Naish Helix 14
Best Waroo 12 '06
JL Model 3 139
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kite Anchor vs. Kite Buddy

Postby jurihc » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:26 am

Anyone have any input on the pros and cons of The Kite Buddy (www.thekitebuddy.com) and The Kite Anchor (www.kiteanchor.com)? They do the exact same thing except the kite buddy costs $65 and the kite anchor cost $40

And yes I do know that I could probably just make one myself for a heck of a lot less. Just curious about the differences and whether or not the kite buddy justifies the large price difference over the kite anchor.

Right now I just use a spare kite leash and wrap it around something fixed like a post or a lifeguard chair and it seems to work just fine

Thanks

FabsPH
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oahu, S shore
Favorite Beaches: Oahu S shore, Mokuleia,
Style: Free style wave
Gear: Eclipse, Underground
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse, Underground

Re: Kite Anchor vs. Kite Buddy

Postby FabsPH » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:26 am

don't know your local kite spot, but if you got sand or grass, you can self launch. Also, where I go, I always have a kite buddy (99% of the time), meaning a real person !

Or, as you said, make it your self. No idea why anyone would buy one.

And, I would never ever trust a gizmo more then myself !

Hybridkiter
Medium Poster

Postby Hybridkiter » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:34 am

coyoteface
Medium Poster

Postby coyoteface » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:24 pm

I have used the kite anchor for almost 2 years now and it has never failed. it is easy to screw into the sand and very strong. i had my kite fly up to twelve oclock in 35mph gusts and the anchor stayed in the ground.

my experience with plastic umbrella anchors at the beach has never been that great.

have converted 5 guys at my beach into using these kiteanchors, and one big thing not mentioned is that it saves a lot of wear and tear on the kites. i dont have to worry about pulleys getting stuck or a bridle catching around a wing tip when self launching off of the beach.

KiteSurfingKen
Frequent Poster

Postby KiteSurfingKen » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:42 pm

It looks like The Kite Buddy started life as a Sand Umbrella screw:
http://www.amazon.com/Beach-Umbrella-Sa ... d_sbs_sg_1
Beach Umbrella Sand Anchor - Blue by JGR Copa
$15.99 + $6.99 shipping

With the addition of some Resin to fill in the inside, some webbing, and an Aluminujm gated Carabineer.

Since I already have the webbing and carabineer, I will pickup some two part epoxy resin and make my own.
I might even grab two so my girlfriend's umbrella does not blow away ;)

Don Monnot
Frequent Poster

Postby Don Monnot » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:41 pm

I've got a Kite Buddy and don't use it very often. It appears to be shorter than the Kite Anchor, which looks like a standard soil anchor with a handle and leash, available at good hardware stores. The Kite Buddy works well, except it takes forever to screw it into the ground. The soil anchor type (make it yourself) looks like it would be quicker to install (and remove). I've used soil anchors for lots of other applications, and have no doubt they'd work well for kiting in nearly any type of soil except very rocky stuff. If it's rocky, good luck! There are times and places where having a fixed anchor point it super convenient, and there may not be a signpost/lifeguard chair in the best spot. A regular climbing carabiner is plenty strong, and readily available from REI or Erehwon (and lots of others).

Don

gonewiththewind
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gonewiththewind » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:59 am

KiteSurfingKen wrote:It looks like The Kite Buddy started life as a Sand Umbrella screw:
http://www.amazon.com/Beach-Umbrella-Sa ... d_sbs_sg_1
Beach Umbrella Sand Anchor - Blue by JGR Copa
$15.99 + $6.99 shipping

With the addition of some Resin to fill in the inside, some webbing, and an Aluminujm gated Carabineer.

Since I already have the webbing and carabineer, I will pickup some two part epoxy resin and make my own.
I might even grab two so my girlfriend's umbrella does not blow away ;)
Sounds like after you pay for the parts, do the shopping and the assembly, you'll be saving about $6/hour. You really showed them!

Any method of self-launching or self-landing that relies on a gadget is a bad idea if you ever plan to do a downwinder. You need to learn how to be self-reliant when kiting.

KiteSurfingKen
Frequent Poster

Postby KiteSurfingKen » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:44 pm

gonewiththewind wrote: Sounds like after you pay for the parts, do the shopping and the assembly, you'll be saving about $6/hour. You really showed them!

Any method of self-launching or self-landing that relies on a gadget is a bad idea if you ever plan to do a downwinder. You need to learn how to be self-reliant when kiting.
You assume too much if you think it will take 8 hours to assemble this, including the trip to the hardware store for the resin.

You are also making an incorrect assumption about my ability to self land and self rescue. I can do both proficiently when necessary.

This device is a matter of convenience. Given the choice, I would rather use an anchor to reduce the wear on the kite when possible. Especially considering our local launches.
:lol:

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:59 pm

any pet store or most hardware stores have dog leash anchors. these are very strong and much cheaper..

Don Monnot
Frequent Poster

Postby Don Monnot » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:36 pm

Dog leash anchors are dangerous for kiting anchors. They definitely don't hold well enough in soft soils (like sand). I've personally had them pull out and go flying through the air--not a good thing on a crowded beach. It happened to me on a deserted beach, with no harm. Don't use them!

Don

Return to “Kitesurfing”