Forum for kitesurfers
dacronkid
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: cabrinha ids self landing problems

Postby dacronkid » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:11 pm

Roberto , thanks for the reply. Yes its been good down here all morning. Did a downwinder from new buffalo to Michigan city this morning and plan on doing another one this evening if the wind holds. I dont feel sorry for you though with all the riding you get at Muskegon. Water is 83 degrees down at this end of lake michigan. I dont think i can adapt an O-SHIT loop on the rear flying lines on these new cabrinha bars ,but i will look and see.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:37 pm

@dacronkid,

Is it the case that after releasing Q1 that your kite does stay on it's back on the ground quite nicely? ...and it's only when you start walking up the lines it starts to fly? I'm guessing that's the case.

In any event try this method...

Fill 30lbs of sand in your kite bag, attach a snap hook of sorts that would fit chicken loop.
Position the bag on the beach, same spot you'd stand if you were going to self land.

When you go to land, stand near the kite bag, release Q1, kite falls to the ground and lays there on it's back like it's supposed to do. It might hover depending on how hard the wind is blowing.

Transfer your CL to the snap hook on the kite bag, now there's something holding onto your kite.

At this point the kite should just sit there, on its back on the ground, held in place by the kite bag instead of you and your harness. The kite bag should easily hold it there, maybe it slides a couple inches, no big deal.

Now you're hands free and should be able to simply walk up to the kite and secure it. Shouldn't have to touch center lines at all with your fingers or anything else.

I use this method all the time to land my kite from the center line. If I try walking up the center line the kite starts to fly.

If you don't like the sand bag find something else you can tie your CL loop around, anything solid will do, like a car or tree etc. Use something.

A water self rescue is different but easy enough as well but I wouldn't swim up the center lines like they show in the video, especially in stronger winds.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:55 am

dacronkid wrote:Roberto , thanks for the reply. Yes its been good down here all morning. Did a downwinder from new buffalo to Michigan city this morning and plan on doing another one this evening if the wind holds. I dont feel sorry for you though with all the riding you get at Muskegon. Water is 83 degrees down at this end of lake michigan. I dont think i can adapt an O-SHIT loop on the rear flying lines on these new cabrinha bars ,but i will look and see.
I looked at a 2010 Cab bar today and you should be able to add an O shit on either/both outside lines. It will take a bit of careful cutting/knots/splicing, etc. If you have any old bars with OSR handles you can cannibalize for parts. In some ways it's easier to do both sides. If done precisely the same way it will simplify the tuning process. If you have any questions about how to do it feel free to contact me.

PS...MKG does have that magical quality about it I must admit. Still, I like to get down to St. Joe and MC in the fall on the big el Norte's for those sweet waves! I almost drove down there this morning...almost regretted it until breeze filled in here @ 4pm, 9-12m kites flying.
Last edited by robertovillate on Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Morten W
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sydvestpynten / Amager Strandpark (DK)
Gear: Cabrinha and F-one kites / Naish and Spleene boards

Postby Morten W » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:43 pm

This simple landing procedure works with all kites without releasing anything, but please be careful and ready to engage the first time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1X1uVLf0I0

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:27 pm

Strange thing is, when I'm going to the 09 IDS Xbow hand over hand on the front lines, it usually stays upside down.
When I'm letting it out upside down on the front lines to launch it on the water, it usually turns over into the parked position.

kitesafeflorida
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Indian Rocks Beach, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Any beach without garbage on it!!!!
Style: Waves and flatwater
Gear: Cabrinha IDS kites and boards. Nobile boards as well.
Brand Affiliation: Watersports West and Cabrinha

Postby kitesafeflorida » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:26 pm

Thought I would chime in.

Instructor on the IDS kites, so I am using the system all the time with students.

In very light winds, the kite wants to hover a bit, but usually flips back on on the leading edge as if you are setting the kite down on the ground. From that point, easy to wrap up lines, or walk up lines.

In stronger winds, the kites lays down nicely as the video on Cabrinha's site demonstrates. Someone mentioned that there isn't much wind in those videos but I beg to differ. It looks fairly breezy to me.

Years ago, I experienced these same scenerios with 5 line kites.

The good news, is the kite isn't out of control. Even if lines or pulleys break, the IDS system does the job. Is it perfect. NOPE. Is it effective and an improvement from past designs by Cabrinha, I think so.

Typically, I self land with my kite CL attached to a fixed point, land the kite at the edge of the window, 3 or 9 o'clock, and then walk out and secure kite. I have been using this technique since Cabrinha brought the Crossbow to production back in 2006/07.

The only point I would like to add that hasn't been mentioned is the bungee line that is attached to the IDS landing line. If alot of tension is placed on that line, it can stretch out and loose its ability to spring back tension. If this is the case, the IDS landing line can wrap around the load line and cause more tension and potentially cause your IDS system to not work as effectively. Basically, the bar is not sheeting away as far as it was designed to. So if that happens, it will effect how the kite behaves when using the IDS system.

The easiest way to check your bungee tension, is to depower the kite in the air. If your IDS landing line is slack, then your bungee needs replacing. With many of these below the bar safety's, a bungee is present and the same stretching is possible.

Easy fix, replace the bungee line.

For what its worth, the bar system that Cabrinha has out right now, is much improved from years past, but I would still like to see some refinements in other areas. OS handle, better CAS strap, ect.

Good luck!

Galeltic
Very Frequent Poster
Location: i m lost cause kiting adrenaline steal my soul with heart

Postby Galeltic » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:10 am

Morten W wrote:This simple landing procedure works with all kites without releasing anything, but please be careful and ready to engage the first time:

its only for ozone kite !

BK
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: CABRINHA Rider and Representative

Postby BK » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:26 pm

Hi Rusty. When I first started playing with the IDS system I did get this situation to occur when deploying the the IDS with the kite overhead. Since then I have always put the kite at the edge of the window, and then just go up the front lines (deploy IDS). With the kite sitting on the edge of the window, on the ground, in light wind it normally falls over in the normal rest position. In medium wind it just sits on it's side until I get up to it. If it is really windy it will roll under to the position it would be in if you were carrying it on the beach, and it stays low to the ground with a relatively light and consistent pull on the front lines.

Have you tried deploying the IDS to land with the kite at the edge of the window? Is it rising like you are saying if you use this side landing method?

Thanks.

liv2surf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Waddell Creek, Scott Creek, Miramar-Half Moon Bay, Coyote Point, Pillar Point Harbor-HMB
Style: waves & foil
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters 7, 9, 11. Firewire Dominator surfboard (quad), no straps. SS SpacePickle adapted to foil (LF Foilfish foil), two foot hooks, front and back.

Postby liv2surf » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:38 pm

Galeltic wrote:
Morten W wrote:This simple landing procedure works with all kites without releasing anything, but please be careful and ready to engage the first time:

its only for ozone kite !
No, its not only for the Ozone kite. This is a pretty general method that works with many kites. I know other people who use this for other non-Ozone kites. It requires that kite depowers plenty (and will sit on the edge of the window) and that you can reach the top front line to pull it around into the wind at which point it will drop into rest position. Like many other methods your mileage may vary and it may not work equally well in all conditions (like nuking wind). Some kites require one to pull in both afront lines to get access to the top line.

Galeltic
Very Frequent Poster
Location: i m lost cause kiting adrenaline steal my soul with heart

Postby Galeltic » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:57 pm

correct liv2surf
i just make up that for only ozone kite cuz ozone kite on vid
unless u have genius mind to answer ! congrat ! :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”