I need advice regarding Naish Momentum 2011 Urgent

Forum for kitesurfers
Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

I need advice regarding Naish Momentum 2011 Urgent

Postby Ludmil » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:11 pm

Hi Guys,

I`m aware that very few of you tested Momentum 2011.
Those who already have rode it please help me for taking prompt decision.

I`ve ordered a 2010 Momentum 132 but received very good offer for the new one instead.
Actually the price has been offered to me is the same as the 2010 and since it has received very positive reviews, meanwhile there`s nothing in the net about the 2011...

I ride mostly in very choppy cond.and I do mostly unhooked tricks but I afraid that will happen the same as when I changed 2008 Thorn with 2009.
Stiffer, difficult to control in powered cond.probably very technical for me...

L.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: I need advice regarding Naish Momentum 2011 URGENT

Postby tautologies » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:50 pm

Ludmil wrote:Hi Guys,

I`m aware that very few of you tested Momentum 2011.
Those who already have rode it please help me for taking prompt decision.

I`ve ordered a 2010 Momentum 132 but received very good offer for the new one instead.
Actually the price has been offered to me is the same as the 2010 and since it has received very positive reviews, meanwhile there`s nothing in the net about the 2011...

I ride mostly in very choppy cond.and I do mostly unhooked tricks but I afraid that will happen the same as when I changed 2008 Thorn with 2009.
Stiffer, difficult to control in powered cond.probably very technical for me...

L.
Hmm, I have ridden the new one, but not side by side with my older one. I think it is very similar. The graphics is different and really nice. The footstraps are different from my 2010. They are less cushy, which gives you more contact with the board...the board is just super nice.

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster

Re: I need advice regarding Naish Momentum 2011 URGENT

Postby Ludmil » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:01 pm

Alex, I knew you`ll respond fast - thank you for that.
Do you see any significant difference regarding the comfort and pop /I know you do raileys :) /.
Less cushy were the pads of Thorn 2009 /actually hard I think/ and I didn`t like the feeling.
How about the Thorn compared to the Momentum having in mind that I ride in far from perfect conditions?

L.

sourra
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Reflex 141 + Naish Torch/Cult/Momentum/Custom + Bluebottle Custom
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: I need advice regarding Naish Momentum 2011 Urgent

Postby sourra » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:09 pm

If you like to hit kickers and sliders - go for the 2011, 138 cm momentum. Otherwise - go with you heart =)

But if you think about it - The Momentum was new in 2010. Even though it was a great board, it's likely (but not certain) that rider feedback during the past year has lead to modifications on the 2011.

deevious
Medium Poster

Postby deevious » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:33 pm

Apart from smaller fins, a different design and better footstraps, I don't think there'll be much difference.
Naish will tell you otherwise, but product life cycles are increasing at the moment and quite a few have now gone from a 1 year cycle to a 2 year cycle. Modifications being minor. Compare it to the difference of a face lift and a model change in the automotive industry.
If you can get the '11 for the same price, you should for sure go for it though.
It's higher value if you decide to sell it in the not too distant future and has better equipment. The smaller fins should make it more skatey.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:11 pm

deevious wrote:Apart from smaller fins, a different design and better footstraps, I don't think there'll be much difference
[....]
Modifications being minor. Compare it to the difference of a face lift and a model change in the automotive industry.
If you can get the '11 for the same price, you should for sure go for it though.
It's higher value if you decide to sell it in the not too distant future and has better equipment. The smaller fins should make it more skatey.
All of the above is good info!

I noticed that the Thorn is more skatey, but I didn't know they changed the fins on the momentum too. I must admit my run on the new momentum was a little short. I fell for the 136 thorn, so we had a little thing going pretty fast.. :jump:
I think it felt very similar. I mean if I compare a new board to an old board and everything else is the same the new board will have more spring in it :-) Pop good on either 10 and 11...but you've got to know I really suck unhooked...I'm getting back to it this year tho..my back is better..

The new foot straps it took a little time to get used to on the thorn..I really don't mean that in a bad way, it was just a new timing on jumps.....but it does feel more accurate if you know what I mean. Last years ones were very soft, which can be good...especially for cruising, but I think the new ones will be more responsive.

The foot straps are harder, but they do soften up. I think they were changed due to the initial pushback from their team...this is pure speculation tho...but you saw a lot of pics with new boards and older straps last year...I think primarily that was because of the accuracy you get from harder pads. On the pads I could go either way. After a short while on the new pads, they felt comfy. If you don't like them I am sure there are older ones floating around for super cheap. As mentioned above resale on the newer board is way higher. I would lean that way...but then again...

The board itself is super nice in either version.

assmaster
Very Frequent Poster

Postby assmaster » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:42 am

Don't worry about the footstraps the board is for bindings anyway. Also you should be thanking someone that Naish finally put fins on one of their twin tips thats smaller than a surfboard fin. I'm sure the board is fine.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:05 am

assmaster wrote:Don't worry about the footstraps the board is for bindings anyway. Also you should be thanking someone that Naish finally put fins on one of their twin tips thats smaller than a surfboard fin. I'm sure the board is fine.
so I;m guessing you ride with bindings...got any recommendations for bindings? Some tips on riding with boots? Does it increase the risk of knees getting f#$ed?

sourra
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Reflex 141 + Naish Torch/Cult/Momentum/Custom + Bluebottle Custom

Postby sourra » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:52 pm

Stay away from kiteloops and riding too overpowered unhooked and your knees will be fine. Boots or not - make sure to work out your legs to strengthen the muscles around your knees. Heavy squats and balance exercises are the shit.

Return to “Kitesurfing”