickness ?

Return to “Kitesurfing”