Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Tacking the board. How in the world...

Forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Tacking the board. How in the world...

Postby tautologies » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:44 am

Peter_Frank wrote: The other is tacking where you rotate your body the opposite way around, so if your board heads upwind "left", you turn around "right" (clockwise), with a fast middle step on the front of the board :D
This is of course the one I'm aiming for in the beginning.
This type is quite easy, compared to the other tack at least, and I can usually manage it almost every time on good days (but will lose it sometimes when waves and chop, which is very common here) because of practice.

You have one advantage - that you dont have to step out of your straps before you tack, you just head upwind with speed into both straps (and you can do the same on a strapped waveboard).
Every other person I have heard this from say to get out of the back strap, and place your backfoot higher on the board. It might just be in the beginning I dunno. Then send the kite the other way and only after that actually push the board and turn with the kite...
I really like that - as standing out of the rear strap is useless on a raceboard (unless a lot of wind/power) IMO :naughty:
Can you explain this? Every time I feel there is power, I have more control in the strap. Moving the foot forward of the strap and placed in the middle, I've felt has worked better in light wind...that said I am a complete novice in this so...
Here is an older clip from a cold winther/spring day where Bjørn Rune Jensen shows this tack in light wind

I am not racing (but ride A LOT), but I think others can tell us what tack they prefer ? (and maybe different ones in different conditions ?)

Kindly, Peter Frank
nice..super smooth..he defintiely initiates the turning of the kite before making the rest of the tack...how far the kite has moved is kind of hard to say tho....I guess we should have super slow-mo :-)

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby frankm1960 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:04 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
mike_e wrote:Here's a good photo sequence of a strapless tack as demonstrated by Ian Alldredge:

A good description, but IMO totally useless regarding tacking a raceboard - as a strapless waveboard tack this way is soooo easy that most can do it maybe the first time, or at least learn very very fast.

The first video I can't quite figure out what's going on with the kite, he's turning his body same direction as the board I see, but what happens to the kite lines, do they not twist and then you rotate the bar when on new tack?? I haven't had a chance to try this on land yet and my brain can't seem to work it out

There are (at least) two ways of tacking - the "showoff" like Ronnies videos shows, and the "safe" mode, like I do it myself (probably because of too little skill, yup).
Why is this the showoff mode? Just curious.
The big difference is, that you can tack where you rotate your body in the same direction as your board, and go from strap to strap directly.
Very difficult (IMO) and risky - but of course, can you manage every single time, it is awesome I think :thumb:

The other is tacking where you rotate your body the opposite way around, so if your board heads upwind "left", you turn around "right" (clockwise), with a fast middle step on the front of the board :D

This type is quite easy, compared to the other tack at least, and I can usually manage it almost every time on good days (but will lose it sometimes when waves and chop, which is very common here) because of practice.

You have one advantage - that you dont have to step out of your straps before you tack, you just head upwind with speed into both straps (and you can do the same on a strapped waveboard).

I really like that - as standing out of the rear strap is useless on a raceboard (unless a lot of wind/power) IMO :naughty:

Here is an older clip from a cold winther/spring day where Bjørn Rune Jensen shows this tack in light wind

This video I can visualize exactly what's happening with the kite, although it took about 50 views to get it :lol: Very quick feet movement, like a two step where he replaces one foot with the other, the kites hits zenith at the same time the feet shift I suspect to counter act the lack of buoyancy I guess.
I am not racing (but ride A LOT), but I think others can tell us what tack they prefer ? (and maybe different ones in different conditions ?)

Kindly, Peter Frank
Thanks for that video.

