Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cabarete wind statistics vs actual reports.

Forum for kitesurfers
CHU
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cabarete wind statistics vs actual reports.

Postby CHU » Sun May 11, 2003 2:19 pm

:?:

I've looked wind statistics for Cabarete on windfinder.com, and according to them, there's only 18% days in June and 11% days in July and August when it's over 4 Bft. Average wind, according to them, for these months is about 6-7 knots.

However, looking through reports about Cabarete on this forum, it seems like the summer is best time there, with about 90+% kiteable days, and winds 15 - 30 knots almost like everyday.

Can please somebody explain - why there's such difference between statistics and actual reports :?: :?: :o :o

I'm planning to go there middle of June till the end of August, so I'm really confused now what's the wind like there at that time! And is it really worth going! Any help will be really appreciated.

Statistics there are given for Puerto Plata, because as I understand that is the closest weather station to Cabarete. But, as I understand, this is pretty close, so the statistics should be representative.

I've checked that site for other locations, where I have been, and they seem to give correct statistics. For example, they give 75 - 90% days over 4 Bft for spring and early autumn in Egypt, and this is actually how it blows there in these months. The similar story with Spain. So, the site seems to be trustworthy.

Thanks.

Dima

Katrine
Rare Poster

Postby Katrine » Sun May 11, 2003 7:18 pm

The wind statistics are definately wrong.
I stayed five summer in Cabarete and in june, july august we have 90 % kiteable days, last year 98%.
The wind picks up around 9 am with 15 knots and gets stronger (between 20 and 30 knots ) around noon.
The wind stays usually until it gets dark around 8pm.
We have now already since two weeks really summer winds.
Everyday up to 30 knots and wind the whole day.

I do not know from where do they have the statistics but it is true that the wind in Puerto Plata (35 km from Cabarete) is really different.
Even Cabarete has not the same wind as Kite Beach has because of the position. Cabarete is a bay. The wind at Kite Beach is always stronger and much more stable.

If you need any further information regarding accomodations , Kite beach or Cabarete write me an e-mail

fleur@kiteboardingcabarete.com

Katrine
ProKite Cabarete
Kite Beach Hotel

hawaiikiter
Frequent Poster

Postby hawaiikiter » Sun May 11, 2003 7:38 pm

CHU
Rare Poster

Thanks guys!!

Postby CHU » Mon May 12, 2003 3:05 pm

:D
Stats are impressive!

Now I feel relaxed.

See you on the water.

Dima

marina
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Central Coast, California
Favorite Beaches: Central Coast, California
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Ventana, Mexico
Oregon Coast
Baja Pacific Side
Peru
Style: waves, jumping and wiggling
Gear: mixed
Brand Affiliation: mixed

Postby marina » Tue May 13, 2003 12:29 am

Just got back from a kite exploring holiday scouting out new sites on the East Coast of the Dom Rep. I will post how to read the wind cards for Cabarete/Dom Rep tomorrow but basically you have to factor in the wind direction and thermic influences. FYI, wind direction for Cbarete is actually offshore and thermic pulls it in so we have nice side shore winds from the right, with slight onshore component.

Summer rocks here!

all the best,

Marina

Return to “Kitesurfing”