Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Nice Kite Racing Video

Postby Toby » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:54 am

Great footage of racing

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: Nice Kite Racing Video

Postby Laughingman » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:02 pm

What a load of crap, 4knots.... I'm sure this is not made for people in the know to watch but seriously, what are you gonna do when it is actually blowing 4knots and you are expected to perform... while the whole world watches... it's going to be a debauchery!

IOC, take note, the IKA is full of sh1t.

Sincerely

Pete

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:50 pm

Laughingman wrote:What a load of crap, 4knots.... I'm sure this is not made for people in the know to watch but seriously, what are you gonna do when it is actually blowing 4knots and you are expected to perform... while the whole world watches... it's going to be a debauchery!

IOC, take note, the IKA is full of sh1t.

Sincerely

Pete
The People with the right equipment will perform just fine.

IOC, take note, Pete is full of ...... :lol:

--
Gunnar

Ivel
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Style: mostly strapless surfboard
Gear: not panzy bow kites
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Ivel » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:22 pm

Most of those riders have such horrible body positioning, they all are in the poo-stance. These guys race and they can't even tune their kites properly

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:24 pm

Hey ivel, show us your position :wink:

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board

Postby Laughingman » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:28 pm

yes the right equipment being a sail boat....
You can't seriously tell me that an inflatable kite is gonna fly in 4 knots? Maybe, a ram air, but even that is a huge stretch.
Even if Ram Airs would fly, I doubt that Cabrinha will be producing ram airs for the Olympics...

I wish I was wrong, cause that would be fantastic for us Great Lakes Kiters, it is not that I don't want to be able to kite in 4 knots, it's just that the damn kite will not fly in 4 knots. Not today's kites at least.

ELLINAS
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby ELLINAS » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:07 pm

Ivel wrote:Most of those riders have such horrible body positioning, they all are in the poo-stance. These guys race and they can't even tune their kites properly

You obviously have no idea about racing. Don't you.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:08 pm

Laughingman wrote:yes the right equipment being a sail boat....
You can't seriously tell me that an inflatable kite is gonna fly in 4 knots? Maybe, a ram air, but even that is a huge stretch.
Even if Ram Airs would fly, I doubt that Cabrinha will be producing ram airs for the Olympics...

I wish I was wrong, cause that would be fantastic for us Great Lakes Kiters, it is not that I don't want to be able to kite in 4 knots, it's just that the damn kite will not fly in 4 knots. Not today's kites at least.
Yep at the moment inflateable kites cannot fly in those conditions. BUT there are kites that can, and I am lucky to race for a brand that has a high performance 21m2 Ram air kite that in combination with a modern race board works well beyond what current LEIs can do in light breezes. In 6 years a lot of development can happen and board, fin and kite technology will get a lot better. So I am in no doubt that even then other brands will at least try to get kites developed for their team racers that will allow them to kite in the minimal conditions too.

So let's be open to the idea and give Markus and the IKA a chance to get the one part of the sport into the olimpics that has the chance.

I am pretty sure that all the guys and girls who compete in the tour would love a chance to represent their country in the olympics. It's probably not so interesting for the non racers, but this is not about them.

--
Gunnar

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:10 pm

gmb13 wrote:
Laughingman wrote:yes the right equipment being a sail boat....

Yep at the moment inflateable kites cannot fly in those conditions. BUT there are kites that can, and I am lucky to race for a brand that has a high performance 21m2 Ram air kite that in combination with a modern race board works well beyond what current LEIs can do in light breezes. In 6 years a lot of development can happen and board, fin and kite technology will get a lot better. So I am in no doubt that even then other brands will at least try to get kites developed for their team racers that will allow them to kite in the minimal conditions too.

So let's be open to the idea and give Markus and the IKA a chance to get the one part of the sport into the olimpics that has the chance.

I am pretty sure that all the guys and girls who compete in the tour would love a chance to represent their country in the olympics. It's probably not so interesting for the non racers, but this is not about them.

--
Gunnar
I'll accept that ram airs especially the FS's can fly and perform beyond what any LEI when you are talking about low wind performance, and I have experienced the difference the right board makes in your ability to plane and get up wind when it seems you just have a puff, but today's equipment will not fly consistently in 4 knots average wind speed (ram air or lei), and the IKA is saying very clearly in that video that they will, which IMHO makes them liars. Anything can happen tomorrow, to lie about it today is wrong.
As far as what manufacturers do, until the format is outlined on how the kite racing will work in the Olympics I doubt you see many kite companies invest to much in it. Who knows, there may be strict guidelines on what equipment you can use, you know, the kite company with the deepest pockets....who sponsors the IKA...is given sole rights to supply the riders with their kites? It could happen, it has before!

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:27 pm

I'll accept that ram airs especially the FS's can fly and perform beyond what any LEI when you are talking about low wind performance, and I have experienced the difference the right board makes in your ability to plane and get up wind when it seems you just have a puff, but today's equipment will not fly consistently in 4 knots average wind speed (ram air or lei), and the IKA is saying very clearly in that video that they will, which IMHO makes them liars. Anything can happen tomorrow, to lie about it today is wrong.
As far as what manufacturers do, until the format is outlined on how the kite racing will work in the Olympics I doubt you see many kite companies invest to much in it. Who knows, there may be strict guidelines on what equipment you can use, you know, the kite company with the deepest pockets....who sponsors the IKA...is given sole rights to supply the riders with their kites? It could happen, it has before!
We can kite in 4 knots ground level winds. The Video clearly states that we have to use longer lines to be able to get to slightly stronger wind currents higher up.

I do quite a lot of training in almost no wind conditions and a lot of times those are in the 4 -8 knot range. It's super hard and the trick is to make 0 mistakes and make sure you stay on the plane the entire time. If the wind drops below the 4 knot range, and I make a mistake and stop planing than most likely I will have to swim back to shore.

The 4 knots mentioned in the Video are conveying what is possible, sure that it may only be done by a handful of riders, but it can be done.

I do have to admit though that the IKA are possibly making one small mistake by wanting to limit the kite size to 19m2 in 2010. That might stand in the way of 4 knot Races.

--
Gunnar

Return to “Kitesurfing”