Hybridkiter
Medium Poster

Postby Hybridkiter » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:17 pm

I only started getting some tacks when I realized the the kite has to be going in the new direction before starting the foot switch/shove. Hard move for sure. Next step for me is improved footwork. Once that gets better I bet I can tune the kite position again.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:36 am

Hybridkiter wrote:I only started getting some tacks when I realized the the kite has to be going in the new direction before starting the foot switch/shove. Hard move for sure. Next step for me is improved footwork. Once that gets better I bet I can tune the kite position again.
yup, that is exactly what Alex A also said.
I need to work hard on this...I tried yesterday and at some point I was close but no sigar...so to speak.

mike dubs
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: southend, whitstable, camber
Favorite Beaches: west end of camber sands
Style: Surf
Gear: FireWire, BWS drifter, nobble skim board, 12/9/7 bandit 5's

Postby mike dubs » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:04 am

Taut,

Hi, I cracked the tack recently, the Ian Alldredge one not the spin under the bar version, that said one direction I'm less consistant at than the other.

Took about 50 attempts, just didn't gybe and tried tacking every time, knackering and lots of falls, keys to me are;

Don't hesitate, be decisive in movements.

Carve hard as kite comes upto 12.

push board round woth back leg, scoop board under you with front leg.

keep kite moving in new direction, helps you go weightless.

skip/reverse legs/feet but decisively.

Still dont always get them, but like gybing when in your muscle memory it comes easier.Enjoyable move, I'm strapless by the way.

mike

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:24 am

It has taken me hundreds of attempts and I am still far from perfect at it, but I get most of them now at least in steady wind and flat water. I am riding the 2010 North LTD race board.

I do the tack shown in the Bjorn Jensen short video that Peter Frank posted above. I come out of it with no twists in my lines. The other tack method is to follow your board around and you come out with your lines twisted.. I am told this is more difficult and if you screw it up, you will be in a worse position in the water.

Anyway here are some tips:

- loosen your feet in the straps

- bring your kite straight overhead (your lines should be vertical) while carving a bit upwind

- as you slow down suddenly carve very hard upwind ..kick the board around ..push with your back foot and pull with your front

- pull your feet out of the straps quickly ..the back one first ..and rotate your body to face the wind and then even farther to the new direction

- your back foot will instinctively try to step to the front area of the board

- your front foot is coming out and will then instinctively step to the rear area of the board

- be sure to keep pressure on your back hand throughout the move (it then becomes your front hand)

Sometimes the foot switch is more of a small jump than stepping. It is definitely easier to do in strong wind than light wind. I put surf wax all over the front of my board because my foot often lands in front of the front foot pad.

Timing is everything. If you fall past your board, you kicked the board around too soon.

Have fun.
:wink:
CG

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:49 am

Here is a good video to visualize the foot work. Of course the tack is much easier on a skimboard, but this video helped me visualize what I had to do.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:46 am

I tried again a little today...it was not exactly a success. I think I need to take a day and just go for it..instead of one or two here and there...today I ended up so overpowered, it was hard to even ride...

In anycase, I seems to lean back too much and at the same time not pusing the board around enough...

I think adding some versatracktion on the front will do good for the board.

btw. I talked with the guy who made the Naish board...and he is working on some special light wind fins... :thumb: :thumb:

kitepark
Rare Poster
Gear: 2009 fuels

Postby kitepark » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:32 pm

check this:

JoshNoe
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock, Crandon Park, Stilltsville, Miami Beach, Aventura, Dania Beach, Fort Lauderdale (Tiki Beach)
Favorite Beaches: Bimini Bay, Boca Chita, Stilltsville, Stone Harbor New Jersey
Style: Freestyle and Race
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblades, Custom 138 Board with Straps, DC Custom Raceboard, NPX Assassin Shorty, 3/3, and 4/3 Fullsuits, NPX Cult Impact Vest.
Brand Affiliation: Brand Manager for NPX and Pryde Waterwear
Location: Brand Manager for NPX and Pryde Waterwear, Americas

Postby JoshNoe » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:08 pm

Here are two things that helped me get my tacks more consistent:

1. Don't feel like you need to get your feet in the straps right away. Most race boards balance a little better at low speeds if both of your feet are in front of the straps. Plus, this lets you be less accurate with your footwork.

2. Keep your body vertical. When you're swinging the board under you, it's tempting to bring your butt downward and legs out to your side almost like you're initiating a backroll, but this totally throws off your balance.

Not sure if these will help you. Keep working at it!

Return to “Kitesurfing”