JBart
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Helping out a newbie :)

Postby JBart » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:07 pm

Hi everybody,

I'm new to the sport but fell in love with it after a few days of beginner learning classes and have planned a trip to Kenya for a few months (taking a break between jobs) to do my best to master it. It's clear that the world of kitesurfing is a little bewildering and having stumbled across the friendly forum (have ready many of the posts relating to newbies and other stuff!) I'd like to humbly ask you for your advice.

From my research it seems the Trigger 2010 is an excellent 'ambitious newbie' kite-I need a good price but also would like the performance that allows a newbie to progress quickly. I want to buy the kit here in the UK as I think it will be cheaper and I can also get better access to different brands etc.

At a guess, it seems I would be well served by a 9 & 12 m kite but I'm not sure about what bar size is good or board size. I'm 80 kg and 182 cm. I'm told the wind in Kenya will be good in September and December and weaker in October and November. I hear the Trigger kites have strong power so my idea is to use the 9m in good wind and the 12m in lighter wind. However, perhaps the 10 & 14 m would be a better combination?

If you can, please could you provide some advice on whether it should be 9 & 12 m or 10 & 14m, what board and what bar would be good? Or any other brands/packages you would recommend? I'm thinking of getting a Dakine harness as I have some of their other kit and that is excellent. Also, if you know anything about kitesurfing in Kenya your advice would be appreciated!

Thanks so much in advance! :thumb:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Helping out a newbie :)

Postby Toby » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:24 pm

check for some location and wind info here: www.kitebeaches.com

Kenya sounds like a nice place!

Let us know your weight, this will help for kite size and board size.

JBart
Rare Poster

Postby JBart » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:20 pm

Hey,

Weight is 80 kg and height 180 cm and male if it matters.

Jan

Feng
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Franceville, normandie, france
Favorite Beaches: beauduc south of france
Gear: Cab 13 SB, Cab 9 Xbow, Cab 8 2013 SB

Postby Feng » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:36 pm

Last year I spent two weeks in Kenya (Nyali beach).
First, buy a pair of booty as you have massive sea unrchin over there.
Second it is very warm so for the same wind speed, the lift on the kite is lighter.
For example, in UK arround 18 knots I use a 9m (I am 100Kg) but in Kenya I used a 13m.

JBart
Rare Poster

Postby JBart » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:09 pm

Hey all,

Thanks for the advice :) If anyone else wants to share their thoughts please do! :D

Wray118
Medium Poster

Postby Wray118 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:33 pm

Hi there Jan , i have been kiting now for about a year and i am about the same weight as you .
The kit i bought after a few months has been perfect for me and i have no need to replace it for a while .
Board ; Nobile 555 143 x 40
Kite ; North rebel 12 mtr
North rebel 8 mtr
The kites were bought new 2010 as i did not want to worry about wear and tear on lines/bar or breakages .

I am not saying go out and buy the kit i have but you could use it as a guide.
I started off with just the 12 and this kept me busy for about 6 months until i was confidant to go out in stronger winds.
Better to buy a few quality items than lots of old gear in my opinion.

Regards Dave

Return to “Kitesurfing”