Forum for kitesurfers
skinner
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The kites you never see.

Postby skinner » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:49 am

Here in West Aus we tend to get alot of travellers in summer (dont know why the wind here is shit ; ) so you see a wide range of brands, however you mainly see:

Slingshot
Cabrinha
North
Naish
Core
Airush
RRD
Ozone
Best
F-One

You also see a handful of:

Griffin
JN
Flexifoil
LF
Eclipse
Blade
takoon

Its funny as it depends on which beach you kite at too, southern beaches have more SS and northern beaches more Airush as this is relates to local dealers and its only 45 mins drive. (we kiters dont like to drive too far)

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:34 pm

Kamikuza wrote:Japan ... just like it says under my avatar pic there to the left :D
Ah! You and Dan must be sedentary riders then.

When I travel, I don't bother change the "base" location of my profile (which btw doesn't show under my avatar for some reason).

Or could it be that the location shown below the avatar is automatically determined by the IP?

@ Dan: cant' find "where its going on" either on Google Earth.

@ BeachBum: I typed "here" and "where its going on" properly.
There's room for improvement for search engines; hopefully they will find Japan and New Zealand right away, when typed by blind riders.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:13 pm

There are a lot of brands that only really sell in their own country. Some even only sell in their own locality. The kite market is fragmented for sure.

Everyone wants a piece of the market and are prepared to lose money buying market share, but you have to hit critical mass soon or you can't survive. I don't know how many brands manage, there must be 20 brands at least who don't sell more than 1000 kites, if that even.

SBBeachbum
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SBBeachbum » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:19 pm

alexrider wrote:
Kamikuza wrote:Japan ... just like it says under my avatar pic there to the left :D

When I travel, I don't bother change the "base" location of my profile (which btw doesn't show under my avatar for some reason).

Or could it be that the location shown below the avatar is automatically determined by the IP?

There's room for improvement for search engines; hopefully they will find Japan and New Zealand right away, when typed by blind riders.
... the search engines don't really care if a blind guy or a french man type "Japan" in the search field.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:29 pm

sq225917 wrote:There are a lot of brands that only really sell in their own country. Some even only sell in their own locality. The kite market is fragmented for sure.

Everyone wants a piece of the market and are prepared to lose money buying market share, but you have to hit critical mass soon or you can't survive. I don't know how many brands manage, there must be 20 brands at least who don't sell more than 1000 kites, if that even.
Which raises the question. How many persons minimum does it take to run a kite producing company and will selling 1000 kites per year ( 80 kites per month) cover their expenses ?

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:07 am

SBBeachbum wrote:
alexrider wrote:
... the search engines don't really care if a blind guy or a french man type "Japan" in the search field.
@BeachBum

The fact they don't care is precisely the reason I said there is room for improvement :lol: .
I wasn't suggesting to find Japan, when you type Japan; this works pretty ok.
An improved search engine should really care and should find Japan or New Zealand, when the guy who's clearly blind types "here" or "where it's going on", from all the clues given away by the context of the on going thread. Got it?
You know BeachBum, perhaps my joke wasn't of the highest standard, but it definitely kills it when you feel obliged to explain it in simple English.
:jump:
PS: The initial message I was trying to convey is that the location shown under the avatar is not necessarily the location the rider is posting from.
Last edited by alexrider on Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:09 am

alexrider wrote:

Yours shows "Thailand" now ;) but then we both probably took the time to fill out our details a bit more than most people do ...

DocDeuce
Medium Poster
Local Beach: IOP, Sullivans Island, Folly Beach

Postby DocDeuce » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:18 pm

Chucktown, SC

mostly: Cabrinha, North, Naish, Best, Slingshot, Ocean Rodeo and 1 griffin
I saw my first Epic kite a couple of weeks ago... looked good.

Never seen: Airush, flexfoil,RRD, core, Blade, Gaastra

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:08 pm

Also never seen :

Zeeko
Genetrix
Royal
Crazy fly kites

Mr Danger
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: I shape my own

Postby Mr Danger » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:19 pm

JN, Advance is quite well spread in austria, germany and italy, swizerland.
Gin in swizerland
Core very big in gerrmany, specially north of germany
RRD huge in italy

All very good kites...realy are.

Return to “Kitesurfing”