Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Airush snowkite

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Craz Z
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Airush snowkite

Postby Craz Z » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:15 pm

Thanks Tony for the professional discussion I can now agree and disagree and we both know this issue has come up since the begining of the 2 kites out there. We certainly are not the first to discuss this nor will we be the last to discuss this.

You are correct there has been awesome innovations and progressions for both kinds of kites thats why I keep seeing them equally more and more advancing toward the same goal. There was a period of time many years ago where I would certainly agree that foils had the upper hand, but as technology has changed so has the window of one being more advanced then the other changed and slowly become equal the way I see it.

Trying out kites working with local shops and demo daze are the only way to make an intelligent purchasing decsion. Being a newb its hard you must put your faith and guidance in the hands of your instructor and hope he/she has your best interest in hand rather then putting you on a deal of the day kite.

You and I both fly tubes and foils and we know what we like to fly and buy I just wanna help people get the fact that putting that bar in your hands and trying all the kites out before choosing a kite based on a prefix or an opinion foil or tube included. thats all.

Happy Kiting Tony and say hi to Joel for me hope to enjoy this winter with you guys again for an epic montana snowkiting season.

So how bout those airush's anyone tried one? Crest or Outback?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:36 am

talk about rage .... man you guys need to chill.....

every body count to 10

now every body calm.

I enjoy foils and leis. however i prefer the feel of a foil to the lei. generally more powered and more stable. better in gusts and far easier/faster to launch and land solo. of course it depends on the kite your are flying not all kites are created equal. foil or lei

wreknball
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby wreknball » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:36 am

Craz Z wrote:So how bout those airush's anyone tried one? Crest or Outback?
Good Question. I don't know, most companies don't stock their Snowkites until snowkiting season.

snobdr
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dewey, Atlantic City

Postby snobdr » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:40 pm

i prefer the feel of a foil to the lei. generally more powered and more stable. better in gusts and far easier/faster to launch and land solo.
Sure a foil has more power per size, its a flatter kite, but more stable? better in gusts? Thats a bit of a stretch.
Bridles dont give, you can feel every puff of wind. If the wind is gusty and shifty foils are prone to foilding up on you and opening up at the worst time. The only foils that seem to handle gusts well are peter lynns, but they have their own positive and negativer attributes.
Launching and landing on both lei and foil kites solo can be done safely and easily when you know what your doing so once again "my kite is better then yours B.S."

I think the best advice given was the try before you buy and judge for yourself. Thats why some people drive ferrari and some drive cadillac. Everyone has their own preference.

ggkite
Rare Poster

Postby ggkite » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:57 pm

Hi all
Great to ear speaking about snowkite and Airush
this is my point of view about foil or tube :
First of all, I'm a defender of foil over all for reasons of easy use.
You don't need to connect your lines each time , and I leave in less than one minute. And When there are 50 cm of snow power, you are very happy not to walk in the power to install your lines and pump the kite!!
Of course, I see the freeride 's part of the snowkite, the way to go up in the mountain and go down with the kite in the bag . And we can do it many times in a day , and doing it with a tube kite , you loose your time and as I told, in one minute I can start !!
The big advantage also of a foil is the security, when you are on the top of the mountain and you have to land, with a foil it's easy instead of a tube , it keeps its form and you have to deflate it quickly.
With a foil you can take off and land your kite alone, you don't need anybody, and the foil is the root of our sport
Of course, I'm not against tube kite !!
Moreover, I don't think foils could be as performant as tube , tube is quicker, and its turn is really better, and over all, tubes have a depower that foils will never have
For the practice of freestyle and cruising, or only doing « pirouette » closed to the car park, tubes are perfect.
Concerning Airush, I've been working for 3 years with Benoit Menetrier ( our designer) on the development of foil kite, our kites are more and more competitives, I'm really satisfied
The « Outback » is a real toy, it turns in all way, is lightly, and secured , i love it!!
The «  Crest » is the ideal weapon for the walk in the mountain, the 2011 is lighter in the bar, we win speed and we changed the tissues for one lighter and solid

Of course, we still have work, but all the team gives 100% on it and we have many ideas for our future foil, it's just the begining of the story.....

@ rafaeltapia , I advise you a crest 10 , it the ideal size for a good walk on the snow

to conclude, no matter if you ride with tube or foil, the most important think is to have the smile all the day because our sport is just so coool

jerome josserand
Airush team

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:32 am

"once again "my kite is better then yours B.S.""

no its not. i have foils and sle's and use both on land and water depending on the conditions.

I have a direct comparison as i fly both types regularily. Do you?

Tuesaday i flew the 6m ozone access (foil) in 30+knots, Saturday i flew the 8m ozone light Sle 20 to 30+ knots.

I'm allowed to have a preference and my preference is foil for the reasons described.

wreknball
Frequent Poster

Postby wreknball » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:44 am

Hi Jerome, Thanks for the Info on the Airush Foils. I'm hoping to get an opportunity to try one out this winter.

Just a question: How many people do you see pumping up their Paraglider ??

Plummet. Kiter's like Jerome are on a different level than most, I value his opinion whether he is involved with a company or not.

Here's my personal favorite GG Videos :

snobdr
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dewey, Atlantic City

Postby snobdr » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:15 pm

Plummet
Yes i have flown both, was on a foil last week and packed it up after 20 mins, the last 5 were fighting with it to get it relaunched after if folded on itself. Also had time on a FS speed2 19M did its job but flew like a bus.
Do i own both, NO why would i buy something i wouldnt fly. I have buds that fly flysurfers and love them. Just not my cup of tea.
Ive had time on many foils from hq to ozone and havent found any i like as much as my LEIs.
Saying your kite does everything better is just B.S.

That vid of gg and chasta is sick. One of my faves also. Check out when they are flying like a paraglider. they even swap the bar around.

Craz Z
Frequent Poster

Postby Craz Z » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:37 pm

wreknball wrote:ust a question: How many people do you see pumping up their Paraglider ??
God do I wish you could pump up a paraglider there would be zero concern of a collapse thats for sure, but thats what hang gliding is for double the performance no concern of violent life threatning collapses especially the ones that can put you at risk for a locked in death spiral.

No kiter should trust their equipment/life foil or inflatable at those insane heights Jerome had a backup chute rigged to automatically deploy if something were to go wrong which they do. If you really want to soar get lessons and get a paraglider.

Foil or inflatable still the same outcome crazy fun this from a very seasoned paraglider pilot AP.

Here's waynes crash that had nothing ta do with the kite. Defective bar that were also installed on foils (I still can't figure out how this did not end up in a emergency situation snow or water that was a big fall!!)

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:11 am

those are some sweet vids. love the gliding.....

"Saying your kite does everything better is just B.S."

I didn't say that. foils are slower with less depower. thats there disadvantage. in some instances thats not a disadvantage.

ps foils folding in on themselves is all down to pilot error. me thinks you need a bit more practice snobdr.

Pss.When professionals speak we should listen. I say take the advice of Jerome. The rest of us are just argueing for the sake if it! or for commedy reasons! hehehe

Return to “Snow / Land”