Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Where to stay in Hatteras for a long weekend. Watermens OK?

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
bszekely
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Revere, MA
Gear: Cabrinha xbow 11,13
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Where to stay in Hatteras for a long weekend. Watermens OK?

Postby bszekely » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:24 pm

I'm going to be in Cape Hatteras for a long weekend (Fri-Mon) and I'm looking for a place to stay. Normally, I'd sleep anywhere as I do when I go there, but I'm taking my mom as a 70th birthday present because she has always wanted to see this place I talk so much about. My ideal situation was to rent a small house for us, but all the houses won't book long weekend rentals more than 10 days out, which is no good since I want to lock it down. Price is not so much of an issue, but somewhere nice with a water view would be great. Watermen's Retreat seems ideal but I've read that it can be a bit loud. Can people who have stayed there weigh-in ? What about Waves Village?

Does anybody have another suggestion?

Thanks!

Outer Banks Kiting
Rare Poster

Re: Where to stay in Hatteras for a long weekend. Watermens

Postby Outer Banks Kiting » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:58 pm

check out the Inn on Pamlico Sound, in frisco. Soundfront Bed and breakfast. Mom will love it.
innonpamlicosound.com

stakas
Frequent Poster

Postby stakas » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:55 am

Don't stay in the Waterman's. That place is an overpriced bad joke. Even if you stay there you are not allowed to use their launch site unless you take lessons. Very frustrating.
Take your Mom to Ocracoke for a day-trip. It is a magical place.

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Postby Tony » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:25 pm

I stayed for a week at Waves Village with the family in June. Great place to stay. Launch privileges etc. Have not stayed at Watermans.

2tall
Medium Poster

Postby 2tall » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:27 pm

stakas wrote:Don't stay in the Waterman's. That place is an overpriced bad joke. Even if you stay there you are not allowed to use their launch site unless you take lessons. Very frustrating.
You don't have to take lessons there. Just go in the shop, get the armband, and ride. I stayed there and loved it. As far as price...I thought it was very fair for the amenities. The noise was not an issue at all. You can ask to stay in one of the units on the north side away from Mojo's if you want. Check to see what night the bands play...I think it is Thursday. With two little kids to worry about, we had no noise issues, and we were right next to Mojo's. We will definitely go back. Good luck.

lex123
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Narrabeen / Long reef Beach, Sydney, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Narrabeen
Longreef
Style: Wake
Gear: North Team Series 133
North EVO 11 & 7
Brand Affiliation: North and Naish

Postby lex123 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:15 pm

stakas wrote:Don't stay in the Waterman's. That place is an overpriced bad joke. Even if you stay there you are not allowed to use their launch site unless you take lessons. Very frustrating.
Where are you getting your information from?. Watermans guests are allowed full use of the launching landing and compressor facilities.

bszekely
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Revere, MA
Gear: Cabrinha xbow 11,13

Postby bszekely » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:11 pm

Thanks everyone for their input. inn at pimlico was booked, and waterman's isn't that much more expensive for the 2bdrm. I'm probably going to roll the dice and go with that.

2tall
Medium Poster

Postby 2tall » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:36 am

bszekely wrote:Thanks everyone for their input. inn at pimlico was booked, and waterman's isn't that much more expensive for the 2bdrm. I'm probably going to roll the dice and go with that.
You won't be disappointed. Good winds!!

Jahmi
Frequent Poster

Postby Jahmi » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:01 am

In the same area as Waterman's and Waves Village is Sunset Resorts. They rent through Midgett Reality and I stayed there for a week in April. Not sure if they will do a long weekend but the units are nice and there's a nice grassy area being the pool to rig kites on. The landscaping is not completed yet but it is workable. I toured Waterman's and Wave's Village when there and felt Wave's was the nicest of the three. While Watermans was nice I felt the units where small compared to Wave's and Sunset Resorts plus no hot tub. The lady giving the tour at Waterman's mentioned that the launching and landing would be off limits during ground lesson times. In the grand scale of things you will not be disappointed at any of them. Have fun while there and good winds!

Return to “Travel”