Rare Poster
Gear: none
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Philippines Kiteboarding lessons?

Postby Jemimaru » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:13 am

Hello guys :)

Im going on a trip to Philippines for 18 days. and I was wondering if there are any good kiteboard schools or places to get good lessons maybe also get a licence if possible.

i have been looking online but all the sites I found for kiteboarding schools in Philippines look very iffy and unprofessional. :nono:

I would be very grateful for any tips or info.
:bye:
cheers
Jemimaru

Biggest Air
Rare Poster
Style: Old School Rules !!!
Gear: 9m and 12m 09 Naish Helix
10m 11 Slingshot Rally
135 Shinn Player Limited Edition
Various other 'Museum' pieces !!!
Brand Affiliation: None: The one I'm using at the time!

Re: Philippines Kiteboarding lessons?

Postby Biggest Air » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:43 am

You can't really beat Ocean Republic on Boracay Island...

lenker
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Bulabog

Postby lenker » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:10 am

Biggest Air wrote:You can't really beat Ocean Republic on Boracay Island...
Shameless plug that. Do you know all the other schools in the Philippines? How can other Boracay kiteboarding schools not beat Ocean Republic? They are all the same, the instructors leave one school and work in another.

Back to the question. I am aware of four different places where kiteboarding is taught. One of which is Manila, where the teaching happens either in Lake Caliraya or in Subic Bay. However, being only 18 days here makes Manila hard, because it takes a while to drive to the locations and instructors usually only teach at the weekends.

The other three places are: Daet in Camarines Norte, Puerto Princesa in Palawan and the already named Boracay in the Western Visayas. Both Daet and Puerto Princesa have only one kite school and usually only operate in the Amihan season (November to April).

Boracay has about ten kite schools in the Amihan season and about five in the Habagat season (June to October). Ocean Republic has already been named, so I will name the other, larger kiteboarding centers that are just as reputable as Ocean Republic, in no particular order:
  • - Isla
    - Pinas
    - Hangin
    - Freestyle
    - Habagat
By the way, all the schools I named in this list (save Isla) operate also in the Habagat season. As far as I know Ocean Republic does not operate during this season.

Boracay is a good choice when you are also looking for nightlife and party. I don't know about Puerto Princesa but Daet certainly does not have much nightlife. Both Puerto and Daet will be a little more on the quiet, nature side whereas Boracay is an all-year buzzing tourist magnet. What speaks a lot for Boracay is that over the year it is the windiest of all places that have kite schools in the Philippines.

caveman
Rare Poster

Postby caveman » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:33 am

My wife learned to kiteboard with Freestyle in Boracay. My son will take his lessons with them when we take our holidays there in Jan. I cannot comment on the other schools because I have no experience with them but we've been very happy with the friendly atmosphere and service at Freestyle. :thumb:

doublerumandcoke
Frequent Poster

Postby doublerumandcoke » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:03 pm

Some facts and some not quite right.
Isla work out of a dive shop in low season
Ocean Republic working out of Calypso.
There's a big difference between the schools, from no helmets (or $2 bicylce lids) or impact vests and waist harnesses and unqualified staff to all IKO staff, full school specific equipment, every student wears the right gear without question.
Freestyle is midway with a good youthful energy.
Some instructors move around, but some pick their teams on recommendation.

For my money there are 3 good schools, well run that use the right gear. But to name would be shameless pimping apparently!!

SO i suggest Jemimaru emails them and sees what they say
Not sure why you think all their websites look dodgey......

DRC

SBBeachbum
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SBBeachbum » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:59 pm

doublerumandcoke wrote:
For my money there are 3 good schools, well run that use the right gear. But to name would be shameless pimping apparently!!

DRC
No. Naming the three schools and explaining why would be answering the original question. So please.

Jemimaru
Rare Poster
Gear: none

Postby Jemimaru » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:06 pm

thanks i will try to contact them when im there and get some details.
lenker wrote:
Shameless plug that. Do you know all the other schools in the Philippines? How can other Boracay kiteboarding schools not beat Ocean Republic? They are all the same, the instructors leave one school and work in another.

Back to the question. I am aware of four different places where kiteboarding is taught. One of which is Manila, where the teaching happens either in Lake Caliraya or in Subic Bay. However, being only 18 days here makes Manila hard, because it takes a while to drive to the locations and instructors usually only teach at the weekends.

The other three places are: Daet in Camarines Norte, Puerto Princesa in Palawan and the already named Boracay in the Western Visayas. Both Daet and Puerto Princesa have only one kite school and usually only operate in the Amihan season (November to April).

