davetherage
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: F-One Bandit III review

Postby davetherage » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:32 pm

Hi Guys,
Thinking about buying a Bandit 3 quiver. Am 175 lbs and an intermediate rider, and so am thinking a 8 and 11m quiver combined with a light wind board. Do you reckon this would work? Also from reading everything the bar sounds like it sucks. I am thinking of going with using a 2010 North Trust 5th Element bar. Has anyone had any experience using this bar with the Bandit 3? Does it work ok etc?

Thanks guys.

scotti
Rare Poster

Re: F-One Bandit III light wind relaunch

Postby scotti » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:15 pm

I came from SS Rpm's and loved them! the B3 however is an even better kite but I've found one drawback aside from the velcro release.

In 14 knots and under my 10m does not relaunch. I live in a area with good winds but can lull from time to time. An experienced kiter but cannot in deep water get this thing to relaunch. Reverse launch doesn't work as with a c kite to flip it onto it's back. The auto relaunch doesn't work. The only success I've had is leaving my board pulling a steering line in about three feet and swimming as fast as possible towards the kite. This allows one wing to catch and sometimes but not all it will work it's way to the edge but more often than not just falls back on it's leading edge. Standing in shallows I can run towards the kite and walk to the edge and get it up. Obviously it's the delta shape to blame as my Rpm's, Revs and even Fuels would go up in very light winds. 10 is the biggest kite I want to fly, assuming the 13m would relaunch in less than 14 knots or less?

If you've has similar findings and any suggestions please let me know. thx!

shock01
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Garda lake
Favorite Beaches: le morne, fuerteventura
Style: freestyle
Gear: bandit3 - custom board 128

Postby shock01 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:19 am

You're right Scotti, The B3 is a great kite in the air but...the auto-relaunch doesn't work in light winds.

The only things you have to do are:
1)put the board on foot to get more water resistance
2)pull e release the front lines (1,5 meters) more times, until the kite will capsize.
3)pull a back line just a bit, to get the limit of the wind window and relaunch.

scotti
Rare Poster

Postby scotti » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:06 pm

Thanks for the info. I have tried this method numerous times pulling the center lines in then releasing and it's very difficult to have it roll onto it's back. Even if you do manage to have the kite capsize more often than not pulling steering line even slightly will bring the kite back to the leading edge down position and starting over.

Too bad the delta doesn't reverse launch. If anyone else has a suggestion please let me know.

thanks

scotti
Rare Poster

Postby scotti » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:13 pm

Great write up in response to the first post on this thread.

Am thinking of getting a north quad bar but aren't the north lines alternating larks head and pig tails. The b3 attachments on kite are all knots so would need four larks heads.

Secondly does the north quad bar allow the steering lines to be shortened at the bar like the B3 bar is you slide the floate up to uncover the three knot options. When I first got the B3 I dislike it and found the low end to be lacking. I shortened the steering lines by one knot and immediately had more low end without the kite flying so far forward. The pro riders advice..

I'd go for the quad bar but if it means the lines are useless that come with and the steering lines can't shorten then it doesn't seem like an option. Any info would be great.

thx

Kobrin
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Zeebrugge, Vrouwenpolder
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco, hamata kitevillage, kremasti
Style: Big air, freestyle, wake
Gear: North vegas 12m 2008

North evo 2009 7m and 2012 9m

Aboards Z-series 2013 133*41
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby Kobrin » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:32 pm

Even with the lines who have a not, one easely can make a larkshead with the quad control bar.

We tested a best nemsis 2010 with it.

No problem !

The quad bar and the 5th element have 3 knots.

factory setting is on the middle one.

http://www.northkites.com/public/conten ... x_eng.html

Just go for it! :D

Willboff
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tenby, Poppit, Fresh West, Broadhaven, Pendine.
Favorite Beaches: As above.
Style: Wild.
Gear: Bandit 9 & 13.
Fanatic Duke, north X ride.

Postby Willboff » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:02 am

Here are my thoughts...

After 6 or so months with the bandit I've found.

1. Kite loops are nuts just make sure you 've got enough height because the loop is long.
2. You gotta have plenty of back line slack or the kite just over sheets and you can't do a thing with it, the factory setting I found is the best for me.
3. The QR sucks, don't know why they haven't changed it from the very first Bandit. Had a nasty experience and got sent flying down the beach unable to undo it, eventually just managed to pull the whole loop off once I stopped bouncing. One inverted finger and a bashed shoulder, thanks F-One!! :nono:
4. The chicken loop is leathal, that thing comes off whenever it wants. Especially when riding toeside or hitting a lip and changing direction quickly.
5. In high winds it moves about alot especially the 7m.
6. When moving through the window it generates alot of power which can catch you out and send you over the front.
7. The depower/trim strap can be hard to adjust as it gets stuck and unless you have the QR handle on the left is always below the bar and gets tangled as there is so much of it when fully depowered.
8. Jumps can get seriously high if you try hard enough. :thumb:
9. Light wind relaunches are a pain.

Quite a few negatives there, don't get me wrong though, all in all its a really good kite and I'm very pleased with my set. :D

Morten W
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sydvestpynten / Amager Strandpark (DK)
Gear: Cabrinha and F-one kites / Naish and Spleene boards

Postby Morten W » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:24 pm

Oqion - what is up with the need for an adjustable stopper ball??? The F-one bar does have an adjustable stopper ball!

(See http://www.bayareakitesurf.com/blog/ind ... 99&catid=2)

I don't know if other changes have been made - maybe they fixed other issues as well?

Morten W
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sydvestpynten / Amager Strandpark (DK)
Gear: Cabrinha and F-one kites / Naish and Spleene boards

Postby Morten W » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:46 pm

By the way, any input to choice of sizes for a three kite quiver for both wave and freestyle. I'm 95 kilos (210 lbs).

I'm thinking 8 / 11 / 15, but I'm unsure whether I'll need a smaller kite for waves and wether I'll ever need a 15 m2 due to the bandit's perfomance on the low end?

J-GAR
Medium Poster

Postby J-GAR » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:29 pm

I ride the Bandit III for freestyle and waves and have the 7,9,11 quiver. I am 180lbs and this covers me from about 14mph to over 30mph. The 15 is probably too big for you, especially in waves. For your size, I would probably go 8, 10, 13. I know another guy who is probably over 240lbs and he rides a 9,13 quiver.

Return to “Reviews”