kite_CLE
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Boston Area, Boca Raton Florida, and Singapore
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

San Francisco Aug 19-25

Postby kite_CLE » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:23 pm

I will be visiting San Fran for the first time later this week and would like to get some riding in. We will be staying in San Jose for a couple days and San Rafael for a few. I think Foster City is on the agenda, but I was wondering what spots are recommended. I would love to hit Crissy Field, but only have a 3/2 short arm and am not sure if that will be good enough for the main Bay. I'm planning on bringing both my 9 and 12 meter kites (165 lbs).

Also, my girlfriend is thinking of taking a day of lessons while we are out there. She has been flying a trainer for a few months and is ready to move up to full size gear. Any recommendations of a good and reasonably priced school, preferably foster city area?

Thanks in advance for the help.

austroKiter
Medium Poster

Re: San Francisco Aug 19-25

Postby austroKiter » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:30 pm

the people at http://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/forum/ should be able to answer your questions.

eag
Medium Poster

Re: San Francisco Aug 19-25

Postby eag » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:04 pm

you need a full 4/3 at minimum for Crissy and should be a good kiter. Just ask locals for advice if you go there because the currents and wind conditions can be unusual and dangerous.

If you can, drive out to Sherman Island in the delta. It's warm and usually great wind with some fun flatwater and swell. Kitopia is a great school out there, or try www.kitethebay.com or www.wowkite.com for lessons in the bay.

Watch the fog, if it's super foggy in SF and nearby, then Sherman Island will be going off. If the fog is all the way back at the coast you might be better off at 3rd ave (foster city)

hope that helps

Return to “Travel”