Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Aruba in October?

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Re: Aruba in October?

Postby adamj2281 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:01 pm

Is it gusty to where when you go to jump it's sketchy in the air, or gusty to the point your kite falls out of the sky and then powers up all of a sudden. If I go there, I'm thinking I'll ride at least one day at Boca Grande and the rest of the time near the hotel.

I've ridden in Maui, with what the locals considered a gusty wind, and it was not fun, but that was mainly because I was overpowered on a 10m.

buellie21
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Florida's East Coast- Sebastian Inlet, Vero South Beach, North Side of Ft. Pierce Inlet.

Cape Cod- W Dennis, Stage Harbor
Favorite Beaches: Sebastian Inlet FL, Ft. Pierce FL, Colona Watersports Beach in Sharm El Sheikh Egypt
Style: Freeride currently
Gear: Nobile T5 137x41, SB3 12m & SB3 8m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby buellie21 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:53 am

It's gusty at Fisherman's hut beach or as the locals said "Disgusting"! I didn't think it was that bad but maybe that's because i was on my first vacation in a few years and just happy to be able to walk to the kite beach and kite every day. Stay away from the Lee of the hotels and you should be alright.

I'm going back in November and plan to hit Boca Grande a few times as well. Enjoy!

Oclatworthy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cas En Bas, St Lucia
Favorite Beaches: Uk Beaches: South Coast - Poole Harbour, Southbourne, Lancing, Shoreham, Hove.
Caribbean: St Lucia - Cas En Bas, Veux Fort, Grand Anse.
Style: Freestyle, Unhooked, Big Air, Board Offs
Gear: Epic Screamers 7,9,10,12,14, Epic Renegades 6,9,11, Cabrinha Custom 133 LF Bindings, Cabrinha Thruster 6.1
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites Team Rider

Postby Oclatworthy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:52 pm

Yeah can be a bit gusty... bit of info on the spot here

http://www.kitesurfbeaches.com/?Article=fisherman-s-hut

check the weather forecast, not looking to good at the moment!

Linhster
Rare Poster

Postby Linhster » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:32 pm

I love it there in Aruba... Yes it is gusty, but the crystal clear and flat water is awesome. Here is a webcam link to check up on it daily if you want.
Pay attention to the fisherman North and South cams. If it's windy, you'll see riders.

http://www.setar.aw/index.php?option=co ... Itemid=480

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD

Postby adamj2281 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:34 am

Cool, did you see anyone riding down near Druif Beach where the Tamarijn is? I'm thinking about staying on that end of the beach instead of in the high rise section.

Linhster
Rare Poster

Postby Linhster » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:07 am

Due to a mostly easterly wind, the western side of the island is flat water. It's also means that you will be getting kiting in offshore wind (that is why it's gusty there). The northern and southern part of the island has the least wind turbulent (due to the land objects). The central part of the island is not recommended for kiting. Lots of wind shadows and poor consistent wind.

At the fisherman hut area, there are kite school that can offer rescue if you can not make it back to your launch (the fee for each rescue is $20). This way you have back up if the wind drop or if you are over power and can not come back.

Druif Beach is in the middle section... Unless the wind is SSE (almost never), I would not risk it.

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD

Postby adamj2281 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:59 pm

Ok cool, I'm staying more towards Fisherman's Huts now, figure I'll ride there a couple of mornings and then head to Boca Grandi when I can. So, just out of curiosity, how does the whole rescue boat system work, do they just come by and pick you up with the kite in the air still? That would seem logical, I've just never been anywhere to need a rescue boat, and I probably won't need one here, but just in case.

Return to “Travel”