Forum for kitesurfers
geopeck
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kites that can be parked on a wingtip - a nice feature

Postby geopeck » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:49 pm

I've been flying a lot of deltas recently on water and snow and if I want to take a quick break or talk I often come in, depower the kite, put a wingtip on the beach and take a few steps upwind. I have a wide sandy beach without a lot of people on it and I continue to keep an eye on the kite while I'm watching other riders or talking (obviously you need to keep your guard up somewhat) but I find that this is a really stable position with the delta kites. It's also nice if you're going to hand the kite off to a friend, if you're going to tie it off to self land or self launch, and is an amazing attribute on snow where one is getting into and out of bindings. Also when snow is difficult to walk through you can kite up to your bag, drop the kite and drink some coffee, etc. repower the kite and ride which is almost as good as the convenience of a back lines kill on a foil.

Lots of the other higher aspect, flatter kites would clean your clock if you tried to do this regardless of how clean the wind is. Is this more a function of the AR, the bridle position, or the depth of the kite?

I don't really see people discussing it much and I don't know that there is a simple term for it. I'm surprised that it isn't something that companies are using as a specific selling point in their kite descriptions, or trying to design into all their kites.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Kites that can be parked on a wingtip - a nice feature

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:57 pm

I am not sure what you mean by talking about delta kites only, as it is not a "new" feature at all ?
(assume it is because you have a delta kite, and maybe compare to higher AR C kites ?)

Since 2004 and the first bow kites, this was one of the best and most useable features that the C kites could not do unless extremely stable wind (and there never is, on land).

AR did not matter much - it was the sweep that made these kites so stable both in the air and on the "tip" on the ground :thumb:

So agree - this feature is a thing used over and over, and come to think about it - maybe almost every session or more (did it as late as today, when I had to dismount a difficult mounted GPS from my helmet, and put it on my arm instead :naughty:)

:D Peter

kiteingcolin1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: ainsdale/westkirby/anglesey
Favorite Beaches: rosnigher
Style: old style
Gear: nobile 666,132 and 135, 2008

E.H.RIPPEHR, NEMI HP

Postby kiteingcolin1 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:25 pm

delta kites great at water release

was the original reason for this so you could kneel down on the beach and pull the bottom of you wetsuit open to release all that trapped water,

used it like that today, great water release feature,

geopeck
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby geopeck » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:34 pm

Peter - I've flown or owned other SLE and bow kites that could do it to some extent, but not to the level of comfort that I have with the delta shaped kites I am using now. It seemed like they would usually have a little bouncing or tugging occurring, or a smaller area in which steady tension had to be maintained to keep them from rolling backwards.

ulx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter-Ording, Germany
Favorite Beaches: Klitmøller (Denmark) and South Africa
Style: Strapless Surf- and Foilboard
Gear: Slingshot SST 8,7,6,5
Firewire Vader
Ketos Foil with Kakoo board 108x44

Postby ulx » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:00 pm

Well, I don´t know how comfortably it can be done with a delta as I have not tried with one. But I have done in regularly in the past years with Gaastra Max 08, Slingshot Fuels 08 and 09, Liquid Force Hifi Comp ´10 and Airush Generator 08 and 09. Never had a problem with it. I always assumed that it could be done with almost every kite. Am I wrong here? Have I just been very lucky?

Clew In
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Clew In » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:03 am

Hey,

Parking it on the side since 2006 Crossbow.

Clew In

Return to “Kitesurfing”