Been thanked: 0

Spleene Door High Tec vs Fun Tec vs FlyDoor

Postby Tiago1973 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:25 pm

hello,
need some advise here - I´m looking for a board for the following conditions:
- rider 1,73 m; 75 kg
- kite Ion IV 12.5 m
- sea (minimum/average chop) / wind condition: around 10 to 12 knots
- freeride (some jumps, back-roll, front-roll, ie: basic tricks)
- hate to walk!

Would like some advise on the following:
- Btw all the dimensions on the Door boards, what do u think it will suit best?
(i´m afraid about going to small and..walk versus having a Viking war-ship under my foots..)
- Does the difference btw the High Tec and Fun Tec would worth the premium cost?
(not so much premium if you consider amortization over 3 to 5 year time, but there is still a Euro delta btw both options...)
- What´s the physics behind "Jet bottom tec"?
- I was curious seeing FlyDoor uses an assymetric shape.. again, anyone got an explanation about the plus/minus of such a design solution?

many thanks, tiago

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Spleene Door High Tec vs Fun Tec vs FlyDoor

Postby Tiago1973 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:38 pm

no one got anything to share???.... :-?

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:23 pm

These boards are about the best you can get for low end and build quality.

I have owned both Spleenes and Flydoors. Both have very very good build. I still have a Spleene twin tip that I lend to just about everyone. Taken all sorts of beatings for years and it still rides like new. Got to be 5 years now and getting used all year round.

One thing that I can say though is that the Asymetric shape and Asymetric Flex of the flyboards makes for a better toeside ride and better overall comfort. Your heels are very different to your toes.

Both handle the chop well for flat boards. However I found that the flyboard had an edge on the Spleene (but I have not tried the funtech model). The Flyboard's more rounded tips and concave go to work in the chop.
Last edited by FredBGG on Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hced
Rare Poster

Postby hced » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:34 pm

Haven't tried any of the two.
However I can strongly recommend Ocean Rodeo Mako King as a light wind board. I use this one together with a North X-ride for the days with more wind.
Eventhough people say the King isn't the best light wind board, I think it's brilliant since it's fun to ride even in light wind conditions it basically eats the chop, it's possible to do some jumps, works in wave and a hugh upwind performance. Perhaps most important you don't have rush to shore to change for a smaller board when it picks up, it's a great board in those conditions as well.
Bad thins about the King, only thing I found is it's foam core, that certainly makes it more fragile then a board with wood core, however as long as you are aware of it, you should be fine.

If you go for a door or any other large TT board, make sure it's asymetrical it will eas your toeside riding a lot. With the King you dont have to bother, you will have a blast.

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tiago1973 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:59 pm

hced: thanks for the heads-up on the Mako but will stick w/ the Doors for now... already hard to choose!

hello Fred,
thanks for the comment.

From what u are saying FlyDoor appear to be slightly better for the given conditions within the same quality level. Any advise on the size 155x42,5 versus 163x46 ?,,,

thanks
tiago----

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:25 am

hced wrote:Haven't tried any of the two.
However I can strongly recommend Ocean Rodeo Mako King as a light wind board. I use this one together with a North X-ride for the days with more wind.
Eventhough people say the King isn't the best light wind board, I think it's brilliant since it's fun to ride even in light wind conditions it basically eats the chop, it's possible to do some jumps, works in wave and a hugh upwind performance. Perhaps most important you don't have rush to shore to change for a smaller board when it picks up, it's a great board in those conditions as well.
Bad thins about the King, only thing I found is it's foam core, that certainly makes it more fragile then a board with wood core, however as long as you are aware of it, you should be fine.

If you go for a door or any other large TT board, make sure it's asymetrical it will eas your toeside riding a lot. With the King you dont have to bother, you will have a blast.
The Makos have a lot of intresting qualities, but light wind preformance is not their strong point.
Too much rocker.
They don't quite have the build of a Spleene or Flydoor, but Ocean Rodeo has a very good record of customer support.
True it is smooth over chop, but in light wind you won't have any monster chop.
I often ride at Zuma beach in malibu and it gets chaotic choppy... no problem with the Spleene Door or Flydoors... bit better with the Flydoors.

However if you are looking for a board with pretty good lowend and want to get into the surf but don't want to make the jump to a surfboard the mako is a sweet compromise,

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:30 am

Tiago1973 wrote:hced: thanks for the heads-up on the Mako but will stick w/ the Doors for now... already hard to choose!

hello Fred,
thanks for the comment.

From what u are saying FlyDoor appear to be slightly better for the given conditions within the same quality level. Any advise on the size 155x42,5 versus 163x46 ?,,,

thanks
tiago----
I weigh much more than you 105kg so I may be worng about the size for you, but my best guess is that the 163 would be better as your biggest kite is the 12.5 Ion. best to ask users closer to your weight.

OceanAdventures
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Leeside park - Fort Walton Beach
Gear: Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii

Postby OceanAdventures » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:55 pm

I have gotten a chance to ride the Fun Tech door 160 and the High Tech 159.

The basic differenc is the High Tech is a faster board with more flex at the tip so when the chop picks up you don't get so much spray in the eyes. The funtech is slower but because of its firmer shape it has a slightly lower bottem end on the wind. I have not gotten to ride them in anything but very light wind (9-12 mph) so i haven't tried any backrolls or anything, but my bud had it out in a decent day and got the board around on a few rotations (the high tech). The biggest difference is the footstraps which are much nicer on the high tech. The mounting screws are built into the footsrap, so there is almost no way to have a footstrap come undone unless the strap cpletely breaks, plus i found that the funtech footstraps are rather small, you could fit your foot in there but in colder weather you would have problems sliding a bootie in there.

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tiago1973 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:05 pm

thanks Ocean...good point about the straps. After Fred review i am more in favor of FlyDoor as it appears to be slightly more confortable.

Still a lot of "question marks" about the lenght and wide - i´m still using my very first board at 130x38 for every conditions! i´m bit afraid that the fun factor would be highly reduced due to size even if the plan is for the Door to be a 2nd board....

Well, guess will need to somehow make the best educated guess possible and trust it!

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tiago1973 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:10 pm

Ocean
small note on the footstraps: i use to had undone footstraps but now i´m using a specific Loctite glue for screws and never happen again. u may want to try if it is a problem....

Return to “Reviews”