Boracay has about ten kite schools in the Amihan season and about five in the Habagat season (June to October). Ocean Republic has already been named, so I will name the other, larger kiteboarding centers that are just as reputable as Ocean Republic, in no particular order:
  • - Isla
    - Pinas
    - Hangin
    - Freestyle
    - Habagat
By the way, all the schools I named in this list (save Isla) operate also in the Habagat season. As far as I know Ocean Republic does not operate during this season.

Boracay is a good choice when you are also looking for nightlife and party. I don't know about Puerto Princesa but Daet certainly does not have much nightlife. Both Puerto and Daet will be a little more on the quiet, nature side whereas Boracay is an all-year buzzing tourist magnet. What speaks a lot for Boracay is that over the year it is the windiest of all places that have kite schools in the Philippines.
thats a very helpful reply thanks a lot :D however if those schools have sites that you know of please provide them.
doublerumandcoke wrote:Some facts and some not quite right.
Isla work out of a dive shop in low season
Ocean Republic working out of Calypso.
There's a big difference between the schools, from no helmets (or $2 bicylce lids) or impact vests and waist harnesses and unqualified staff to all IKO staff, full school specific equipment, every student wears the right gear without question.
Freestyle is midway with a good youthful energy.
Some instructors move around, but some pick their teams on recommendation.

SO i suggest Jemimaru emails them and sees what they say
Not sure why you think all their websites look dodgey......

DRC
you make a lot of sense. one must be sure of the quality, safety and qualification of the training before going with it. however I do not see why it is shameless for you to tell a fellow (kiteboarder-to-be) which is best school to go to. it is a natural question for a beginner to ask... some schools might give you the impression that they are the best when u contact them via e-mail only to be shocked that they are the worst :jump:

thanks for the info everyone.. if anyone wants to add any more info would be nice as well :D

lenker
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Bulabog

Postby lenker » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:33 am

Jemimaru wrote:however if those schools have sites that you know of please provide them
Dude...

Ocean Republic
Isla
Pinas
Hangin
Freestyle
Habagat

...all of them first result.

doublerumandcoke
Frequent Poster

Postby doublerumandcoke » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:45 am

SBBeachbum wrote:
doublerumandcoke wrote:

DRC
No. Naming the three schools and explaining why would be answering the original question. So please.

SS Beach bum. OK but i'll add a 4th as they are getting there.

Ocean Republic
Run as a hobby by a Brit, so he has a passion for his school and not as a business. v Professional. All gear is School orientated and not sales orientated, BEST guroo, kahoona kites and Nobile School Series boards. Instructors are hauled over the coals if he spots students without a helmet or impact vest. Upwind location.

Isla
Good team. Use all new F1 Bandit kites and frequently replaced (as they sell them), although not specifically school kites. Big Crazy Fly boards, again in good condition. Some instructors let the side down by allowing students to learn without helmets or vests. Middle beach location busy but do take students along the beach to learn.

Habaggat Kite Village.
Run by Swiss guy who takes alot of pride in his school and resort. Very hands on and still does alot of teaching himself. Students wear helmets and vests for most part. Down wind location but with space.

Freestyle
Good young crew and atmosphere. BEST guroo kites and kahoonas, assortment of large beginner boards. Almost all local instructors. Owners are keen to teach themselves too. Some instructors won't insist their students wear all the safety gear. Not sure if they have many impact vests for them. Middle beach location, busy but some instructors will move students to less crowded areas. Very passionate about their riding.

Spent 6 seasons on Boracay, 2 teaching so i think i know how the schools run.
I know many at most schools and some will like what i write and some won't. But its the way it is.

Low season the schools low key due to costly premises on white beach, some have friends with businesses, others are hooked up with the big dive shops or resorts.

Biggest Air
Rare Poster
Style: Old School Rules !!!
Gear: 9m and 12m 09 Naish Helix
10m 11 Slingshot Rally
135 Shinn Player Limited Edition
Various other 'Museum' pieces !!!
Brand Affiliation: None: The one I'm using at the time!

Postby Biggest Air » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:08 am

lenker wrote:
Hmmm. Shameless ? Well as a four year Boracay veteran, I have had ample opportunity to observe the goings on there. Shameless ? Well in terms of safety, I think they are unparalleled. Shameless ? It's a forum, I'm entitled to my opinion !

Yes, I do know the Owner personally, but then I know the Owners of some of the other schools as well and count some of them amongst my friends. I kite the whole lagoon and have eyes in my head. My job is safety related, so I know what I am talking about. Safety is driven from the top; not everyone is equal, despite the IKO tag that some of them carry. And I think others have already mentioned the 'Sausage Machine' mentality of some of the schools - with some of them it's all about throughput and money.

Anyway, there's plenty of good advice herein...

Hope Jemimaru got what they wanted...

Return to “Kitesurfing”